Top 50 Bass Players

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Bromsgrove

Steve Bromsgrove Former Pressing Plant Employee.

Billy Kristian is a superb bass player! His work on Neil Ardley's Harmony of the Spheres is outstanding!

2. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Some are too high (Roger Waters, Paul McCartney), some are too low (Jack Bruce, Geezer Butler), some are way too low ('Duck' Dunn, Berry Oakley, Bill Wyman) and some (Andy Fraser, Jack Casady, Billy Cox, Ronnie Lane, Jerry Scheff) didn't make the list at all!

About the only thing I agree with them on is John Entwistle at number one. That and John Paul Jones close to the top.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Levin is on the list.

ARK and Yannick like this.
  4. I know, just my Brit humour failing me...:shake:

5. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

No John Myung from Dream Theater ?! o_O

And As for Cliff Burton being top 10 material - sorry but for he didnt impact well enough for only 3 albums to be above a lot up the list. I think Rob Trujillo is actually a better player if compared on live performances alone.

6. Barry Adamson, Peter Hook, Derek Forbes, Jah Wobble. Where are they?

And Bob Babbit????!!

Gavinyl and Echo like this.
  7. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah I saw Mike Watt too as a solo act years ago at a club as the headliner with the Foo fighters opening up (!...one of their first string of shows). Watt had sustained a leg injury not long before the show and hobbled out on crutches then chair. It as a fantastic show, Watt can play just about anything.

davers likes this.
  8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

With a pretty flawed list I'll admit I'm really glad John Paul Jones got such props. I feel sometimes he gets lost in the shuffle with the others guys in Zeppelin such big names and personalities. Listen to any Zeppelin album or live show zeroing in on what he brought to the table and it's clear how amazing his contributions were.

9. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

If you don't think Claypool belongs on this list than you shouldn't be commenting.

ARK, AZRunner and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

No Gail Ann Dorsey? Sacrilege!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Move on, nothing to see here, crap list.

SKean likes this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Thankfully those gawdawful Bass Fiddles are excluded from the Top 10. Who needs to see those charlatans like Dave Holland, Charlie Haden, Ron Carter, Edgar Meyer and Scott LaFaro on that list. :rolleyes: Duff McKagan rules!

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Better than Mingus, who wrote over a hundred jazz compositions, led duos, trios, quartets, quintets, sextets, heptets, octets, nonets, small big bands, large big bands, played piano and released a solo recording of that, and rewrote the language of an entire genre? OK, got it. R&R is not the only music ever made. But it is convenient.

14. No Robbie Shakespeare???
    Only one reggae player when reggae is the music that showcases bass themost and has elevated bass playing to another level?

Gavinyl, GodShifter and Echo like this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Great to see Berry Oakley on this list. I'm of not mistaken, he is often overlooked on similar fubar lists.

ARK, Skydogg, old school and 3 others like this.
  16. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Would have liked to see David Hood's or Ronnie Lane's names on the list.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Blimey, those are three striking omissions aren't they!

18. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Sorry chief, I thought we were entitled to our opinions here. Go communism!

Archtop, GodShifter and ArpMoog like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Gee, I'd read ridiculous lists before, but this one is too much for me.

20. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

bruce was never asked to join zep...thats just made up bs. i dont know where he came up with that self important crap but no one in cream seems to like zep. professional jealousy forever....sorry but that is a huge joke. of course, it doesnt take away from his great playing in cream but he is a self absorbed narcissist to actually bekieve he was considered for zep. page got jpj in before anyone else, and that was that. no mention of bruces claim from anyone, ever, except for bruce....hahaha, good one, jack

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Wasn't it something about John Paul Jones didn't want to tour, so Page was considering asking Jack? However, I've never read anything from Page corroborate what Jack said. So unless Page speaks up, it's all just hearsay.

22. floyd man

floyd man New Member

Listen to John Paul jones whole lotta love Berlin 7-7-80 or any live 77 show.. He deserves to be right behind the ox....

23. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Well from what I've seen from Jack's book there is just a small passage that he was asked by John Paul Jones himself because he himself wanted to play other instruments. Not because he wasn't good. Dave Lewis, pretty much a Zeppelin authority asked Zeppelin's manager Peter Grant himself about this in an interview and he said he had no idea.
    So at most it might have been a brief meeting between JPJ and Bruce with who really knows what the context was. For all we know it was a moment of guys talking musical shop putting down some beers!

GodShifter likes this.
  24. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Bah, no Pete Thomas or Colin Moulding?

25. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

no watt = invalid list.

Oliver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.