Going to stop myself from buying CDs for the foreseeable future

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frogsborne, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

This is what worked for me: Write down on a piece of paper all of the CD's/LP's that you want to buy at this moment. Then, wait about 2 weeks and look at the list again before you buy anything. I can guarantee you that the excitement/want/impulse that you had 2 weeks earlier has gone down for the majority of those items on the list - so maybe now instead of buying like 10 CD's from that list - you may only end up buying 2. Forums like this one certainly don't help control the impulses to buy- reading rave reviews/discussions about albums seems to trigger a psychological response in the brain to want to buy it.

wwright, OobuJoobu, Dino and 2 others like this.
  2. mds

mds Forum Resident

I do this when purchasing on line, I collect a bunch in the "wish" list, then after a few days move those I still have interest in and have researched quality on into the purchase list. I still wait a day or two to make sure the upgrades are really upgrades or the fill-ins will really be listened to enough to warrant spending the money on. Prior to hitting purchase I will delete those I realize aren't worth buying then and move some back to the wish list for later reconsideration. Works well for me. The less controlled purchase is when browsing the used racks.

Dino likes this.
  3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I know, right? But it was

Dino likes this.
  4. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

I can understand where you're coming from, Tim. That's sealing with depression and possibly other things, and isn't quite the same as just buying music to have and never listen to. As most people with a physical media collection of any kind, I look at this stuff a lot and try to make sure I don't have anything a hoarder would have, because I do this for fun and relaxation. Fighting with my wife about storage or the amount of money I spend on it isn't fun or enjoyable, so I don't do that. What you're talking about could almost as easily be turned towards any other product you might like. Hot Wheels, shoes, Hummels, people collect all sorts of stuff. The music for me is about the songs I like. If I only like the first four Aersomith albums I feel no obligation to keep up with the rest or have them because I'm a "completist," which I have always found to be one of the biggest time wasters in the world. Why buy all those other albums when there's Dexateens albums I can buy and love instead?

I'm glad Spotify works for you. It sounds like it gets you back to listening more than acquiring. I don't use it, but I'm old and I like the way I've bought my records my whole life. Rarely buy through the mail or internet, special order from my favorite store now and then (because they'd go broke just catering to me), and buy things because I like the cover or the name of the band. Only pay cash and don't spend more than I have in my pocket. Don't buy more than ten or so records at once, because then I won't listen to them properly before I feel the need to file them away.

5. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's buying and never playing, or even having any intention to play that mystifies me. I buy albums by people I've never heard of, and sometimes it turns out I don't like them. Seems reasonable to me to pay them for the opportunity to hear it and make up my mind. That record will go into the "Stiff" pile and I'll trade it in for something I'm more interested in. you get good money when the download card is still good!

noyoucmon likes this.
  6. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

My system has all formats converted to flac on a Logitech Media Server (Squeezebox). Set the Logitech Touch to shuffle and it'll play for a long time.

Acquiring new music still happens but actually listening to stuff I've purchased has become a higher (and enjoyable) priority.

7. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

This. This is a hard one to learn BUT it can be done.

8. 905

905 Senior Member

Spotify helps me out.

9. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Why buying things you will never use? Get rid of them. Donate the money, there are better ways of spending money.

10. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

You and me, my friend, cannot remember the last day I did not have ice cream, and last night I ordered two more cd's.

11. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I usually eat 2, sometimes more, half gallons of ice cream a week. I average 1-2 cd's a week.

I'm merely a moderate. :D

4stringking73 and chef0069 like this.
  12. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

My current situation of unemployment (or underemployment) have forced me to change my buying habits drastically. I've never been able to walk out of my local shops with an armload of stuff, but I guess it depends on how you define "armload". These days, I cringe a bit when I see some of the new releases done by our host. It's usually music that I grew up with and loved all my life, but I know in the back of my mind that I may not be to afford it. That's ONE of the real soul-crushing aspects of having limited funds to buy the things that make life a little bit more fun. However, this situation forced me to think of new ways to buy music.

In the last couple of years, I managed to rebuild a nice old Thorens turntable and I haunt yard sales looking for clean copies of all the albums I practically gave away a decade ago OR I look for albums by groups I managed to overlook in the past. I figure I can risk $1 or $2 as I try to fill in the holes in my musical education and maybe discover some new (to me) artist. Some of my friends think that I'm just some sort of musical snob and that I'm one of those "vinyl is always better" people. I hate telling them that I can't afford the other options and cheap vinyl might be the only thing I can afford this week. I'm sorry to dump this here, but it's been weighing heavily on me for quite a while and this thread got me thinking about it.

