Experiences with Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MoveAlongHome, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

+1.

This has been my buyer experience on Discogs as well. About 50/50. And in my experience, the admin help is no better than the help ebay provides.

On the other hand, my seller experiences on Discogs have far eclipsed my seller experiences on ebay. Only selling here at SH has it ever been better.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Has Discogs "destroyed" Gemm? Or is Gemm still a viable competitor?

3. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Just a reminder, folks, it's always a good idea to message and ask for confirmation if you're looking to buy a specific pressing.

Last night, someone listed a copy of the UK press of the closet mix of VU's 3rd. I checked his other listings out, and he also listed a copy of the mispressed 70s & Nico with both sides in mono. Sweet! Messaged him to ask that he confirm they're those pressings, as I've had a run of sellers listing pressings willy-nilly and getting pissy when I return them ("Well sooooorrreeeee for not picking the correct one out of all 57 pressings." "Well you could at least choose mono/stereo correctly."). I followed by mentioning HOW to identify the closet mix and the mono pressing. He replies saying that & Nico has stereo catalog numbers in the dead wax on both sides... :mad:... and then supplies the catalog numbers for WL/WH for the self-titled third... :realmad: So not only did he not list under the correct pressing, he didn't even list under the correct ALBUM.

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Would Discogs be preferable over eBay for selling hard-to-find CD's (DCC, MFSL etc) and hirez titles? I mean, once they're passed over here, of course :angel: Wondering also if Discogs clientele would be less likely to report items "missing" if I decide to sell overseas.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I always found GEMM to have chaotic searching and browsing, and rarely have ever used them. It was always too hard to find what I wanted.

Agreed. In most cases I'm OK with what is sent (which usually turns out to be the standard US pressing), but I have a couple of items which I specifically want a certain pressing, plus I absolutely will never accept a record club pressing for these items. If the seller is too uppity to check, then I probably won't buy from them. Customer service makes or breaks the sale every time.

I did once ask about a Record Store Day pressing, verifying I was looking at the correct item...and I was. The price was so low, I had to ask. It arrived, it was just as described. :thumbsup:

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

In my experience messaging Ebay sellers with questions usually results in 90% or more of them getting back to me. On Discogs it's maybe one third that do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.