Why Madonna and not Cyndi Lauper?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Cyndi does have this little bauble for which she won a Tony .

tkl7 likes this.
  2. Ten Years Gone

Ten Years Gone Forum Resident

Once she dropped the cartoon squeaky voice schtick in the 90's, I was surprised to find Cyndi Lauper actually has a killer voice. Unfortunately, by that point the world wasn't paying attention.

keyXVII likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

By the time Cyndi reached the "True Blue" stage (Drove All Night,My First Night Without You,etc.) Madonna was working on this...

kingrommel likes this.
  4. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I'm not sure how this is even a question. Cyndi Lauper sang like Betty Boop, danced around with wrestlers, the Goonies, had a hit song about masturbation, and constructed an image of herself as a seven year old playing dress-up. Sure, she was great, but she wasn't even playing on the same court as Madonna. Meanwhile Madonna was ambitiously reinventing what it meant to be a female pop star. She pushed boundaries, courted controversy, and released hit pop song after hit pop song. From my generational vantage point, Madonna was omnipresent. Cyndi Lauper had a couple of colorful, fun videos and that was it. I don't think I even was aware of her second record. Madonna, on the other hand, made herself unavoidable. In short, while I'd much rather hang out with Cyndi, she was terrible at being a pop star. She reminds me of Jill Sobule.

Dudley Morris and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

Madonna has triumphed over every opponent.
    Cyndi Lauper
    Janet Jackson
    Mariah Carey
    Britney Spears
    Lady Gaga

:)

bluemooze likes this.
  6. 905

905 Senior Member

It was only what, 3-4 years ago, when Lady Gaga was supposed to be the "new" Madonna. :D

driverdrummer and JohnnyQuest like this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

:laugh: That ended quickly. If anything, she's the new Cyndi Lauper.

8. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Madonna sold sex, Cyndi Lauper sold fun and Quirky. I enjoyed Cyndi Lauper songs more but I preferred to watch Madonna.

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yes, my family & I visited NY last week and went to see the Broadway show. Loved the film to death and by turning it into a musical I was worried it may have been ruined by American actors doing abysmal English accents and crappy songs. Yes, some of the accents are laughable BUT the songs are jaunty and fit well within the story's parameters. Cyndi Lauper has always had an ear for a tune AND can write amusing lyrics. That's where, IF there was competition, she'd win hands down over Madonna. Madge isn't funny. Well, not intentionally. (See the show people. It's a winner)

keyXVII, mkolesa and ralphb like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Madonna used to be funny. At some point in the late 90s she started to take herself too seriously and appeared to lose her sense of humor, though she's loosened up some since then,,,

11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have always found Cyndi the more interesting of the 2. Madonna may have had more charisma, but they both gave it their all when doing concerts and putting on a show. Cyndi,IMO, also has more artistic integrity, sometimes playing acoustic guitar and dulcimer. Her Christmas album is one of the best ever made. Madonna is more popular because she kept herself in the public eye more consistently. Cyndi only released new albums when she felt like she could make a really solid one. Madonna didn't mind releasing remixes and other filler just to keep some "product" on the market.

keyXVII likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

I was going to say Lauper hurt herself by not touring behind "True Colors", but I dug around and it turns out she did mount a reasonably long tour to support the album.

For reasons unknown, she didn't play DC during that tour. Weird!

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Madonna did an interview in March with Jonathan Ross here. In this she came off as pretty funny. Granted it was in a slightly scary, egomaniac kind of way, but she knows how to deliver a joke!

14. Bobby Morrow

Everyone's supposed to be the new Madonna. They never are though, are they?

driverdrummer, 905 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

She's the queen and won't ever be dethroned!

kingrommel likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

The Madonna of the early-mid 90s seemed like she would've been a hoot. In that era, she came across as lively and fun - when she had kids, she seemed to become a lot more self-serious...

17. Bobby Morrow

My own opinion on this is that Cyndi delivered a great debut album in 'She's So Unusual'. As did Madonna with her self-titled debut. Thing is, the latter built on this and her albums actually got better over the next 10 years, whereas Cyndi never matched SSU. Having said that, I did like 'True Colors' and 'A Night To Remember'.

pinkrudy likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

I think she was always scary. Very hard-faced too.

She certainly wasn't funny in 'Who's That Girl'! :D

Kermit27 likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

I feel a poll coming on....

kingrommel and JohnnyQuest like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Yeah, I liked "TC" to a decent degree in 1986 but it always seemed vaguely unsatisfying. "True Blue" was the superior 1986 album.

1986 was a weird year. There were all sorts of superstar releases that year that didn't seem to live up to expectations: Lauper, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, the Stones, Lionel Richie, Daryl Hall, Billy Idol, Pretenders, Journey, Huey Lewis, McCartney, etc.

Of course, some did really well - like Genesis and Madonna - but 1986 seemed like a year packed with albums that disappointed commercially and/or critically.

And I know a lot of the albums I mentioned sold well, but I still think they didn't do as well as expected. For instance, "True Colors" went 2X platinum after "SSU" went 6X platinum...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Madonna was always a pretty terrible actor. She did okay in "A League of Their Own", I think, and had some funny moments there, but she never seemed natural in movies.

I guess you won't agree, but I still think the pre-motherhood Madonna seemed like a lot of fun. IIRC, she did an interview with Carrie Fisher that was very entertaining/amusing...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

Go for it! - Remember to include this lot... (and Kylie Minogue)

Bobby Morrow and JohnnyQuest like this.
  23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The thing is, while she did trashy and she feigned glamorous, I don't find Madonna pretty at all. She obviously works very hard to have a totally fit bod, but, to be honest, I wouldn't look twice at a woman with similar features if she walked by me at the mall. Of course, Cyndi was too goofy to be a sex symbol. I also think Cyndi had the better voice, but not Madonna's drive nor her chameleon's ability.

24. I'd like to see Madonna re-invent herself as Cyndi Lauper, the time is right. :)

ARK and hidden1one like this.
  25. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

I prefer Cyndi but Madonna marketed herself much better. She's So Unusual and Bring Her to the Brink are better than anything Madonna put out, my opinion of course.

keyXVII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.