Wayward Pines (new M. Night Shyamalan TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't care how much money you have, you're not going to be able to stop a car from completely falling apart in 2000 years! :)

John Moschella likes this.
  2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No, but they could fix it up to run. There's not very many autos/trucks in Wayward Pines, after all. :shrug:

3. I was referring to the hangar where there were numerous vehicles, including the damaged one owned by The Burkes. Why bother keeping those tires inflated for 2000 years?

EVOLVIST and GentleSenator like this.
  4. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I'm enjoying the series. The story is fun.
    It's TV. Why does it suddenly have to be believable?

JimC and jsayers like this.
  5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Time for various materials to decompose... from http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/waste-decomposition-rates.html

So, the glass and rubber (not on this list) should be fine. Kiss auto interiors goodbye.

Glass bottle 1 million years
    Monofilament fishing line: 600 years
    Plastic beverage bottles: 450 years
    Disposable diapers: 450 years
    Aluminum can: 80-200 years
    Boot sole: 50-80 years
    Styrofoam cup: 50 years
    Tin can: 50 years
    Leather: 50 years
    Nylon fabric: 30-40 years
    Plastic film canister: 20-30 years
    Plastic bag: 10-20 years (???)
    Cigarette filter: 1-5 years
    Wool sock: 1-5 years
    Plywood: 1-3 years
    Waxed milk carton: 3 months
    Apple core: 2 months
    Newspaper: 6 weeks
    Orange or banana peel : 2-5 weeks
    Paper towel: 2-4 weeks

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. jsayers

Maybe the vehicles were in suspended animation too. :nyah:

vince and Shawn like this.
  7. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

As long as we're nitpicking-good luck getting any electronics to last that long. Capacitors aren't that stable. I had to re-cap a 55 year old radio. Two thousand years? Fuhgeddabout it!

I vote for just enjoying a decent story.

Kyhl, jsayers and Shawn like this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That little firecracker that went off in the truck yet failed to kill either of the kids making out in close vicinity wouldn't have punched a hole in the fence.

EVOLVIST, Kyhl, spanky1 and 2 others like this.
  9. jsayers

I think there was another target for that one - maybe Ethan again? Anyway, Ethan got to the fence in time to have them disarm that <presumably> bigger bomb.

Plus, wasn't there sandbags or something between the 2 kids and the bag with the bomb in it?

10. jsayers

Just curious - do people go to the threads for tv shows <or films> about vampires, zombies, ghosts, etc. and pick them apart and express disbelief that any of those things could actually happen, or do all those other shows get a "pass"? I don't think American Horror Story got this many posts from folks throwing their hands up in disbelief! :laugh:

Coricama and Vidiot like this.
  11. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Yep, I saw that too. Not sure if they were sandbags, but there was a wall of some kind of bags. Maybe bags of "beast chow".

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Are you sure about that?

But then there are the fans who are convinced everybody in Wayward Pines is a clone. There's lots of interesting theories out there, but I think the one that makes the most sense is the version Pilcher has already told.

There were so many flaws with the first season of American Horror Story, I threw up my hands and never watched the series again. I don't buy that a ghost teenage boy could walk with a (living) teenage girl to school every day for weeks and attend class, and nobody else would ever know that he was a ghost. I would buy it if he always stayed home and didn't go outside much.

There are Ghost Rules, you know. :whistle:

I suspect they were going to drive the truck through the fence and explode it at the same time. I'd say it was a pretty crappy plan. Guaranteed, we're about to run into a Walking Dead episode where the town is overrun by the evil humanoid creatures...

jsayers likes this.
  13. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

You obviously didn't see Woody Allen's "Sleeper". ;-)

vince and Shawn like this.
  14. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

There's more to it than that. In the first episode, we got snippets of information about Ethan having had a breakdown sometime in the near past. A man had been (wrongly?) released from prison; Ethan was supposed to have had him under surveillance but failed; the man set off a bomb that killed more than 600 people; Ethan had a guilt-ridden, post-traumatic breakdown, including hallucinations. He had only recently got back to work when sent to Idaho to look for Kate and her new partner.

