Speaker cable upgrade- advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jh901, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Between the hash & Heinz I've got the Monster munchies.

Rolltide likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Bobby Boris Pickett and the Crypt Kicker Five and get some Monster Mash instead!

3. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

See, and there is always those who like yellow mustard on a BallPark.

4. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

When perhaps, the innocent music strolling harmlessly down the wire in question is infested and smeared with random distortion...

Kind of like when a gentle conversation about wire flavors and fragrances, becomes abruptly and confusingly derailed by a seeming "distortion", generated by a small group of perhaps ,narrow framed, pseudoscientific square mind types, who spend their days arguing and question anything and everything that they don't have math and a scientific explanation for (just for the sake of arguing).

Enjoyment is not always measured by understanding, yet it is still enjoyment.

And if a wire could be braided or shielded or fashioned some how to reject that distortion, the happy music could more clearly reach the anticipative pleasure seeker, and joy would ensue (without explanation)!

I realize, for some minds, the question of how? is so nagging that they could simple never just enjoy, and trust in their senses to derive said enjoyment, I for one, am one of those who doesn't have that problem and I'll patiently wait for science to catch up.

Happy Listening! through happy cabling.

babadockia, DaveC113, jfeldt and 5 others like this.
  5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Well said!

VinylRob likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm curious as to how a speaker cable can reject "random distortion"? Where would this "random distortion" be coming from? I'm not mocking you just really interested in an explanation about "random distortion".

Bill

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

By just avoiding adding its own distortions. Let the music flow more freely to the speaker.

VinylRob likes this.
  8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

If you read up on triboelectric noise, you will see that technology designed to minimize this noise is utilized in the medical and military worlds. Now, I've had no one offer me a solid run down on IF this noise source is applicable to, say, speaker cable. One gets down to the existing testing standard, and the general query regarding if small scale vibration—the sort that would be caused by speakers—would introduce this sort of noise. That's one example. There are probably a few more beyond the basic electrical parameters that differ from wire to wire.

This distortion could be called random, because it could be exacerbated by motion, which could or could not be a problem.

When you have wire manufacturers designing to address a variety problems, some of which won't be an issue in any given system, you would seem to get just the varied results and impressions that are exchanged on a forum like this.

VinylRob likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK, thanks.

Bill

Billy Infinity and Upinsmoke like this.
  10. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

If i could like this posting more than once I would.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  11. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

BJC

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

13. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I use BJC throughout my rig. I once bought an AQ silver IC for my Scout to my Jolida JD9, big mistake. The AQ sounded lifeless with a big loss in detail compared to the BJC IC. Lesson learned.

14. new world man

new world man Member

Good point.

15. new world man

new world man Member

Generally, I use standard OFC. Tempted by Tellurium Q for a run though.

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Expecting my silver speaker cables from UPS today. I've put in a few hours with the 12g OFC zip cord. I'm not in a "new purchase buzz" situation since I'm merely getting what I've had returned to me.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I remember this like it was yesterday. I got my first stereo upgrade in 1992, the DCC Gold CD program was starting and I needed better home gear than what I had been using. So I had a system upgrade but was still using the interconnects that came with my Pioneer receiver in 1975 and the speaker cable as well. No one told me I needed to upgrade the wire but I got some Monster Prolink (recommended by a fellow engineer). I liked it, sounded "fuller" than my cheap stuff. A year went by.

Then, at a high end stereo store, the manager (a fan of my work) lent me some really high-end interconnects, they cost at least 900 bucks a meter pair back in '93 which seemed outrageous to me. I tried them, same song I had been working on for an hour with the old wire, made the switch and.....

The sound went to hell. I mean, it thinned out, the warmth was gone, too much detail, unmusical, uninvolving, I was appalled. This expensive wire which shall be nameless, killed my system. I mean, I wanted to like it, he would have given the pair to me for free, but no way.

From that moment on I realized that not all high end wire was wonderful and I have been careful not to have any cable in any of my systems that does that to the music. Companies throw wire at me all the time but I only use what sounds good (to me) and ignore price, etc. It was amazing to me just that one set of interconnects just destroyed the tonality of my stereo. It doesn't take much to really muck up a system, tone wise, I learned that lesson. Urggh, it was not good.

The irony is that I'm using in my main system all Audio Note UK Sogon wire and speaker cable on everything, probably equal to the cost of a new Corvette. I love the wire, it has NO sound of its own that I can hear, doesn't mess with anything and (if you love your components) that's a good thing, a miracle, actually.

new world man likes this.
  18. jh901

Interesting point here. I find myself disturbed that I've invested so much time, money, and effort in putting together a "complete system", yet if I merely unplug my entry level power conditioner (Shunyata Defender) the sound is deteriorated just enough that I'm not satisfied. I'm finding the same thing with the speaker wire. All of the room treatment, speaker positioning, 2 proper pairs of interconnects, pretty nice front end, amplification, and quite impressive speakers and just one little thing disrupts the sound I expect.

19. new world man

new world man Member

I think perhaps, the secret is not to assume that the only way is up (expense wise).

jupiterboy and Rolltide like this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Definitely. Last week I tried some very inexpensive Belden 8402 microphone cable interconnects, and find them quite satisfying so far. Tin platter copper, but with the same connectors A23 and Shindo uses. More here: http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

new world man likes this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting comparison.

22. jh901

I don't assume anything, but my experience having used Belden, OFC zip cord, and having tried a few others is that I like my Analysis Plus. Besides, my response to Steve had nothing to do with high prices.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The secret is not to settle for the cheapest wire or use the fact that it cost 10 cents a yard as a badge of honor or something. After all, you are the one who has to listen to hours and hours of indifferent sound, no one else. One must try other brands of cable until you find a brand that clicks with your personal system, brings it into focus, so to speak. There is so much used good sounding audiophile cable out there for 1/4 original price there is no excuse to not experiment.

Lonson and jh901 like this.
  24. new world man

new world man Member

I, of course, wouldn't know. That sir, would be your own choice, based on your own conclusions / rationale / wallet.

25. new world man

new world man Member

Hello Steve, indeed. Which is why I bought my cables used or ex-dem. Has anyone out there paid full whack for Audio Note Sooloos wires...?!

No badge of honour with me. Just good ears...and a shrewd sense for a bargain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.