Camcorder recommendations

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by danstone, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danstone

danstone Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for camcorder recommendations, as I know there are several knowledgable members here with video experience. Looking for good quality video, but have no plans for any professional shooting. Would not turn down 4K, if it's within my budget, but for my needs 1080P is sufficient (would prefer not going with 720P, though). Budget would be no more than $500, but under $250 - $300 would be preferable. No need for still photo capability, as I have a DSLR and would shoot stills with that. Have considered using the DSLR for video, and have tried shooting video with my iPad, but I'm needing something that can record for two to three hours continuously. Do not have need for all weather capability, but would not turn it down if it's within my budget and would not compromise video quality. Good quality built-in audio recording capability would be sufficient, but would welcome also having the option to use an external mike. Capability to attach LED light source would be nice. A camcorder that records on SD cards would be ideal, as I have several 16GB cards already. Any suggestions welcome, especially if I may have overlooked any considerations in making a good choice.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oooooh... 3-hour capacity will be tough. A lot of cameras will either run out of media or will shut down long before then due to overheating or running out of batteries. 16GB will not be enough to record 3 hours of HD material at a decent compression rate. 256GB, yes.

3. danstone

OK. Thanks, Mark.

Do you have any idea as to what kind of continuous recording time I could reasonably expect out of a consumer camcorder that might meet the other criteria I listed? I don't have a problem with having to buy higher capacity cards, if necessary. Regarding the battery time, I would usually be running off AC power during the times I needed the long continuous recording time. I certainly understand the overheating issue, and this is one of the reasons I wish to go the camcorder route instead of recording video with my DSLR. A camcorder would be far cheaper to replace, if I end up burning it out. What I will be using the camcorder for is to record family history interviews to preserve for handing down to future generations. Nothing terribly challenging in terms of video quality, but it's nice to have in HD. Interrupting the interviews every 45 minutes or so (roughly the max recording time of the iOS devices) is proving to be disruptive to the flow of the interviews, however, so this is my primary motivation for seeking alternatives (and thinking a camcorder might be the best solution). I appreciate your feedback, and any additional suggestions you may be able to offer in this case.

4. danstone

In case anyone else may ever have a need for a long, continuous, recording time while filming digital video, I have found there are several Panasonic models that can do this while recording in AVCHD Lite mode. For example, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 has a maximum continuous recording time of 13 hours, 3 minutes, 20 seconds, depending on memory capacity of the card and the AC/battery power. AVCHD Lite is not the best of codecs, but for my usage I doubt it will be an issue.

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

From your price range and desire for external mic connection, the Canon Vixia series fits. These have a maximum 12 hour recording time in one shot for any mode, up to memory capacity, then will start a new file 3 seconds later and repeat until memory is full. (I am not positive, but at higher bitrates it probably breaks at a 4gb filesize and starts a new file 3 seconds later.) Record in MP4 or AVCHD in various resolution/frame/bitrates:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders

I found this manual online for the R50/R52/R500 models:

http://www.okanagan.bc.ca/Assets/Departments (Administration)/IT Services/Educational Technology/et_pdf/Canon HFR500 user manual.pdf

I wish I could recommend one from my direct knowledge, but I haven't used one. I can say I have a Canon MiniDV and a Canon Hi8 that worked well in their times and probably still work perfectly if I dug them up - but if I had a real need now for long videos I probably would get a Vixia in that same price range.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  6. danstone

Thank you, John. I appreciate the recommendation, and will take a look at those as well. Sounds like they may definitely fit the bill. I've used Canon products in the past and have always had good experiences with them.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Seconded on Canon.

I shoot with a variety of Vixia cameras, and a 32 gig SD card, at the highest bitrate, will record for 2 hours, 56 minutes. I love that most of their models have optional manual controls for audio level, exposure, etc.

Canon has a store for refurbished cameras, and you can get some excellent deals with full warranty.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/clearance-camcorders

Here's an excellent deal on an HF-R600 for $249 through July 4th. The camera has a native 1920 x 1080 sensor, which is excellent. Higher pixel counts on camcorders is bad as you get worse low light performance in exchange for a still shooting feature you'll never use. Has an external mic input and optional external lenses like a wide angle adaptor.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/vixia-hf-r600-white

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    danstone and McLover like this.
  8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Great! Can you tell me what happens with its files, that is, does it break at ~4gb filesizes, as I only assume, and if so, how much if any video is lost as it closes one and starts a new file? I took a guess at the three second break because it does specify that between 12 hour continuous recordings (at low res and bitrate).

9. Chris DeVoe

It comes with software that imports the full length of the 2 hour 56 minute shoot with no breaks. I always shoot at 28 megabits/second so I have no idea what it does for longer files. I don't like the software, and import the raw files into my editing software. That causes a 2 frame gap between each 2 gig file, which is fine for my purposes, as I am shooting with multiple cameras.