kevywevy, Vidiot and JimC like this.
  15. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I'm glad I've stuck with this. I am really enjoying it. If you start picking at sci-fi, most of it falls apart pretty quickly. I am willing to overlook the scientific faults of a series like this just like I do when watching a Batman movie and just enjoy it for what it is. I have a bigger problem with shows like the new(ish) Hawaii 5-0 where you have 98 lb. women executing flying tackles on fully grown, athletic looking criminal men and then subduing them with a couple Karate chops.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    ribors, Keim and jsayers like this.
  16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

bopdd, Vidiot, jsayers and 1 other person like this.
  17. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I'm not worried about the vehicles, electronics, etc. My complaints are strictly about consistency and playus with the world created by the writers.
    Is that the car wreck that put him in Wayward Pines or something in the past? There was mention early-on of him have some sort of breakdown in the past that lead to confusion if not hallucinations. I do not recall if that was associated with an accident or not.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

They did show a truck hitting Kevin Dillon's car, and one assumes he was pretty well banged-up by it. I assume they immediately put him in the deep freeze after that, then thawed him out 2000 years later and stitched him up as best they could. I think the "hallucination" part was to create the uncertainty in the Secret Service's mind that maybe some of what he initially thinks he sees is not real. But they clearly didn't plan for Dillon's son to kill the sheriff, forcing them to make Dillon the new sheriff. I think Dr. Pilcher quickly realized that Dillon would be ten times better as a sheriff than Terrance Howard, and just let the man's death go.

I constantly yell during TV shows when a 100-pound woman knocks out a 200-pound guy with one punch. Just crazy. Heck, a 100-pound anybody couldn't take down a guy that big with one punch -- unless it was with a crowbar or a shovel.

I'm able to dial up my suspension of disbelief to get into the show with no problem. All of it is just barely possible enough that I can buy into it.

Coricama likes this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Then there are the shows where the guy does get whacked in the head with an iron bar or shovel and they keep right on fighting!

20. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

That is correct. I just went back and found the scene. There is a flashback about the incident and Ethan's guilt associated with it. When he meets up with Kate in Wayward Pines the first time, he is obviously confused about the situation, the timeline, etc. He asks her "Is it happening again; am I having a relapse?"

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Harry C likes this.
  21. Which has made me question everything from the first episode on. Maybe it's all in his head and he's in a coma in a hospital room with a nurse that looks a lot like Melissa Leo? Maybe the people trying to break out are right and Ethan has been fooled into helping the bad guys? Maybe his brain injury (or whatever it was) made him easier to manipulate? I like TV shows that get me thinking . . .

22. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

That's possible or it could be that Wayward Pines is one of many "experiments". If it was up to you to bring back the hunan race wouldn't you have many?

Anyway don't know or care just enjoy watching the show.

23. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that was intended for someone. It was hidden inside a music box, so it would have looked like a gift to someone else. Sure, it could have been done so he could take it to the bar for the delivery guy to take, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that will be destroyed. They didn't need to disguise the pipebomb in Ethan's truck, so why this other one? My guess is that it was going to be left for Theresa at her realtor office.

jsayers and jriems like this.
  24. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That is one of the things that occurred to me as well. I think is was 2 thousand years, but what kind of power source did they have

I hear you, but the thing is that happens so often in movies and TV that there is no point in yelling. I'm more upset about screenplay issues. Like Ethan's character trying to explain that they are 2000 years in the future to his wife and fellow agent who obviously don't believe him. Why doesn't he prove it to them? He has the power to show them, he can open the door and show them, but he just lets them go on believing that he is brainwashed. Yikes! Makes me want to pull my hair out.

My wife and I have decided we are going to finish watching this in the hopes that something else is going on, and they are not really 2000 years in the future. Because to me, I can't buy it and it's not just barely possible. It's impossible to reconstruct a society with refrigerators, stoves, sophisticated surveillance equipment, trucks, cars, not to mention building houses and infrastructure after being frozen for 2000 years with current technology. Totally ludicrous IMO, so I'm thinking there MUST be something else going on.

Gumboo, Shawn, Scotian and 1 other person like this.
  25. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I agree with the "show them" aspect of what you say, but there's real idiocy and TV idiocy, and TV idiocy I can tolerate. :agree:

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.