Ready To Bite The Bullet On A Vintage Budget Table... Pioneer A Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowboy Kim

Cowboy Kim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm in the market for a new table, something on a ~$100 budget, vintages ones seem the way to go... Are Pioneer tables good ones to get? Specifically, I'm eyeing models starting with the PL catalog, so far it looks like a PL-600 would be a good choice, thoughts?

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I bought a PL-600 direct drive a couple of years ago and am very happy with it so it gets my recommendation.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I bought a PL-3000 in '95 and have not have any trouble with it. It has been my only TT ever since. Go for it !! They trounce any Hanpin out there with the exception of the PL-1000. Fit it with a basic Shure cart and you're good to go. Good luck !!

Henryflowr likes this.
  4. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

I love my PL-518, sounds great, never a problem, built like a tank.

Coricama and McLover like this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And I like my own PL 518, can say the same. Only real weakness with this model is rubber feet.

6. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Nothing wrong with Pioneer, but I prefer Technics. Never had a bad experience with Technics, and although I have a pile of turntables, I use a Technics as my daily driver.

[​IMG]

Bhob, panasoffkee and clhboa like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Technics motors are more durable and meant to be serviced in a DD. Technics belt drives are not as good as their DD models, Pioneer makes excellent models of both belt and DD turntables.

8. The Pinhead

OOps ! Meant HAVE NOT HADo_O

Can you tell us what PL model are you about to pull the trigger on ? I'd go for a direct drive one.

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Whatever you go for, don't forget to factor in the price of having it serviced, or at least the cost of a new belt and (at least) a new stylus.

Coricama, Tommyboy and The Pinhead like this.
  10. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I had a PL-514 with a Goldring Elan for a while. Had a fun time playing old 45s.

In fact, I purchased this model twice, first in 1978 and again 30 years later. Never had an issue. You're in for a new belt and a better cart/new stylus.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  11. The Pinhead

Approved !!!!:edthumbs:

[​IMG]

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

What is the price of having it serviced? :)

13. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Peace of mind.

14. The Pinhead

Depends. Usually inspecting arm pivot and checking/lubing motor spindle bearings, replacing stylus and possibly cart by a tech can amount to prolly more than what you payed for. Still a good investment.

15. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Don't rule out the belt drives of that era- PL 12/15/17 112/115/117. They're nice, dependable talks with no unobtanium parts.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

That was my first good turntable bought in the mid to late 70's. I loved that thing.

17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I'm not sure you can get a vintage turntable in good working order, with a decent cartridge for $100. What TT are you replacing? You might be better off sinking money into your existing table or just saving up for a better one. I just don't see where you'll get any satisfaction out of a vintage turntable if you don't have any money to sink into it to make it nice. I hate to be a party pooper, but you might just waste $100 and not be any better off.

Dennis0675 and The Pinhead like this.
  18. Adam9

I have a Technics (SL-Q2) as well as my Pioneer and it's been trouble-free just like the Pioneer.

19. Cowboy Kim

Just ordered a PL-600 (black model) on ebay for $83 total!
    Edit: Whoops, looks like the black model isn't so great, asked the seller to cancel the order.
    I'm replacing a Technics SL-BD20D, which I bought when I was a bit naive, and I really don't like how you can't change the tonearm weight or anti-skate (leads to Inner Groove Distortion)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Coricama likes this.
  20. Adam9

Apparently, there are 2 different PL-600s. One is belt drive and the other direct drive. I can only speak to the direct drive. Mine is silver.

21. Michael McGuire

Michael McGuire Active Member

I think ar were nice. Direct drive was an attempt to reduce wow and flutter, but it introduces 60hz vibes.

Belt drive, good heavy platter. You can upgrade the arM in the future and get a better cartridge.
    think 70s player were better than the 80s.
    M

22. Cowboy Kim

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

$100 isn't enough. If your margins are that tight, I wouldn't recommend vinyl as a playback medium.

Vinyl is the most expensive music medium you can get into, new records cost $20-$30 at a minimum. With an old table it must be serviced to ensure it is spinning at the right speed and to get a new stylus, this will run at least $100 to $150.

24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I would have gone with a semi automatic, but I hope it works out and you're happy with the final purchase. Let us know.

25. The Pinhead

You'll love it. I have the same TT minus the quartz speed control. It has served me well for the last 20 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.