Single Versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thecdguy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  2. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Will definitely check it out.

Grant likes this.
  3. Grant

Good luck trying to find them, though. I have seen a couple of them here and there, and many on Amazon. I'm just glad I bought all of them when they came out in the late 80s/90s.

4. thecdguy

How many volumes are there in the series? I have a few myself, just not the one I needed for the Cream song.

Anyone know if the single version of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" (45 running time of 4:10) is available on CD?

5. Grant

There are nine volumes in that series.

Yes it is. It's on that deluxe Anniversary edition of her first album that was released about a decade ago. It should be on more CDs than that.

6. thecdguy

Are you talking about the 25th Anniversary edition? I have it and it's still the original album version, running about 4:38.

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Anyone know where the single version of "Creeque Alley" can be found? Not even on Youtube, apparently.

8. thecdguy

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

10. Grant

That version is not the original mix. I have a first pressing of the CD and it is very different. What you have is the 45 mix.

They remixed the song when it was issued as a single. It's the same situation as with what happened on Michael Jackson's "Off The Wall" hit "Rock With You".

11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I wish my CD recorder was still working. I have so many singles I'd love to burn to digital...

12. thecdguy

I'm a little confused - the 45 mix is on the 25th Anniversary Edition CD and has a running time of 4:38, despite the original 45's label having a running time of 4:10? I know the running times on the labels aren't always correct, so I suppose it shouldn't surprise me if that's the case.

Also, how long does the song run on the original pressing you have? Do you know the barcode number? I'd like to track down a copy if I can.

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

greelywinger likes this.
  14. Grant

The time on the original mix is 4:31. I can't provide the catalog number because my CDs are packed in boxes. I'm not going to dig them all out.

I forgot that the 45 may fade early or be an edit. But, the 45 has that extra percussive intro that does not appear on the original mix. According to Pat Downey, that Anniversary CD has that 45 version.

When I realized that the Anniversary CD had the 45 version, I held on to my original CD too.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  15. Grant

For more info, check out this thread on the Pat Downey board:
    http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=280&KW=how+will+I+know

16. thecdguy

Has anyone ever seen the promo/radio edit of Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band's "War" on CD? This is the version that cuts out the spoken intro from Bruce on the album version. It would have a running time of about 3:15. I imagine if it's available at all, it would have to be on a promo CD.

17. thecdguy

Anyone know if the single versions of "Lost In Emotion" and "I Wonder If I Take You Home" by Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam are available on CD anywhere? According to the 45 labels, they would have a running time of about 4:34 and 3:57, respectively.

18. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The 1997 compilation Only Rock 'n Roll #1 Radio Hits 1985-1989 has "Lost In Emotion" (it's ~4:35 on that CD).
    Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Number-One-Radio-Hits-1985-1989/dp/B000001O07

I don't think I've seen the edited "I Wonder If I Take You Home" on CD before.

Edit: I see on Discogs it says "Lost In Emotion" is 5:07 on that CD. On my copy it's 4:35, so I'm not sure what that's all about. Different pressings? :confused:

19. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

20. thecdguy

Thank you VERY much for that information. I just realized that the single version of "Lost In Emotion" is on a comp called "The Heart Of Soul" that I have and apparently forgot about it. :oops: I'll definitely be checking out "I Wonder If I Take You Home". I'm pretty certain none of the many VA comps I have contain the single version. I checked Discogs myself and the Only Rock 'n Roll #1 Radio Hits 1985-1989 also includes (or so it says) the short radio version of Billy Vera & The Beaters' "At This Moment" with a running time of 3:30. I believe that is the radio edit that cuts out Billy's multiple repeating of the line, "If I could just hold you" towards the end of the song. I don't think that was the same version that was released as the single. Are you able to confirm the running time, since you mentioned you have the CD? I know many times I've bought a CD because of the running time of a song listed on the back cover of the CD only to find it wasn't the right length/version. But again, thank you for your help, it's MUCH appreciated! :)

Thom likes this.
  21. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Just listened to "At This Moment" and, yes, it is the 3:30 radio edit. It edits out the "If I could just hold you" section (about 45 seconds) at about 3:00 of the 4:15 version (exactly like you describe it). :)

thecdguy likes this.
  22. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

By the way, that Only Rock 'n Roll #1 Radio Hits 1985-1989 CD also has the single mixes of Debbie Gibson's "Only In My Dreams", Mr Mister's "Kyrie" and Jody Watley's "Looking For A New Love", which can be difficult to find on CD (particularly Debbie).

thecdguy likes this.
  23. Grant

Looks like i'll have to get it.

24. thecdguy

Thanks very much for taking the time to check, much appreciated. I've been looking for that version for years. I actually have a K-Tel comp called "Romantic Hits Of The 80's" that has the song and it listed the running time as 3:30. However, when played it turns out to be the regular 4:15 version. (I hate it when they get the time wrong - don't they know we collectors take things like that seriously??) :shrug:

I never had the 45 single of Debbie Gibson's "Only In My Dreams", is it very different from the album version? The version that appears on her "Greatest Hits" album is the one I remember hearing and I assumed that was the single mix.

Thom likes this.
  25. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The mix differences are quite minor. Even if you know and love the song (as I do), you have to really listen to spot them. But once you do, you can tell it's a different mix. To my ears, the remixer (a guy named 'Little' Louis Vega) really just pushed up certain percussive elements (the bongos, or that bongo/percussion sound) and the synth bass, to make the song sound more rhythmic. Also, the 45 mix also doesn't have that repetitive echo-ey percussive effect in the intro (I know that's not a brilliant description). And the drum hits in the intro have a bit more 'snap'. I don't think the 45 mix has different elements to the Out Of The Blue/Greatest Hits mix, just a different emphasis. It's difficult to describe now that I think about it, but if you listen to the first 30 seconds or so of each (the intro), you can definitely tell. The video clip on YouTube has the 45 mix: