Jethro Tull - Aqualung - Steven Wilson mix VINYL now available separately

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TLMusic, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

If that's the case, I wonder what happened? I'm big Wilson fan, and his mixes never sound thin...

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I don't think it's as good as the other remixes being a little harsh in places but it is not thin sounding. Based on 2012 LP in the TAAB I/II box set.

3. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Man this is amazing!!!! You just made me buy the Wilson remixed vinyl even though I own an UK original. You get a lot for your money, a thick booklet, polylinered inner and a replica of the green label. I know "Aqualung" fairly well but haven't heard it in at least four years so I'm curious if I will notice any changes, difference.

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think you'll hear a difference and suspect you'll like it, but would be interested in your reaction after you've had time to listen to it, and compare it to the UK pressing.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Definitely! Might take some time though. But it's great to have a lavish edition of a classic album for that price. A favourite of Nick Cave too, he even named one of his sons "Jethro":)

7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Answering my own post. The replacement I got from Bull Moose is dished. I thought the idea of 180g pressings was to eliminate warps. :realmad:

8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I find that 180 and 200 gm vinyl can often arrive warped. Like I say though, it almost always can be corrected by the Vinyl Flat. I know this is a strange offer but if you want proof of this and want to check it out PM me. I would be happy to flatten your LP for you so you can see why anyone consistently buying LPs should have one of these $80 devices.

9. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Sadly my copy has several louder pops at the start of "Cross Eyed Mary. Even after cleaning it 3 times! Guess I'm going to have to return it to my local Indie record shop for a replacement. That said......I think this new remix sounds very nice. I own an original US Reprise and the Classic 200 gram. IMO.......Steve Wilson did an excellent job!

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Man, i'm sorry to hear that people are getting defective copies- mine had a tight spindle hole, but otherwise fine.

11. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Yeah......mine did to! But so does a lot of the new vinyl I purchase. I thought it might be something to do with the size of the spindle on my Clearaudio table. That said......I never have spindle hole issues with used vinyl.

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Many thanks for your offer. I was planning to get a Vinyl Flat to take care of some old albums that are warped. This will just drive me to get one sooner. Still, there's absolutely no reason for things that are marketed for audiophiles to arrive in such crummy shape. :shake:

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine too, but they went away through playing.

14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

No problem, just try one. For all it attributes, vinyl is and always ways an imperfect format. I've had mixed sucess with older thinner vinyl, especially with wavy warping. Newer heavy vinyl is almost always the dish warping you're talking about. The Vinyl Flat works great 90% or more of the time on those. You may never return an LP again. Imagine the postage you could save. There is absolutely no degradation in sound. In fact, the flatter surface should sound better.

ti-triodes likes this.
  15. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Just got this, definitely the best version if this I've ever heard

16. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I got this over the weekend. I think it sounds really good. No real clue it's from digital. My vinyl is very dish warped and side 1 had a bit too many pops, but they diminished after the first play, though they aren't totally gone. I get the feeling a replacement wouldn't necessarily be better, so I'll keep it. Apparently, there was bass on the master tape.

cement_head likes this.
  17. It really works on dished records? That's quite amazing. Working with a kitchen oven and thick glass plates, I have always been able to flatten warped discs, never dished ones...

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Say and tootull like this.
  19. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I have to chime in & say this is such a wonderful reissue. It blows away my original Reprise copy. The reissue sound is a lot less murky than my original. Luckily my copy is flat & quiet. For $20 you can't go wrong with this. The only difference I notice on the artwork is that the original cover was textured & the new one is not. Lastly, the rather large booklet that is included is very informative & a great read. Not often do I actually learn things from liner notes, but in this case you get Ian Anderson interviews as well as stories from the other musicians. All LP reissues should follow this formula if possible.

20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yes, it works best on heavy vinyl that is dish warped in my experience. It also works a lot better than glass plates because the groovy rings are sized to avoid the raised outer lip and inner label area. With the pouch it also takes the guess work out of temperature control using an oven. My Aqualung was dish warped as others have reported and is now just one of the many successes I've had. I find mine to be indispensable.

Monsieur Gadbois and ParloFax like this.
  21. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector Thread Starter

Yes, in my experience, dish warps are usually easily resolved by the Vinyl Flat. Just fixed a severely dish 70s Columbia record last week. Now it's flat.

Larger dish warps seem to be easier to completely fix than small edge warps, it's the little anomalies that even the Vinyl Flat seems to be ineffective on.

Apparently, I'm lucky, my Wilson remix Aqualung vinyl was pressed fine overall.

ParloFax likes this.
  22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thanks for the info. How long do you keep the 180g

How long did you heat Aqualung?

23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector Thread Starter

For an 180g dish warped record, I found it can take about three to four hours to fix using the Vinyl Flat groovy pouch.

Thinner records obviously will remold faster. It's probably best to be cautious at first and try the minimum recommended time, to avoid damaging the grooves.

I wouldn't be surprised if different groovy pouchs actually had different temperatures. The temperature variables and different vinyl formulations are factors that could make it wise to get a feel for operating the Vinyl Flat before attacking anything too valuable.

ti-triodes likes this.
  24. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Well, this thread got derailed.

25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Why? There are problems with the pressing. That's of interest as well as ways to fix it.

No one's stopping you from steering the thread in another direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.