13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I don't see a problem with buying tons of cds. as long as you spend 1 to 2, maybe 3 dollars tops per release, even if you don't listen to them for a few years. I've bought blues, even jazz that'd I normally not spin, but do when people are over and don't want to hear Metal/Heavy Rock/Late 60's Rock/Pop. Used cds are very plentiful at all the usual places, with the exception of actual music stores who seem to charge too much. Sure, they have to make money, but with the markup on vinyl(s)...

Sometimes one has to buy a new release, but what are you gonna do? I'm still looking for the Hendrix Winterland Boxset (in the wild) and haven't seen a used one in a few years. Should have bought it new...

14. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Oh, I only buy the ones I like... or think I'll like. I don't have a subscription and don't feel the need to own every disk AF or MFSL releases. But even the ones that I like, I still don't play many of them that much. Really, my issue is one of time. My life has been crazy for a while and I simply don't have the time to listen to music as I would like. But I know many of these releases have a short window of opportunity as far as purchasing them at a reasonable price. The whole dang thing is a balancing act for me.

15. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Thank you. That was my point in responding to frogsborne. Perhaps I took off on a different angle than within his post than others have, because overbuying specifically as a symptom of bipolarity for him and me is the one I relate to. I agree completely that people buying music that they don't listen to is by no means a sign of a disorder of any kind.

That is, if you buy a million records and never listen to them, and your life is working, carry on. It's only a sign of dysfunction if your life isn't functioning! As I tried to note, I was referring to my own issues, without pointing judgement (or pyschoanalysis!!!) in anyone else's direction.

I'm old-ish, in my mid-50s, and absolutely love record stores. I go in them every chance I can. Amoeba Hollywood just a week ago. I was also thinking after my previous post that I do now and again buy a used record that seems unlikely to make its way to digital...and the most recent one, I haven't listened to yet. :laugh: Bob Mould's Modulate, for those keeping score, featuring the song "Lost Zoloft." :laugh:

Some things don't change much, even once they're under control, but I'm okay with that. Buying a couple a year is different than buying a thousand a year. It's all about having a functional life. I didn't and now I do. :righton:

16. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

This. Plus it helps in being able to save space especially.

17. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Staying away from this forum is your only hope! Good luck!!

Tjazz and 4stringking73 like this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've tried that - inevitably at least some of the discs will be out of print and unavailable within two weeks and I'll have to spend five times as much to get a copy off discogs or eBay later.

You gotta grab what you can when you can - bird in the hand and whatnot.

19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm stopping for awhile because I ordered the Grateful Dead 30 year box set and planned a vacation in London in October.......(by coincidence Patti Smith is in London at the same time).

Erik B. likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Unemployment can cure music purchase addiction for sure. But maybe it will be time to slow down for a while and just enjoy what you have.

Every time I get an urge to buy a new title, I try and work on a needle drop of an album I have been meaning to do. I have lots o' LPs not on CD, and so doing them to CDs or to music server flac files seems a good way to enjoy the music, be productive with the hobby and just enjoy what I already have.

Enjoy some time off, and then just back into it with a new job. Stay positive and it will work out fine.

mooseman likes this.
  21. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I have over the years found whether it be CDs or video that I get much more value when I buy one or two than a whole stack. With a stack you quickly home in on your favourites and disregard the others. It's also better for the wallet. There is probably a psychological reason for this.

22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

That hasn't worked for me and I have very little 'savings'.

Only thing that'll work is when I have to make a choice between a cd and a $5 burger when $5 is all I have left.

Maybe I'll find one or two $1 cd's and just buy a Mikey D's dollar menuaire item. :)

quicksrt likes this.
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Yeah that dead boxset should keep us busy for a while

24. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

This is an absolutely illuminating thread, one of the best I've read in a long time. Thanks for the honesty, all.

25. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

Sounds like me since the day I opened my eyes.

Do I listen to everything I buy? No.
    Can I afford everything I buy? No.
    Just pre-ordered the new Bowie box after finding a nice thread on this very forum. Can't really afford it atm, but I love the man's music and you only live once! :shtiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.