iFI iPhono settings with DL-110 , and comparing with Graham Slee GA2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shiver, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Quick note on the findings when playing around with settings on my (new-ish) iFI Micro iPhono pre, in conjunction with Denon DL-110. And comparing it to my previous stage with the same cart.

Gear: modded RP3 > DL-110 > iPhono > 1m Atlas Element Integra > ProLogue Two > BJC 12 > ProAc Studio 140 MkII

iPhono settings:

All through the stage’s MM input. (I tried the MC input and at all settings it sounded too ‘over-driven’ with varying degrees of distortion and smearing.)

Load:
    • pF settings between 100 and 500 in steps of 100 (all at 47k Ohm resistive loading). Moving up the steps fills the bottom end out a bit, but very subtly. I settled on 400.
    Gain:
    • 40 and 46 dB options. Even with matched volume, 46 had more open soundstage and moderately enhanced resolution and definition across the frequency range, but especially so in the highs which subtly came to life. The cart seemed generally more natural and ‘happy’ at 46. More unforced energy and easy expression.
    Comparing the iPhono and Graham Slee GA2 Communicator - at close to as possible settings (200 vs 220 pF and 40 vs 38.5 dB respectively):
    • Both very natural sounding, but the Slee in a polished kind of way and the iPhono in a more airy kind of way. Both nice. Not a huge difference but notable. Slight preference to the latter.
    • Slee had slightly tighter and more defined soundstage. iPhono isn’t ill-defined in that way as everything is still held in a rock solid position, but just with a touch more openness and breathing space between instruments/voices. Again a nice sense of airiness.
    • Both extremely low noise.
    • But note, as above, switching the gain(especially) and load in the iPhono improved the overall delivery and seemed a much better match to the cart. Even though it appeared, in isolation, fine at 40 dB/200 pF.
    • I’ll compare both stages again with the M97xe/SAS, which will be a more even playing field.
    This the best I’ve ever heard the 110, and indeed this ‘table/system. The overall impression of the iPhono is of a natural, detailed, artefact-free, delivery that provides a feeling of penetrating further in to the performance than I’ve experienced before. Moreover it seems to match the ProLogue Two well: a neautral feed the tubes as such. Happy camping.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Matt Goulette, russk and bluemooze like this.
  2. russk

russk Forum Resident

Nice. I like the iFi a lot. Did you try any of the different RIAA curves? I have wanted to hear a Slee for awhile. Thanks for the post

3. Shiver

Cheers. I've played around a bit with them but left it on standard RIAA for now. From what I remember the eRIAA boosted the treble slightly, but not in a pleasing way. The IEC (RIAA + subsonic filter) 'for warped records' seemed to have a slight deadening effect on the lower frequencies on normal records, but haven't tried on a warped one yet!

Also briefly tried the different EQs, but only on recent LPs:
    - Columbia: touch splashier and slight loss of slam. More recessed soundstage
    - Decca: touch darker, rolled-off, diminshed stage. Like thin blanket over the speakers.

4. Shiver

...and worth nothing there's the SE version of the Slee, with more gain and likely better voiced for HOMCs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.