'Music from Big Pink' by The Band in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident

I tried listening to this on a couple of occasions, but ultimately does nothing for me.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  2. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Knowing this albums steller reputation and how it greatly influenced many artists, and also being a huge dylan fan I bought this album. I think I have whatever version you can currently get on CD from any store.

Maybe it is a crappy master...maybe it has not grown on me yet. Call me crazy, but to me this album is overrated. I just can't get into it.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I had an original copy of Big Pink back in the day but stopped playing it after the brown S/T album came out. I currently have that plus Northern Lights. I used to have Stage Fright and Cahoots which I thought were half decent as well. I was surprised that this became such an iconic album although some of the material is quite interesting and the musicianship is good. I assumed it was just the Dylan connection. I could never accept the singing on it though. I was amazed to hear how differently and how much better they sang on the next album.

4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Of course all the hardcore Dylan fans firmly believe Bob wrote "The Weight" lol

5. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I think some people have a hard time getting past the fact that the members don't harmonize like most other groups. I remember Robbie saying they wanted the vocals not to blend so you could pick out each voice. Of course this is coming from a guy that had his mic turned off at The Last Waltz. :shh::laugh:

Mr Bass and Myke like this.
  6. nakostopoulos

nakostopoulos Forum Resident

"Big Pink" is an absolute masterwork. I have digital copies of that as well as, "The Brown Album", and a a copy of "The Last Waltz" on vinyl; as well a "Best Of" collection.

But "Big Pink" is the closest to perfect they ever got, for me anyway.

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In the last year I've bought A Musical History, The Last Waltz (2CD) and the Dylan thingy with The Isle of Wight.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  8. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I guess I have everything except Moondog. My sacd of the s/t arrived today. I have at least three digital copies of Big Pink, one of my top 10 of all time.

9. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

Same here. Convinced myself to pick it up (just because you know its a classic everyone says so) and decided that its one of those "you had to be there" kind of things, even though I'm of the appropriate age. Mine is headed out the door.

10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I have their first few albums, up to "Rock of Ages". Kind of lost interest after that.

11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I got it on vinyl just before Christmas 1986 (having heard The Weight played on a BBC morning oldies programme that very morning). I'd also recently read Langdon Winner's largely rhapsodic essay on The Band in the Rolling Stone Illustrated History of R and R. It (the album)was purchased in WHSmith (when they used to have decent record departments) along with a vinyl dust wiper which I still have an use today. A happy memory!

Bought it on CD (the remaster) in 2005, along with much of the remaining Band catalogue.

12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I was really late getting into the Band and it took me awhile to appreciate them. I have the Across the Great Divide set and the Rock of Ages CD. Oh, and The Last Waltz on VHS!

13. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I do not care at all for The Band and would never own their releases for listening, but for over 30 years I have been sitting on a sealed Music From Big Pink that came into my hands.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

All core music (incl. 'Music from Big Pink') by The Band

15. Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin “I’ve been falling so long I thought I was flying”

One of my favorite albums of all time, and one of my favorite bands. Never get tired of listening to them.

16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

A 'desert island' album. :love:

Music From Big Pink
    (I had it originally on cassette.)
    The Band
    Stagefright
    The Last Waltz
    (DVD)
    Rag Mama Rag (45rpm single)

The first three are the remastered CDs with bonus tracks. I've also owned compilations, over the years and not having them anymore is nagging at me - missing tracks now that mean I should buy the albums they were taken from, proper!

17. mgoad30

mgoad30 Forum Resident

I've got:
    Music From Big Pink -MFSL SACD
    S/T-MFSL
    Stage Fright-MFSL
    Cahoots-MFSL
    Rock Of Age-MFSL
    Northern Lights, Southern Cross-MFSL
    The Last Waltz-4cd
    as well as:
    Robbie Robertson-MFSL
    Robbie Robertson-Storyville

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

That must be uncomfortable ...

BluesOvertookMe and Gumboo like this.
  19. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

The LP now conforms to the chair seat.
    Yeah, have to watch how I word sentences around here.

20. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Only the two first as they were part of my teen years. Lost contact after that...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mylene likes this.
  21. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yes. ...yes it is.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Recently bought the Stage Fright SACD to go along with the DCC.

Have the original MoFi gold CD of Big Pink

Do I need the SACD?

23. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I'm in the almost-all camp: I don't have Moondog Matinee or the last of the post-Robbie '90s albums. I'm pretty sure I have everything else.

24. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I think "Music from Big Pink" one of the finest albums in the rock catalog. I especially like the emotive, cathartic-sounding vocals on the first and last songs on the album, "Tears of Rage" and "I Shall Be Released".

25. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

yep. stole the HD tracks off the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.