Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" 2015 Polydor vinyl record edition: sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

I repeat: at the moment I have no other issues except the 1st UK pressing; perhaps in the future I will buy this new reissue, but honestly now I do not feel the immediate need.

2. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

My copy of the Spanish Sticky Fingers LP hasn't arrived yet (it was only shipped last Friday), but has anyone tried contacting GZ about the bad condition -- fingerprints, etc -- of their records?
    Here's their website: http://www.gzvinyl.com/

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  3. It's doesn't seem to be affecting the sound

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Randu like this.
  4. stem

stem Forum Resident

Yeah, I think most people seem to be reporting marks (resembling fingerprints) on the first LP, but these marks do not seem to affect sound quality.
    From the posts I have read here, I think I am also right in recalling that generally the second LP does not have these marks.

5. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

A good cleaning and they play fine.

ssmith3046 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  6. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I ordered the Spanish edition from the Stones store last April. Still "processing.". Ordered it from Urban Outfitters two weeks ago. Arrived yesterday.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and mick_sh like this.
  7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Snagged the last Spanish cover at my local Urban Outfitters. (Note: If you want to feel old, ask a clerk at Urban Outfitters if they've ever heard of the Rolling Stones...)

I only listened to the first record but no fingerprints or noise issues. I couldn't crank it but the dynamics sound great. Very comparable to my original US pressing... That one excels on some tracks like CYHMK but comes up short on others like Sway. This new press is a bit more smoothed out... Sway sounds better, Wild Horses has more depth, but CYHMK doesn't punch you in the gut like the original's magnificent bass frequencies do. Does that make sense? They're slightly different listens with their own strengths... Combine that with the alternate cover and the bonus disc, and I'm very pleased to own both.

FYI I sold the MSFL a whole ago but I can tell you from memory it is FAR inferior to this new pressing. That mastering had some very wonky bass issues... I wouldn't recommend tracking it down unless you're a completist.

8. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Just got my target exclusive vinyl copy today and spinning it now. Great improvement to the CD in my opinion. I have it cranked and it sounds great, unlike the CD which was really loud

Stefano G. and Tommyboy like this.
  9. Joey_Corleone

I am not sure it beats my US original, plus I like the fact that my original has the REAL zipper lol...but it is nice to see a new release like this come out that sounds pretty good when the CD was obviously butchered. It is also nice to have a good clean copy. My original plays pretty good with not a lot of noise at all but it is far from NM

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have both of those, when my copy if the reissue arrives I'll report back!

Randu and Stefano G. like this.
  11. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I have an A3/B3 as well in EX+ - the new one is on the way so Ill do you a comparison too.

You gotta get this 2LP set for the extras at least Stefano!

Stefano G. likes this.
  12. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I will have to chime in again and say that the bonus disc is a truly fantastic piece of work when it comes to the Roundhouse live cuts. I am obviously impressed with this entire release package on vinyl, but the bonus disc is out of this world great in my opinion. Give me the entire Roundhouse show on vinyl please!

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Got a French single LP pressing today from Amazon. Cut at a lower level to allow for dynamics and very crankable, dead quiet and perfectly flat wax, and definitely isn't a repeat of the Exile vinyl reissue debacle of a few years back. Nice to finally have a vinyl copy that hasn't been ruined through a combination of play and damage from the zipper.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  14. Joey_Corleone

Crankable is exactly how I would describe this pressing...It kicks the crap out of the remastered CD by a mile in dynamics and sounding more true to the original

Tjdufresne, Rickchick and Ben Adams like this.
  15. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I have an original Monarch, and this new one sounds as good, imo.

16. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I'm skeptical but I'm tempted to buy haha

Rickchick likes this.
  17. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Then I'd say it just depends on how much you love the lp. It really is great sounding.

Stefano G. and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  18. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

They spent some time on this . It sounds really good which is a pleasant surprise since the full box set of all the remasters where kind of mediocre/ cookie cutter. I've noticed this with other Universal final boxes.

19. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

After a Spin Clean both LPs of the two-record reissue play great - flat and quiet.

The sound of the reissue is somewhat cleaner and leaner than the original - less muddy, you can hear the lyrics and instruments more clearly.

But it is a little less warm and rich sounding than the original, which I also have.

One isn't better than the other. They are just a little different.

The cuts on the second LP are outstanding. If you are going to bother buying the reissue, get the double album.

My favourite Stones record.

20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

well i picked up a copy of the spanish cover version today from urban outfitters, and let me tell you: i love the sound. it's pretty darn sublime. very crankable.

the vinyl is s***, however. scuffed, scratched, filthy. not sure about UO's return policy, but this piece of crap is going back. such a bummer. surely this is pressed at GZ?

marcfeld69 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Unfortunately, the deluxe vinyl edition was pressed at GZ.

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I used to own the MFSL but sold it when offered 40x what I paid for it!

I was always pretty happy with the laid back, slightly bassy presentation. The vocals and saxophone were ridiculously clear and realistic on that cut.

23. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

You only think you are happy. For this title only AAA vinyl and AAA vinyl alone can make you truly happy. ;)

24. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have cleaned and listened to my new Sticky Fingers LPs (Spanish cover double, and normal cover single) together with my '70s/'80s Australian pressing (also cleaned).

I've found the two new ones sound identical to each other. In comparison to the old Aussie pressing, the new ones are:

A touch quieter
    Possibly a little more compressed (only slightly and it seems to vary from song to song)
    A little more natural in EQ (not as bright in transients)
    A lot clearer - especially on the acoustic numbers

All in all I'd say the new ones sound really great. The extra compression isn't hurting things. Someone earlier said the compression had ruined the feel of Dead Flowers. I don't agree, I think the song sounds just fine on the new LPs.

Stefano G. likes this.
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I got the Spanish cover 2 lp edition and I must say that I was thoroughly unimpressed with the one listen to the bonus disc -I just think they could have made this disc a little more action packed -the Clapton Brown Sugar puts me to sleep.
    The main lp copy was severely smattered with paper debris and does have the fingerprint thing. I gave a listen after a light cleaning and my brief impression was that if you want a new product to hear SF with, just get that Japanese SHM platinum CD -or SACD -it IS the real deal -this vinyl episode is not. I have the regular SHM Platinum CD and it is on par with a good early vinyl original, probably better than most of them.
    I have a few AAA originals (an SO, RI and second press MO) and have not A/B'd anything yet but if I get to it any time soon and learn something than I should report I suppose.
    My recall sound wise is that the SO Artisan stamped pressing in NM that I have is extremely nice sounding in a clear and dynamic way, and really tough to beat, The RI is equally as clean and yet lacks some clarity in comparison -the MO does have a smooth sound and is a real pleasant listen -I would imagine a first press MO would be much better although this one does outshine the RI for it's presentation of the sound -but is in VG+ at best and coughs up some noise here and there.
    My brief listen to this new disc kind of left me with the same impression the original RI copy gives me: nice but could be better.
    The platinum SHM disc (2010 or 2011 mastering ?-flat transferred!) is a serious choice if you have a decent digital playback machine -and you don't get clicks, ticks or pops in the middle of Moonlight Mile or Wild Horses.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.