Bands That Need To Give It Up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnaltman, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Well, yeah, if he's incapable of doing the job properly that he's hired to do, then yes, he should stop being an accountant.

overdrivethree and violetvinyl like this.
  2. nbakid2000

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The Who
    KISS
    most classic rock bands who perform at county fairs.

3. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

If I was an aging rock star, I think I would know when to stop and would not need the advice of some anonymous ghost on the internet.
    Who probably has never ever stood on any stage at all and obviously doesn't know, that musicians have to earn their living.

ganma, SRV and funkydude like this.
  4. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I think we should have a thread titled "Old Posters Who Should Quit" or "Old Thread Titles That Should Retire". If people actually followed the suggestions contained therein, we'd have no more bad threads like this and Beatles-related threads would be gone.

Ed

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

6. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Unless you have actually seen them play live, or listened to their recorded output, then your premise is fundamentally idiotic. I have, and appreciate what they do in playing out and keeping their music alive. Great songs need to be played, period. This spring, I was outside the Florida Theater here when Skynyrd was doing soundcheck for a show taping that night. The stage doors were open, the weather was sunny and warm, and the hustle and bustle of the roadies, the media people and the recording unit was nonstop- until we all heard the first few notes of Sweet Home Alabama come resonating out the doors, and everybody stopped to listen, not saying a word. The hairs on my arm stood up and I got chills, because it sounded so damn good. It was Rossington, and his "replacements", chugging away, doing it right, and it was absolutely awesome. Standing on that sidewalk, hearing song after song, almost the complete "second helping" album at one point, I was mesmerized, and it's something I will never forget. Music has the ability to inspire, to stir emotion, to leave one breathless in its beauty, and in that too short span of 45-50 minutes, I became a fan all over again. It's easy to sit and judge when one hasn't all the facts, and base your opinion on preconception. But someone who is relatively new here who posts a thread like this will learn quickly that a closed mind only leads to closed doors...

Jim N, JimD, ARK and 2 others like this.
  7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It's just not Foreigner without Lou Gramm!!

8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The current Foreigner brings the goods..... Sad part is, the first two times I saw them recently, Mick Jones was still recovering from a heart procedure. So....I saw a full blown cover band. With Chris Squire passing away, the same can be said for Yes now......

Nostaljack likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sigh...No, it can't. The current Yes includes two members of the "classic" lineup, plus one member who was on a well-liked, slightly post-peak album. The current Foreigner (assuming Mick Jones doesn't show up) includes nobody who had anything to do with any of the band's well-known records. Big difference.

10. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident Thread Starter

well excuse me everyone, i'm terribly sorry, I take it all back, no idea ya'll get so intense

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That artist I don't like.

12. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Hell no. Rock til you drop I say !!!!

13. nbakid2000

Some people are happy with whoever shows up on stage, under whatever name they choose.

14. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Right?? and i'm not saying they're not good, or they shouldn't play anymore, just that they're clearly no longer Lynyrd Skynyrd.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I think they call that "dignity". I hear they're bringing out Allen Collins for the next tour.

johnaltman likes this.
  16. nbakid2000

I don't care who shows up on stage, but when they're tarnishing the legacy or original name of the band, they need to CHANGE NAMES.

17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

So Foreigner is actually touring without Mick Jones? Were they headlining? Was this tour booked with the knowledge that Mick wouldn't be playing?

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I saw them last summer and they headlined over Styx (which had JY and Tommy Shaw). Mick Jones turned up as a special guest at that show, but they've been playing largely without him for awhile due to his health issues.

Still a small list of post-doo wop acts who are actual cover bands (no legit members): Grass Roots, Little River Band, BS&T and Foreigner.

19. weaselone

weaselone Well-Known Member

Skynyrd definatley!! they are just a parody money machine now!

20. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Wow. Doesn't that make them a cover band? I was just reading Wikipedia that said "Too Late" from their 2008 hits collection was there first new song since 1994 so I'm listening on YouTube - pretty good tune! Kelly Hansen does a good Lou Gramm.

21. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

YES too soon?

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

To me it does. I'd say it's a "cover band" if nobody onstage had anything to do with recordiung any of the music they're playing. But there are still rel;atively few bands (not even Skynyrd) that applies to.

Malina likes this.
  23. misko

misko Forum Resident

I heard Mick Jones on the radio a couple days ago talking about touring this summer. He'll be out there.

bRETT likes this.
  24. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Eddie hasn't written (well, recorded) a new song now in over 15 years. The recent Billboard article clearly suggests he is done. Dave, on the other hand, may sound terrible live, but the last album's vocals were pretty decent, and most of the songs were re-written lyrically. I'd go Dave over Eddie any day.

I think that belongs on the "Bands Who Have Made the Same Album A Dozen Times" thread. :)

The bands who show up at the fairs here in Montana have included Cheap Trick, Train, and AWOLNATION. So not really bands that need to 'hang it up'. ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Tingman likes this.
  25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

None of them. If I want to stop listening to or seeing a band live that's my business and not theirs. The idea that a band I like's continuing existence is an embarrasment to me is really my problem and no-one elses.

mj_patrick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.