AC/DC Let There Be Rock Aussie Albert Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would I be correct in thinking the Albert label Australian pressing of this would be the best sounding? Think I remember people saying for the early pre highway to hell albums Albert are the best. I know the US and UK are "Porky" masterings.

marcfeld69 and McLover like this.
  2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Dunno about sound quality but it has Crabsody In Blue.

Neilson77 likes this.
  3. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Compared my A1/B1 UK Porky with an Australian Albert Blue Label Repress. The Porky sounds better, more impact and clearer like its from the master tape and the Albert is from a copy. The album was recorded in the UK so maybe the UK Vinyl was from the original master tape?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

That's an interesting point? Can we get a definitive answer. There was a doco on Australian TV last night about Alberts records story....so it's got me thinking about ACDC.

wwright likes this.
  5. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Let There Be Rock was definitely recorded in Australia - Albert Studios in Sydney.

Yeah, how effing good was that Alberts documentary?! Angry Anderson : "No one attacks a guitar like an Australian."
    Love it! Hope it comes out on DVD soon!

6. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I don't get tired to say, that Angry Anderson should have followed Bon Scott as Lead singer for AC / DC - much better fit IMO !

sathvyre and Linus like this.
  7. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Hmmm, an interesting combo - to say the least! Angry would have been a good choice, I agree! A better choice than Brian to be sure.
    I think at the time Angry was committed to Rose Tattoo, it was his band and he was loyal, those boys were family!

sathvyre likes this.
  8. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

The Australian Albert blue label (with a kangaroo, I'm told) was the first pressing. The assessment of sound quality in this case is really dependent on individual taste. The early Albert blue labels have a more organic sound, which I personally prefer. They are not as loud as later releases, and capture the air and ambiance of the studio environment - more of an "unbelievable killer band at the pub" effect. The later albums and mastering styles go for a far louder, cleaner, sonic assault at the stadium approach, which frankly sounds great as well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    blutiga, TLMusic and Linus like this.
  9. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

The Albert pressing has less low end than the international releases (meaning practically zero bass) but uses much less dynamic compression (drum transients are hotter). It's fairly thin sounding in comparison, but I prefer it. It's a unique mastering.

wwright and blutiga like this.
  10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I first had only a beat up Let There Be Rock Albert Roo.I liked it so much that I tracked down a copy in better shape wich I really enjoy listening to and never felt the need to look for a better sounding record.I now have to hear the UK or US but I still think the Roo will be my preffered vinyl pressing in the end.

wwright likes this.
  11. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

There's a great Albert box set of early Australian AC/DC albums that you'll occasionally see listed for sale. A bit like the Beatles Blue Box concept - you'd find a number of the blue labels in one box, and in other sets, the orange labels as well. I have one, and they all sound great.

12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

It's a bit sharp with limited low end, but (perish the thought) a slight adjustment of the EQ (or, the horror, TONE controls) and it sings better than all the other pressings.

And while "Crabsody in Blue" is entertaining, it's a far cry from their best.

I have the box in mint mentioned by wwright.

wwright likes this.
  13. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Agreed. A topic for another thread, but there really needs to be a tone control Renaissance. Luxman is one of the few manufacturers with the intelligence to offer tone controls on their integrated amps. This maligned feature quickly enables personal preferences, helps clear up uneven mastering, and inversely creates a better perceived synergy across components.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Reesdog, aroney and sathvyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.