How is Brian Wilson in Concert these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by albert_m, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

That's certainly an appealing theory — but hasn't Blondie Chaplin been based in the US most of the past 40-plus years? And how often does a backup musician, even a featured one, have input on the opening act?

rstamberg likes this.
  2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'll agree Matt's fine in the blend. His leads, however, suffer when he goes way up high.

Will Harris likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I doubt Blondie Chaplin had anything to do with booking Rodriguez as the opening act. Instead, someone booked him based on demographics. Both artists are going to appeal to an older demographic, NPR attuned, etc.

4. pnreum

pnreum Forum Resident

The last BW show that I attended was a festival in Jackson, Wyoming. I enjoyed the set they played. I haven't been since. They still put on a good show, but nothing can top Pet Sounds and Smile in London.

5. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I saw Brian last night here in Denver. I've seen him about 5 times in the last dozen years or so and I'm happy to say he seemed to be having a ball last night. He's obviously comfortable with the members of his band (and vice-versa). They sang "When I'm 64" to Blondie since it was his 64th birthday, with specially tailored lyrics for Mr. Chaplin. They also did an impromptu version of (Honeycomb?) for about a minute that they usually do during the sound check.

Brian was very animated. At one point I thought he should get some pom-poms since he was waving his arms around so much. He doesn't crack dumb jokes or laugh, but he was a real goofball in a very "Brian" kind of way. He'll sit there with a kind of bummed out look on his face and then suddenly shout out some comment . . . usually encouraging a band member or a comment about a song. There was lots of that. He'll also suddenly remember his instructions to smile and do that sort of totally insincere plastic smile, but his eyes seem to say, "I hate doing this but I'm supposed to so I'm gonna do it really bad and that'll be funny.". My wife and her friend were with me and they both commented on how much fun he seemed to be having in his own unique way. It's almost painful to hear Brian sing in concert these days, but they disguise that as well as they can and the crowd was REALLY into the old Beach Boys hits. Personally, I enjoyed the deep cuts. Wake The World, Girl Don't Tell Me, Busy Doin' Nothin', the new album songs & Blondie doing Sail On Sailor. The only real disappointment was the poor attendance. I'm certainly glad I went. Rodriguez was a special bonus!

6. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I'll be seeing him tonight here in SLC. Right now, it looks like I'll be watching in the rain.

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

drbeachboy and GetHappy!! like this.
  8. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I saw Brian's show Saturday night in Atlantic City. I have never been a big Beach Boys fan - in the 1970s I was far more into heavy guitar bands and therefore considered the Beach Boys to be kind of square or irrelevant.

As my musical tastes expanded, I was curious enough to get the Good Vibrations box set, and I also read the original release of Heroes and Villians, as I'll read just about any book on music.

So, I went to the show on Saturday expecting to hear songs that are considered great but that just had never especially resonated with me - but I definitely wanted to be there because I know such concert opportunities can disappear at any time, for health or any other reason.

I was blown away by the show. As a musician myself, watching how the arrangements were played out and the many varied and constantly evolving responsibilities shared among the dozen players was so impressive. The sound was incredible, and the 31 songs seemed to go by in flash. Brian seemed a bit frail, but definitely checked in musically and comment-wise, and his behavior was no different than what I expected. I knew most of the songs casually, but didn't really know them as the complex works they are - even the ones that sound deceptively simple.

Overall, I loved the show, and plan to start exploring the Beach Boys catalog with a true interest thanks to this live indoctrination.

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

A more likely theory is that Brian watched Searching For Sugar Man.

majorlance likes this.
  10. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Integrating Al into the Brian Wilson Band was a great idea. Not just because of his wonderful vocals, but also because his multiple leads really help take the load off Brian.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  11. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

these are the comments that make me the happiest.

rswitzer likes this.
  12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Me too. Just bought a ticket for next month!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.