The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Still on 12/19/73, Tampa

This is the chillest show I've ever heard. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've heard it, but for some reason, today it's jumping out at me way more.

This is prime relaxing Dead. :)

He's Gone is so great. Here Comes Sunshine is 14 minutes of perfection. 1/2 Step sounds like a band playing in a smokey jazz club or something.

The epic set 2 Truckin>Nobody's Fault>jam>The Other One>Space jam>Stella Blue is so amazing.....

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Tonight it's 10/31/71 and the lovely "Tighten Up" jam, which is really a stretch since it's not even the same chords as the Tighten Up groove (it's a fairly basic reharm).

3. warewolf95

Oh, perfect timing! I just started this show as well! :) Currently sitting through "Deal".

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I went with Dick's Picks 2, ripped to my PC and my trusty Bose QuietComfort 15s. No riff raff; straight to the nub. Got no time for anything but nub, don't you know.

US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected Trey to fly high during "Hell In A Bucket" or choose to sing "Alabama Getaway" but I guess it makes sense given the years he was seeing the band live.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Grateful Dead self-titled Record Store Day mono version from a couple of three years ago. Sounds great. Listened to the Stones' High Tides and Green Grass right before this, and they have worked well in this order.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Might I suggest you pull out your copy of 12 October 1968 and give it a listen? It has the lowest pH of any show from the second half of the year.

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I was at the movie meet up this year which was Alpine 7/19/89 and it was great, I assume that will be out in some form later this year so watch out for that. I loved the Terrapin, the Dew was chilling, and you get the W. LA Fadeway again!

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  9. warewolf95

Oh man, I'd love that. :)

Anyone know why the songs from the previous night were spliced in and it was all advertised as being from just one night when it clearly wasn't?

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My left ear is clogged again. Nothing serious, it's actually problem of the skin and it affects the ear canal, but it's really annoying, mainly because I can't enjoy music the way I want to. Anyway, nothing's gonna stop me from listening to the 11/11/73 show at Winterland. Of course, taken from this beloved set:
    [​IMG]
    I still remember me being fascinated, listening to it for the very first time back in April, 2008. I think I'm gonna cry (we really need a smilie for "fondly reminiscing good old purchases").

11. warewolf95

05/22/77 - Pembroke Pines, FL - Selections released on DP #3

Wow, The Music Never Stopped has awesome Donna vocals. Always great to hear when she was actually able to sing instead wailing. Sugaree so far is excellent and rather upbeat. :)

budwhite, US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. Jason Tenney

Jason Tenney Forum Resident

i'm familiar with 10.12.69 (10.13, too)...in my top 5 for the year, certainly!

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. warewolf95

Wow, just got to "Sunrise" on 5/22/77

Holy moly Donna's vocals are beautiful! :)

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

words you don't see very often...

Some may think it coincidental, but to me, Donna Jean as a member of the Grateful Dead coincides with some of my favorite years. She is an extremely gracious woman, I have had several nice conversations with her over the years. She sang with Elvis, she mustve been doing something right!!!

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

To me Donna usually sounded bad live 72-74 but was usually good 75-79.

Jason Tenney and warewolf95 like this.
  16. warewolf95

I love Donna for the most part - as far as I know, most of the time when you hear her vocals sucking, it was probably due to tech issues etc. making it hard to hear herself and all that (that's what I tell myself anyways..).

When she was on, she was great. :)

fishcane, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Just started Europe 4/7/72.

Bought Vol 1 and 2 from the Europe 72 set off of iTunes. Once I have digested these I plan on getting two more at a time.

Jason Tenney and warewolf95 like this.
  18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Bought this and the 77 Winterland set the same time from the Dead site and couldn't wait for it to be delivered. I burned a hole in the carpet walking back and forth waiting for UPS.

Jason Tenney and Stone Turntable like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Years ago Donna was interviewed and that was exactly the issue she had singing in the early years- she could not hear herself on-stage. If you watch the Closing of the Winterland video you'll see her plug one ear with her hand to hear the monitors better.

rockinlazys likes this.
  20. warewolf95

Ok. So I've finished 5/22/77 - That was a mother of a show. That show was damn near perfect. Wow.

Onto to 02/11/70, Late Show - I'm almost done with it. I'm halfway through the EPIC 33 minute Lovelight. It's killin'.

:) Up next, 02/13/70

Crispy Rob, Jason Tenney and US Blues like this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

22. warewolf95

29 minutes in and that gif pretty much sums up the Pigpen sermon :)

bmoregnr likes this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have been in '77 land this week I think subconsciously trying, in some kind of February '71 Capitol Theatre show ESP experiment, to send the best vibes possible to Chicago, so why not a dose of tightness with hints of precision towards perfection. Today I was reminded this second set goes in the casket when this is all over; it will be my argument against anyone who says they were always sloppy; for those already in the know, a few minorest of lyric flubs aside, I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say there is not a misplaced note in this whole set.

There are so many beautiful and quite unique for them tones that come out throughout; again many you just simply don't run across very often, at least not all packed together in one set... beautiful little bells in drums, the guitars have unique phrasings at times, Keith is out of his head good and little non-Keith tones pop-up, synth stuff, harpsichord sounds, Donna is on point. The band is full on group-mind here and the chordal work, layering, call and response, is all of it next-level stuff. This is the argument for the dual drumming thing as it works really nice here and the timbre of their kits sounds great. Drumming fans a gonna be lovin' this.

So make sure you have heard this; and if you likely have, you may still benefit from knowing there is a sweet C. Miller upgrade in '12- quite a while now I know, but I had an older version and this is much better. So I present 10-2-77 Paramount Theatre Portland OR

Have fun tonight everyone!

24. warewolf95

What are everyone's thoughts on '76 Dead vs. '77 or '78?

I've not listened enough to '76 yet to be able to have an opinion one way or the other aside from the fact that the several shows I have heard all seemed more "laid back" compared to '77.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Good points of 76 compared to 77/78: more setlist experimentation and more Space. Bad points: more awkward drumming and less focused and powerful playing from Garcia.