Esoteric Blue Note Great Jazz 6 SACD Box Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill Mac, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

that's just crazy.

LeeS and Bill Mac like this.
  3. Bill Mac

I agree 100%. Especially with the fact that all of the SACDs except Cool Struttin' are already available from APO.

Bill

4. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

and the current Cool Struttin' on XRCD24 isn't too shabby.

RiRiIII, RubenH and LeeS like this.
  5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

They sure chose well. But too rich for my blood.

Steve626 likes this.
  6. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

There's just no way these things can sound $67/disc better than the stunning APO and XRCD discs of these already over-reissued albums

How about a six pack of:
    • Out to Lunch
    • Point of Departure
    • Evolution
    • Unit Structures
    • Dialog
    • Let Freedom Ring

hutlock and RubenH like this.
  7. Bill Mac

I agree in that the APO and the XRCD discs sound excellent. I'd be real interested to hear comparisons between the Esoteric SACDs and the APO and XRCD discs. OK who's taking the hit for the team to do the comparison :D?

Bill

8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

according to this disk union flyer, the yen price is 19,444 + tax which equates to approx $170.00 and $28.50 per disc.

[​IMG]

Prophetzong, jfeldt, Bill Mac and 3 others like this.
  9. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

This is a Japanese-manufactured set, made mainly for that market. The pricing issues cut both ways: the AP and Music Matters titles are super-expensive over there, and the Esoteric titles are super-expensive when imported here.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Not so bad though if you can get them from CDjapan etc. Though I'm not interested in this set . . . I'm done buying these titles!

RubenH likes this.
  11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

What a strange box set, why are these specific albums packaged together? And why six of them?

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's a six-pack. Duh. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. :)

13. KeithH

Are these the first jazz SACDs from Esoteric? They have released many expensive classical SACDs.

I will pass on the jazz set, as I have the Analogue Productions SACDs and the XRCD of Cool Struttin'. Still, I am curious about the mastering on the Esoteric discs. Who is going to take one for team and buy a copy? Come on. Come on. :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    SKean likes this.
  14. KeithH

According to the Elusive Disc write-up (reads like it came directly from Esoteric), this box set was mastered by Kazuei Sugimoto. Has he mastered the Esoteric classical SACDs? What do folks think of his work?

15. Bill Mac

I also have the APO SACDs and the Cool Struttin' XRCD so I'll be passing on this box set. But I'd like to hear some feedback on these SACDs from someone that also has the APO SACDs.

Bill

16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'm considering getting this but would only be able to compare redbook. i have APs of all but the Rollins and have the Clark XRCD. we'll see.

17. Bill Mac

If the cost in the US was $170 it would be a great deal. If you get this box set please post your thoughts.

Bill

18. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Time to draw straws guys!

19. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Esoteric put out some pretty deceptive advertising when they sold their VERY expensive classical box (~$750 from Elusive Disc) set of the Solti Ring Cycle. They (Esoteric, not Elusive Disc) claimed that their SACD issue was taken from the original Decca analogue tapes. Turned out that they used Decca's 1990's era digital 24/96 transfer of the work. I made the decision that I would never again buy anything from those charlatans.

SteelyTom likes this.
  20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I would pass, i love my XRCD 24's and APO's.... no brainer IMO :)

21. KeithH

That is very disappointing, especially given what Esoteric expects us to pay for their discs.

SKean likes this.
  22. KeithH

This box set is available for pre-order on ebay.com for $288 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Note-6...RIC-SACD-CD-Hybrid-L-E-Pre-Sale-/201370182867

Four copies have been sold, so maybe at least one member here bought a copy. :)

Even though this is a pre-order, you have to pay via PayPal, which I assume means that you would be charged immediately.

(Disclaimer: I am not the seller and know nothing about this seller.)

23. KeithH

Kkfan likes this.
  24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

how i love ebay sellers who show the actual price in their photos and yet expect their customers to hand over double. "free shipping" indeed.
    not impressed by the spine of the Sonny Rollins disc... to not bold the artist's name because it's repeated in the album title? design dept fail.

25. Bill Mac

I agree that charging double when the actual price is shown is a bit much. I also agree that the spine of the Sonny Rollins disc is a serious design flaw in a set as expensive as this one. I didn't notice the mistake until you pointed it out but going back and looking it's so obvious.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.