Roon Labs Software

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by o0OBillO0o, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I just got a new touchscreen laptop specifically for the audio system. :D
    I agree that laptops or desktops or media PCs aren't an ideal audio component. Their advantage is that they're very flexible in being able to support lots of different software choices. Their disadvantage is that they're general purpose computers that aren't designed for audio in terms of their electronics, the OS, and the way they interface with DACs.

I've been using JRiver for about a decade with a Windows PC connected to a DAC either by FireWire or USB. It's flexible. I'll be able to take the same setup and try Roon. It's just a change of software. No change in hardware.

It will be interesting to find out what RoonSpeakers will be and if/how I'll be able to use it. But first I need to try Roon.

2. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Will watch your reviews Ham Sandwich. For now I will remain a non Rooner, lol. It really doesn't offer anything I am interested in at the moment, but they may offer something I would desire in the future. For now JRiver gives me all I need with video capabilities. Extra meta tag info just doesn't interest me, unless it's free with some improved SQ benefit over JRiver. Let's see if the Regen coming this month will level the playing field a bit more on PC as an audio component via USB. It's already sounding very good with the Hugo and Maggie Mini/LCD-X. Also looking forward to adding AO for Windows 10.

3. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

With a handy little script you can use Foobar2000 with your Squeezebox. That's how I use mine. And with the Darkone skin it looks pretty cool.

Tommy SB and c-eling like this.
  4. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

The Roon guys have a new version (v. 1.1) coming out later today.

Tommy SB and gloomrider like this.
  5. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

But still no iOS app...the wait continues for me.

toddrhodes likes this.
  6. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Thanks for the notice. Doing a relaunch to 1.1 now...

7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I can't quantify how much, but I feel like this is a glaring oversight by the Roon team. I'd love if I could run Roon off my iPad to my Audio PC in core mode but it appears the wait continues...

8. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I am waiting until HQ Player is integrated into it. Right now I use a combo of JRiver and HQ Player - be nice just to use the one program.

9. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

The iOS app is still in the Apple approval process. The folks at Roon used the word "infamous" to describe the process but as exasperating as it may be for them, I (as an end user) appreciate it.

toddrhodes likes this.
  10. toddrhodes

Good to know!!

11. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Hey guys... Question- I've been using JRiver for a long time now but recently I've been having buffering issues with the program freezing up. I thought the problem had gone away when I did a reinstall of windows 8 but it hasn't. This is an issue with my laptop but wondering if I should give Roon a try instead. I received a download code for a 60 day trial. Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.

12. toddrhodes

So today I made the switch to Roon for the third time, lol. But, this time I think it's going to stick.

• iOS app is out, and it is fantastic
    • Playing through JPlay to the Kernel Streaming driver for my i2S bridge sounds wonderful
    • Running Roon on Win10, to control my Server2012 box, instead of running it directly on Server2012 is a much better experience. Several glitches on Server2012 and the Roon team has stated many times, they won't support 2012 directly
    • Finally "figured out" the Focus and Discovery pieces makes all the difference. I've been letting it shuffle my music and haven't been irritated with but a couple choices. I've narrowed the focus a little and all the better.
    • Being able to Focus to high-res formats in a single genre with similar composers is fantastic and makes file organization almost moot
    I'm not able to take advantage of the EQ features of JRiver any longer but it's a worthwhile tradeoff, at least for me. I spent a lot of time setting those up in conjunction with REW so I need more time to figure out just how much I miss the changes, but I think I'm going to stick with Roon going forward. Just a fantastic experience to overlay on top of a very good playback system.

robtodd likes this.
  13. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Aurender recently updated their iOS app and implemented a nice surprise that I hope is the model for a future Roon implementation. There is now a feature to link to an album's or artist's page on Wikipedia while staying within the Aurender app. No it isn't Roon but hopefully Roon will see the wisdom to provide its database in such a manner. I would pay for that.

I think the Roon interface is fantastic but I don't "stream" from my computer so ...

14. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any info on he lifetime subscription? I'm interested in details like what does it include in terms of future updates? Like if they offer some new roon 2.0 in three years that offer some fancy new feature is that included? Has anyone bought lifetime yet?

15. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Lifetime gives you all updates forever. So does subscription as long as you continue to pay your yearly fee.

16. toddrhodes

Maybe it's just me, but the Radio feature, at times, seems to focus on a few specific artists that I really don't listen to much. It gets annoying when I'm in a Metal mood and Radio keeps throwing Steely Dan into the mix. I could go without that...

17. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I have one. Test drove for a while. Liked it. Took a leap of faith. Lifetime is forever according to the Roon folks. Once Roon Speakers is implemented I will have little need for iTunes to move music around the house.

CarterB likes this.
  18. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. Lifetime is a strange concept in software world, but I might take the leap as well.

robtodd likes this.
  19. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

You're welcome.

20. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Version 1.2 was released a day ago, RoonBridge, Linux support along with iPhone and Android phone support. If anyone cares.

RoonBridge is a seperate light install that can turn any Windows, OSX or Linux box into an Roon endpoint.

Rolltide and B-Mike like this.
  21. Any news regarding MQA support for Roon?

22. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I don't think there is any connection. No "support" needed. I think the DAC has to be able to decode MQA..as it is sent in a recognizable container.
    Maybe I am wrong.

23. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

No news with regards to software decoding. I think it already works if you have MQA capable DAC. The bigger issue is actual MQA content outside the hand full of sample albums, I'd need an album I care about to be available on Tidal and not already have it in HD PCM or DSD formats.

24. No, software decoding is possible--iOS and Android apps are (or were) planned.

So, what I am asking is whether there will be an MQA plugin for Roon that will do the unpacking and allow you to use a standard USB DAC.

As of 2015, Roon had engaged in talks with Meridian to incorporate an MQA software decoder. I'm wondering what the status of that is right now.

From Roon:

MQA Roon Support ยป

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  25. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Gotcha..but not necessary, correct? Meaning you can just have an MQA file, just a like FLAC, WAV, or DSF file sent to your DAC for decoding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.