Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2015 edition.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Hey wait . . . I think I've seen these somewhere before . . .

[​IMG]

2. Dudley Canuck

Dudley Canuck Active Member

Yeah I plan on it once I find them?
    I'm actually really interested to hear them with my Pono
    Yes, I plan on doing that but first I have to find them :)

I'm actually really interested in how they sound with my Pono now that I've adjusted to the Senny HD650's

3. Dudley Canuck

My first great pair of HP were Sennies.
    However I switched to AKG's about 30 years ago.
    Finally I bought the HD650's two months ago and love them...but the DO need power to unveil them.
    I'm now the opposite of you as I find AKG's (240/ 601) to be too aggressive in the mids while the 650's are perfect.

4. Dudley Canuck

Agreed.
    Did you get your tubes to roll from the UK E-Bay dealer too?

5. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I have a pair of AKG K550s for listening at home. With my Fiio X5, they are excellent.

I also have a pair of AKG K451s for when I'm out and about (the K550s are too bulky and the cable too long for that).

I may be an AKG fanboy :goodie:

6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

$20 at AudioAdvisor.com

7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------
    The Porta-Pros are great bag for the buck for portable listening. I still use my AKG 701s and the 721s at home and would go to my Grado 80s third.

8. Dudley Canuck

I'm always amazed people recommend the Pros.
    They must hear differently than me.
    They were the best option at one time (when small HPs lacked bass) but today there's better HPs for the money.

9. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I still love my HD580's after having them for about 10 years. I don't do too much headphone listening but when I do they always sound smooth and detailed with no fatigue. And after getting replacement pads a couple years ago they are very comfortable to wear.

10. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Yep.

11. Dudley Canuck

Cheers!

12. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I have had the Oppo PM-3's for a few months now and love them, especially for portable use with the Fiio X5. A couple of weeks ago I picked up the AKG Q701's and love them. One pair is for open headphone use (AKG) and one for closed (PM-3), so I have the best of both worlds. Playing them both on my home system with my Marantz HD-DAC1. Didn't like headphone use much before, but now I listen nearly every night.

13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-----------------------
    I paid under $40 for my PortaPros, and I've not heard anything better at that price. Of course they are not perfect, but in a pinch away from home they work for me.

augustwest likes this.
  14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I just got my first pair on Friday and spent a decent amount of time with them this weekend. I'm really impressed, especially considering the price and the lifetime warrantee. The bass quantity/quality is excellent. Not much extension on the highs, but a pleasing sound signature to me. Also super convenient and comfortable. They sounded great out of my D90x when I took the dogs for a walk, and also out of my Dragonfly from my laptop. Best $32 I've ever spent!

augustwest likes this.
  15. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've been using my Beyer DT990 600 ohm phones with a Heed Canamp. I just can't make much noise where I am, but equally important, I want to block out the background din so I can concentrate. I've also been recording for my pending podcast. For that I've been using Sennheiser HD25-II phones, which isolate the sound with little bleed. No amp, but those phones don't really need one, and the Sound Devices recorder puts out a pretty decent headphone signal.

Billy Budapest and johnnypaddock like this.
  16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------
    I've been looking at that SoundDevices headphone amp pretty hard as an upgrade. Might be a steal at $400. I could also buy a pair of Focal Spirit Pros for $50 less, though.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  17. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Audio Technica ATM-40fs for tracking, ATM-50 for listening. I do have sennheiser envy i admit it. :edthumbs:

18. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I have the AKG 451's.....great sound at a budget price.

19. Jackenhack

Jackenhack Forum Resident

At home I use Sennheiser 600 (really worn and ratty) with Clou Cable. Feeding them with Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 tube amp modified with everything you can find on RockGrottos forum.
    My walk around setup is iPhone 6 Plus with Onkyo HF Player -> Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp -> Oppo PM-3. I love this setup, amazing to be able to listen to really high quality sounds on the go.

I'm seriously thinking of buying Audeze LCD-2 and an appropriate DAC/amp setup. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

My NAD HP50 pair are my current favorites.

21. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I got a new set of Sennheiser Momentums this week for just $79 on Amazon. They sound great.

They are the nice portable companion for my HD-600s now.

Not sure why the Momemtums were only $79 but I won't complain.

22. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

Sony 7520, & 7506
    Grado SR80
    Senn Wireless (mostly for DVD viewing, but sometimes I don't mind sacrificing SQ for wireless vinyl listening)
    Koss Porta Pro

23. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I pack my Grado S80e's for use with my Fiio X3 when I travel for work, keeps me sane in endless hotel rooms. Revert back to my trusty Koss PortaPros for walking around. I'm hard on portable headphones, so spending big bucks is a waste for me. At home, still happy with my KossMV1's.

24. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

How do you compare the SQ of the portapros to the SR80's? I found the porta pros hold their own. I mostly use them for youtube though, and the 80's for when I don't want closed phones on my home stereo which is late at night when there's no noise in the house.

25. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

It may be these 59 yr old ears, but the Grados sound warm and full, lots of color and detail. The Pros are great for walking the dog, , airplanes, etc., they definitely do hold their own . . a little light on the bass. I don't have much experience with pricier headphones, I wish I did. Someday when $$$ isn't so tight.