Favorite Scorpions studio album with Uli Jon Roth

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

I will leave off the live album, Tokyo Tapes. I love Uli and all four of these albums, but I think I will go Virgin Killer. Catch Your Train rules!

Horse Majeure and ifihadafish like this.
  2. ganma

ganma Senior Member

In Trance for me, with Fly to the Rainbow coming in close behind. I never really liked Virgin Killer, but I enjoy Taken by Force quite a bit.

steveharris likes this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m being lazy here but those sentiments echo my own.In Trance always strikes me, do I dare say the term'Spacey"in my mind.:cool:Fly to theee Rainbow and Taken are of course each different but had their own musical place with me also.

4. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

I cant vote just yet as I still have to get Fly and Trance.

Saw him in a saw club in Northern Ireland in May and he was fantastic - although I was slightly disappointed he has another guitarist doubling all his leads. The Scorpions Revisted album is fantastic however - a great reboot of the tunes I know and I am slightly worried I may enjoy the tunes from this more than the original when I do eventually get Fly and Trance (although I'm sure having Klaus sing them will be the saving grace)

5. Bonzoghost

Bonzoghost Forum Resident

In Trance. I can remember hearing it for the first time when I was on a school trip, age 12. Friend of mine had it on a cassette in his Sony Walkman. Dark Lady is EPIC!!

6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Taken By Force for sure. That is as perfect a '70s metal album as any and The Sails Of Charon is so badass. Play that in your car and try not to get pumped up! :)

yesstiles likes this.
  7. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Love 'em all, but I like Fly the best, because it still has some Krautrock vibes going on...

GodShifter likes this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Taken By Force for me. "Sails Of Charon" and "We'll Burn The Sky" seal the deal.

9. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

You need to have the 1st 2 JP cd pressings to hear the un-edited Sails of Charon, all later versions cut out the spacey intro...I don't know about the LPs...

10. Bonzoghost

Bonzoghost Forum Resident

I have an early vinyl pressing of Taken By Force and the 'spacey intro' that I have heard about it not present.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

In Trance

12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I sold my early vinyl of Taken By Force years ago and have regretted it.

I did pick up a blu-spec CD (not bluray) of Taken By Force and it has the 'spacey' intro.

I need to re-stock my Scorpion catalog....

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

In Trance, but they're all great. Love the cover too!

14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I love them all!

It's hard to pick up a favourite, since the finest songs are spread among all those albums

'This is My Song', 'We'll Burn The Sky', 'In Trance', 'Catch Your Train', 'Crying Days' (an absolute personal favourite), 'Longing For Fire', 'Sails Of Charon', 'Top Of The Bill' (another absolute personal favourite), 'Speedy's Coming', 'Pictured Life', etc, etc

:wave:

Holy Diver likes this.
  15. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

All are great but I think VK is more consistent

dvcarrick and Holy Diver like this.
  16. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

Virginia Killer... It was my introduction to the Scorpions

17. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Virgin Killer - I agree with Jimmy Agates that this seems like the most solid of these releases, but really though, each of those four are classics, to which I would definitely add the live "Tokyo Tapes."

I recently purchased the AF version of this title, and it seriously rocks! [​IMG]All of these albums should remastered as well as "Virgin Killer" (thank you, Kevin Gray!).

Here's to hoping Uli Jon Roth might re-join Scorpions, even if only for a one-off, in celebration of that band's 50th anniversary. :)

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

VK, but I love the others quite a bit. VK just has better fully realized songs. In Trance is my #2.

19. Crush Everything

Crush Everything Fictional Antagonist

Love 'em all, but VK has always been my favorite. Not sure if that's because it was my first exposure to Uli who soon became (and remains) my favorite guitartist, but I think it's simply the strength of the songs and performances. I echo ponkine's sentiment on Crying Days; that song has an ethereal beauty that still gives me shivers. Yellow Raven is another personal favorite. Uli told me it was a blatant Hendrix rip-off, to which I replied, "Yes, but the best Hendrix rip-off ever!" No one present disagreed. In Trance is a close second album-wise, but includes my favorite Uli-era Scorps track, Life's Like A River. Check that one out nice and loud on some good headphones! Here's hoping they resissue Fly to the Rainbow and In Trance on vinyl sometime soon. They surely deserve it!

20. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I grew up with the MTV era Scorpions and had no clue about their great 70's albums. I did not discover early Scorpions with the amazing Uli Jon Roth until several years ago. This early period is by far my favorite.

21. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

Damn auto correct...."Virginia Killer"

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I voted Virgin Killer, but it's a photo finish with In trance and Taken by force/ All 3.
    Fly to the rainbow is great too. Uli is among my all time favorite players, top 10, maybe 5.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I love all of them, but I had to give it to Taken By Force. Stuff like Sails Of Charon, We'll Burn The Sky, Your Light, Steamrock Fever, Woman-Man... A totally subjective vote since those tracks are all personal favourites. The album Virgin Killer is very close, though, probably more consistent as a whole.

I've always wondered how Lovedrive would've turned out with Roth's writing contributions and influence. It would probably be a whole lot different yet still great.

24. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I voted In Trance but:

You like Alice Cooper
    You like Ringo Starr
    You like David Bowie
    And friends in the Royal Albert Hall

Speedy's Coming. An utter favourite...

BDC and SoKan61 like this.
  25. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

In Trance for me.