I could test, but I am 550 miles from my cameras. Some of the higher end Canon cameras have dual SD card slots, and would allow you to relay record from one card to the next. I know you can go from A to B, but don't know if you can swap A and go back to that one. If you could find the budget, a refurbished Canon HF-G10 at $559 is exceptional. Dual slot, native 1080, nice big screen, great sensitivity, eye piece viewfinder in addition to the screen for outdoor shooting - the webcasting network twit.tv uses these and their image looks great.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    JohnO likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

He can probably buy a firewire drive to plug into a camera and then you would have tons of capability. I was having that issue with my four cameras and now everything just records to my external drives! You can sometimes find them on ebay pretty cheap.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If you don't have to go HD the Canon GL series is amazing quality, and you can attach an external video recorder...I can record up to 28 hours with mine. They are pretty cheap used.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Firewire is going extinct very quickly. Apple dropped it several years ago, and I don't see it surviving.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Canon. Great colors. Lush with lovely blues and reds. Vibrant. Based on image alone, not considering whatever format or definition you think you might need, I recommend a Canon camcorder for its image, color balance and exposure. Canon makes great cameras and they make great camcorders. Canon = Vibrant and alive. Sony = Natural to too laid back. Panasonic = Too warm.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a great affordable solution for a consumer. I do three amd four camera shoots this way and no one could care less how I am capturing what I film, just that the job gets done. A cable isn't going to determine if I get a gig, and I know my equipment it works with well. At 54, I have jumped off the train that compels us to go with the latest technology just because something else is getting old. Most camera equipment and editing software from Apple and Adone (and a lot more you certainly know more than me about) from the past 5-8 years is more than good enough for a lot of projects, amd certainly for a consumer like the gentleman who authored this post. The good news is that the new stuff causes the really great "old" stuff to drop dramatically in price. In your world, I know you guys have to stay on top of the newest texhnology but that is a small segment of the popularion, but I sure love hearing about your world through this forum!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I second any Canon recommendation. Their stuff is well made and I really like the look of their video.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don't capture at all -- get a video camera that creates files, then just copy the files over to your computer and start editing. If you shoot files, you can literally start editing five minutes later. Capturing is very '90s at this point.

Cheap 2K and 4K cameras do exist. Hell, the Blackmagic Pocket Camera is $995, and it's literally 4K (and not a terrible camera).

Derek Gee and McLover like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

I capture via Firewire with Adobe OnLocation. I get a 3 hour file that I can edit immediately. I do have to dump my files from various SD cards with the other cameras, but with Class 10 cards and USB3 it doesn't take that long.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You mean you're recording on files? That means you have to tie the camera to a laptop for the entire event! I would much rather record inside the camera so you can move without tangling wires or running into the inevitable possibility of disconnecting the feed.

19. Chris DeVoe

I have my laptop rigged so it hangs from the legs of the tripod the XH-A1 is mounted on, and the OnLocation software also gives me a waveform monitor and vectorscope.

Hey, some of us have to use existing hardware. We don't all have Hollywood budgets. I've shot more than 200 concert this way, and nobody has disconnected my feed yet.

20. danstone

Thanks to everyone who has commented here with all the great advice. It's much appreciated. I now have several great options to explore.

21. Chris DeVoe

If someone were to hand me a lot of money to do a much bigger production, I think I would buy a bunch of used Canon XH-A1a and hard drives to mount on them. There are several on eBay for under $500. First off, I don't have any desire to shoot 4K - heck, as I'm not shooting stuff to be seen on a 30 foot wide screen, I have no reason to shoot better than 1080. The glass on an XH-A1 is excellent as is the low-light sensitivity. Yes tapes suck, but if you're using them on a tripod in a concert situation, there is no need for tapes.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I shoot everything on a tripod and totally agree. My Canons use tape, but I fire wire out to digital recorders and it works great. You can really get a nice professional set up for very little money now if you know what to get used. And where head condition used to be a big deal when buying used, if you record to a digital recorder it no longet matters!

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

No, actually his way would work fine if, as he mentioned later, you are on trioods and not moving around. But I prefer to record to digital recorders, which you can mount to a hot shoe, and then combine and edit the footage later in the studio. Sounds like he is doing live and may need to do it on location, but his way would work and you can do it really cheap. I definitely wouldn't want to be moving around though with that set up, as you mentioned!

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Absolutely.... but the poster wanted to acquire equipment on the cheap and I think that is why we are discussing cheap ways to still put out a good product. My point was, I already own the cameras, all higher end Canons, so I wanted to keep using them and getting firewire outboard recorders solved the problem without spending anything more on cameras. I need to shoot with four cameras sometimes and not having to replace cameras all the time, for the sake of chasing technology, has saved me a fortune. I used to do that, but discovered clients don't care what I use to shoot, like the other guy mentioned as well, as long as I get the footage. I know you can't operate that way for what you do or we wouldn't be betting many new stories from you in the future! I imagine it is imperative that you use really good equipment and that you know how to use it all... and that you stay abreast of new significant advances. I am in a very niche field so I can get away with not having to stay on top of the latest camera technology. The last few years have really given us all great tools at very affordable prices.

25. Chris DeVoe

I do a multicamera concert shoot. Only one camera is tied to a laptop. Most of the others are shooting to SD or MicroSD cards, most on tripods, one handheld. The XH-A1 with it's 20x lens is my closeup camera.

Here is a video shot with a mix of Canon 3 chip and single chip cameras:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.