The Death of Audiophilia

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by misterdecibel, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The audio industry definitely is not in the best of shape. Many companies have disappeared over the past twenty years. The high-end audio companies try to survive by constantly jacking up prices since the volumes are gone.

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

We live in an era of internet retail. Brick and Mortar numbers just don't represent a vitality of any given market.

SandAndGlass, jh901 and LeeS like this.
  3. Scott Wheeler

There are more high end audio makers now than ever before.

BrokenByAudio, jh901 and LeeS like this.
  4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Audiophilia is not a hobby. It's a non nonsensical obsession.

timind likes this.
  5. Scott Wheeler

Semantic arguments are a boring waste of time. "hi fidelity." "audiophilia." If you use these words and phrases as implied derogatory terms it becomes a tautological argument sans substance.

Brother_Rael and russk like this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You could say that about any number of passions.

If you are explicitly referring to the passion for reproduced sound and the related equipment, then I'd suggest that these folks help out the rest of us who are in it for the music. I don't care to listen to much of anything simply for the sake of the fidelity, but the music I like keeps sounding better as the gear improves.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It was already there, bud!

8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

They're doing the same thing with the SciFi section.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do know what kind of music millennials listen to. And, a lot of older people listen to mp3 and streaming with earbuds connected to their smartphones.

Hey guys, the age of high-end audio and the rock era was a good run, and I am glad I lived though it. We now firmly live in the age of video games.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. coopmv

:agree::agree::agree:

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

Peter W Belt lol. Is he even still around? Thought he disappeared in the 90s and I, never once no matter how expensive or "sensitive" the system could here the difference he's odd tweaks made lol

Crazy stuff like that (not just his, cable trellises anyone) opened up this hobby to ridicule on epic levels, hurt its credibility and cost it new enthusiasts.

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

I like this post for its lexical sophistication alone :laugh:

timind likes this.
  13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Twerking and tweeting are today's pleasures NOT tweaking.

Metralla, bferr1, timind and 2 others like this.
  14. russk

russk Forum Resident

Did this thread get locked then unlocked or am I imagining that?

15. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Yes.

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

There may be a logical reason why the average "hack" musician was better way back when. Back, when I was in high school, almost everyone I knew played an instrument, live music was very much a part of everyone's life, a larger gene pool so to speak. There were music stores everywhere, just like record and hi-fi stores. Beginning musicians had many mentors available to them. If you were brand new to music and just bought a guitar, everywhere you went, there was someone eager to teach you a few chords.

Some years back, a bass player named Jaco, was being interviewed about the abundance of musicians in our local area and commented that bands would get together, rent a warehouse, practice for 6-months, get a gig and a week later they would argue and the band would break up.

Lots of musical talent around, just no business sense.

When you have a lot of people playing music, talent emerges. I think the bar for an average "hack" was set a bit higher than it would be today.

BTW, only about 10% of the music I listen to today, is "classic rock" from my era, I really enjoy listening to new music from very talented young people playing music, and old jazz standards from before my time.

17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

All of us in 'traditional media' are hurting and terrified. Pick up any physical publication these days and you can feel the sadness (which apparently is lighter than air).

dan c

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Such utter nonsense. I run into plenty of kids who are as into music as any of us ever were. They consume it in a completely different way and have waaaaaay more genres and bands to choose from, but the music fan isn't going away.

Finally, all this bellyaching about the 'death of the audiophile'. I firmly believe that it's far, far easier and cheaper to get great sound than it ever was. I often think part of the allure of the Absolute Sound and Stereophile crowd was the exclusivity, the fact that you needed gobs of money for 'bargain' or entry level audiophile-approved gear just to get started. And who wants to be in a club where the HiRez cultists ridicule and mock anyone who won't claim to easily hear the difference between CD-quality and HiRez while driving their car at 80mph. It's downright delusional to think that any twentysomething would be interested in such a stodgy, antisocial and arrogant hobby.

Ranting aside, I'll put money down that the idea of the audiophile isn't going anywhere. There will always be a group that is interested in better sound. Just like the music scene, however, it's going to be a lot more fragmented.

dan c

19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Sure, you have to remember these threads are always more about My Generation > Today's Generation then anything else.

gloomrider, krisbee and Dan C like this.
  20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered Thread Starter

Not if you want to hear it before you buy. The days of competing bricks 'n mortar audio stores in every city are gone.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  21. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I've felt that way since the 60's. I don't get the any more part of your post.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Kids nowadays.

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, I was feeling in the 70s and part of the 80s that young people-OK, mostly guys-were still "into" stereos. That first transplanted into the car, then with the rise of file sharing has disappeared.

Then again, perhaps a new paradigm will come. I haven't heard the new Devialet speaker, and the price is very high, but maybe we will come to an era with some surprisingly good performance out of cool compact speakers. You just need peak power, which is getting cheaper as time goes on (or is it?)

24. coopmv

But Class D amp is still not ready for prime time according to many ...

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Up until recently I would have agreed but a short time ago I heard an Audio Research class D amp and was pleasantly surprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.