Adding Used CDs & LPs to your collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lightbulb, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This is not about "adding" anything really, it's about "subtracting" contamination with cleaning supplies. :cop:

lightbulb likes this.
  2. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, I take the item out at midnight, and gently waft sandalwood incense over it. Then I bathe it in morning dew collected from the forest and bless it in the name of the cd goddess.

3. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

I thought I was the only one who did this.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

My local branch of That's Entertainment is having a blue cross sale, with many CDs priced down from 99p to 25p. They are c**p titles, but they come with original CD cases and trays. Many in nice condition. It's the cheapest way to get a decent CD case these days.

lightbulb likes this.
  5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch Thread Starter

Quite true - it's very rare that there's any indication of who the previous owner of a CD is...
    Of the hundreds of used CDs I've picked up, I found an old store receipt once. For some reason, I'm assuming the store reselling the item trashes them, whereas with LPs they are treated as some sort of sociology-historical artifacts that must be passed on to the new owner (there's another threads re: LP finds such as random notes, newspaper clippings, explicit photos, weed, receipts etc.)

MRamble likes this.
  6. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

If necessary, I clean a jewelcase or even replace parts of it. I usually do that when it's a cutout and a hole is drilled into the jewelcase. I leave the data surface of the CD alone, though.

dalem5467 and lightbulb like this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The top surface of the CD is the more delicate side (only a thin layer covers the aluminum). Do not apply too much pressure when cleaning this side.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. LPs: They go through my Okki Nokki RCM and I'll insert them into MoFi anti-static inner sleeves (unless the record already has its own anti-static inner sleeves)
    CDs: If the jewelcases are broken I'll replace them, but that's all.

lightbulb likes this.
  9. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Like someone else posted, I take the outside case/sleeve as an indication of how well the item was handled and generally do not purchase items in poor shape. I can't think of anything I've bought used on CD that required any kind of attention.

But I've also typically avoided cut cases, anything with marker written on it, and water damaged LP sleeves. I'm probably missing out on more this way, but there is that OCD factor...

lightbulb likes this.
  10. Mistercondon

Mistercondon Forum Resident

My hobby, the last few years, has been buying CDs from charity shops, grubby, manky, totally shot... The worse the better. Oh, you want a cover with that sir? And then seeing if I can rip them as WAV files. Rarely fails. Often have to lick them clean obviously, occasionally had to sand them down with Brasso or some such - but very satisfying when that pristine sound re-emerges out of the 'speakers. Then I open the airlock into the garden and bury them, knowing they will live forever...

lightbulb likes this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Here is a man that handles his cds very very well.;)

lightbulb likes this.
  12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I just give the disc a wipe on my t-shirt if it looks like it needs it.

jonathan, ispace, ODShowtime and 6 others like this.
  13. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

All LPs get bathed in the Spin-Clean. CDs and jewel cases get wiped down with Windex or Lysol all-purpose cleaner spray. If the jewel cases are broken or show residue from cigarette smoke, they get replaced.

lightbulb likes this.
  14. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

If it plays, it stays! :)

lightbulb and ARK like this.
  15. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

The CDC has stated that used cds are a dangerous vector for contagious diseases, such as typhus, bubonic plague and small pox. So everyone should avoid buying used cds, especially ones that are gold in color and labled DCC or MFSL. Please just pass those by and leave them in the store on the shelf. You can contact me via this forum so I can notify the appropriate authorities. Just tell me the location so I can tell the CDC where these dangerous items are.

jonathan, PHILLYQ, lightbulb and 6 others like this.
  16. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Regarding cleaning CD cases... I use an old polyester sweatshirt and elbow grease. I used to shop at Zia Records and cleaning the multiple pieces of scotch tape and price stickers was always time consuming. I initially used alcohol and was considering using Goo Gone.... however the polyester sweatshirt was rough enough to remove the sticky tape residue after initally pealing off ther stickers and tape by hand. I found it easy to do while watching TV. The sheat shirt gets washed as needed.

LonesomeDayBlues and lightbulb like this.
  17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

With CDs, the plastic jewel cases are discarded and replaced with a Space Saving Sleeve. Perhaps a wipe down if it needs it. Used records get the full inspection at the store, 3 step cleaning at home with a VPI, a new inner sleeve and a new outer sleeve.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch Thread Starter

Vudicus, thanks for sharing your process. Since LP sleeves and CD booklets are basically paper goods, what have you found the most effective method to clean them?
    I appreciate to hear what works the best.

19. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Is there a vinyl goddess?

lightbulb likes this.
  20. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I wish.

lightbulb and Jasonb like this.
  21. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

Clean them? If they play they're fine.

lightbulb and ProgDave74 like this.
  22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I clean the play side of the used cd by licking it. It's kinda gross, but I haven't found a better way to get the cd clean.

23. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

That's okay for Rolling Stones and Kiss CDs. Not sure how that would work on anything else.

24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I honestly just use a couple of folded sheets of kitchen towel with lukewarm water, wrung out until it's barely damp.
    I just gently run it over the cover in straight lines, bottom to top, just once to get any dust off.
    Then I do the same along the spines etc.
    As there's barely and water, it dries off in seconds, and I've yet to cause any damage.

I try not to use anything with chemicals etc through fear of damaging the sleeves.
    If the sleeve had sticker residue and similar I might try goo-gone, but that's about it.

lightbulb likes this.
  25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I get used CDs all the time and 99.99% of the LPs floating around the stores are used. CDs usually don't require cleaning, LPs do. Because the primary local retail outlet—Rasputin's—has lots of 50¢ and 25¢ CDs, there's times I pick up a CD that looks ruined. In those cases, I use a CD/DVD polisher. That usually renders the CDs playable. I've frequently cleaned the CD cases after removing price stickers. Used CDs are a much better crapshoot than used LPs. Used LPs frequently have non-repairable defects, CDs rarely do. For LPs, I have a nearly 30 year-old VPI 16, still works. The VPI 16 is really an LP vacuum for wet-cleaning records, still works just fine.

lightbulb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.