Sometimes cover songs bug me.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

I like the arrangement and verses of the Badfinger version. I especially like the guitar solo.

I wish the chorus of the original had been sung more like it was in Nilsson's cover, as the belting in the Badfinger version doesn't quite work.

Air Supply did a cover of the song in 1991 in the style of the Nilsson version. It has become a concert staple of theirs. It sounds quite similar to the Nilsson version, albeit in a higher key, particularly because of how similar Russell Hitchcock's voice is.

I do think there's some novelty when a vocalist can emulate the sound of the original vocalist well. George Michael covering "Somebody to Love" with Queen is neat. That said, I much prefer original interpretations.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Matt I likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The Smithereens recorded a couple tribute albums containing their interpretations of The Beatles. The production was less than perfect and their versions didn't offer anything new or unique in comparison to the originals. Perhaps The Smithereens should stick to their own excellent original material?

3. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

One of my favorite covers, and the first thing Barenaked Ladies ever did.

Drifter and bagofsoup like this.
  4. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

At some point in the 90s, the UK 60s psych (The Story of Simon Simopath) Nirvana decided covering the other Nirvana (maybe as some kind of ironic joke over them having the name first or something) was a good idea...

Nirvana (UK) - Lithium. :sigh:

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Or anything by Michael Bolton?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Bowie was mentioned earlier...I like this cover of a rather tepid Bowie tune:

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

This board has until sundown to get out of town, or start an official "Worst Covers" thread

Otherwise I'm starting one myself

8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

For me, it depends on the cover...regardless of the popularity of the original song. As an example, although Glen Campbell had a big hit with "Gentle On My Mind" I much prefer Roger Miller's cover of the song. He sings it in a world-weary manner that works better for the song to me. It's the same with Paul Giamatti's version of "Hello, It's Me" (from the movie Duets), although the original is okay, Giamatti's version is simply better to me. Another song where the cover works better for me is "You've Got Your Troubles (I've Got Mine)" by Jack Blanchard and Misty Morgan (yes, they did "Tennessee Bird Walk" too). The country arrangement of the song works well and I like it better than the horn-heavy hit version.

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't listen to stations that would ever play Michael Bolton.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  10. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I seldom mind covers. Sometimes the result is interesting, sometimes not. But the one you mention has to one of the most pointless covers ever recorded. Say what you want about Bonnie Tyler, but she has her own style and personality. I loved "Total Eclipse of the Heart" when it was released, and I still like it. Adding techno beats to a beautiful, stylish ballad is... Well, I think it´s an abomination. I´ve got the track on NOW compilation. I think I played it about once. And once was more than enough.

11. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

My favourite cover of this GREAT song is actually by... The Muppets. And I´m not joking.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

And before anyone wants to complain about sampling, wait until around 2:20 and see who shows up.

Man at C&A and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

In Classical and Jazz interpretation is everything, to take a piece of music and make it yours is standard practice.

Jarleboy and johnaltman like this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I like that. Wouldn't call it a cover, though.

15. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I'm not sure where I got tipped off to this Jimmy Webb cover of Frank Zappa's "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama", I found it an old list I put together from several years ago. Personally, I like it:

Another one I like, discovered on this forum, is Pat Boone's cover of Tim Buckley's "Song to the Siren".

16. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I'm going to check out Roger Miller's version. My own favorite rendition of "Gentle On My Mind" is by its composer John Hartford (I really like Glen's version too).

17. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

True, but it definitely does something different with it that "makes sense," I'd say.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

I liked when Oasis showed that Walrus could be a ROCK song, but all in all, I do not care for covers. I say make your own music to prove your worth, don't copy someone else.

19. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

On the other hand, Ella's version of Smokey Robinson's The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game is pretty good:

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

But no one did it justice like Elisabeth Fraser with This Mortal Coil.

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

You had me at "Indie version".

Translation: garbage.

22. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

How about a cover song so bad that even the singer claims that it ruined the album?

23. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Totally agree. My favorite BNL track. Hands down.

Drifter likes this.
  24. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

00's metal Michael Jackson anyone?

(Raintime - Beat It)

25. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's the reason I love the Residents' covers so much - they don't sound like the originals usually, but are so bizarre and unique they become their own interesting entities.

Take "Land Of 1,000 Dances" from Third Reich And Roll or their incredibly angry, snotty-sounding "Blue Suede Shoes" from The King And Eye. Just brilliant! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.