Allman Brothers withdrawal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jlbrach, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been going to see the Allman Brothers at the beacon theater since the mid 90s several shows a year and to my ears they were the best live band in the world.I really do find myself missing those shows and am looking for some band to replace the experience.Any suggestions?

2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Widespread Panic

chewy likes this.
  3. Jlbrach

i have been a panic fan for years and have seen them tons of times...great band but they arent the Allman Brothers!

4. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

There's always Gov't Mule and/or the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

kozy814, ARK, Erik B. and 1 other person like this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

We won't have to wait too long. Gregg and Dickey have been saying nice things
    about each other of late so I expect those two to be performing together again.
    Now, whether or not it leads to ten nights at the Beacon at some point, who knows.

clhboa and Erik B. like this.
  6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Really? HAd not heard / read about this.

In the meantime, Gregg's new live album may tide some of us over.

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

According to some the line-up is already set - Gregg, Dickey, Jaimoe, Duane Trucks,
    Betts' bassist Pedro and Allman's guitarist Scott Sharrard (sic). Whether it is called
    the Allman Brothers Band or something else remains to be seen.
    I am so not surprised.

8. Jlbrach

I doubt it would be called the Allman Brothers if they did work something out since they announced the end of the band pretty prominently but I would gladly go see this new incarnation if it ever made its way to the beacon

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Maybe the Allman Band.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Gregg's Back To Macon Blu ray just satisfied this fan of 43 years. We finally have the man in HD, and lossless audio, with a great band beside him, and son Devon, choking up this father of 32 years. The visuals, the audio, the career spanning songs...even using the alternate Whipping Post arrangement that infuriated a buddy of mine ! I can't recommend it highly enough if you have a home theater with a surround setup.

budwhite likes this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

the P-fish

12. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I vote for the Allman Betts Band. Not very original but it gets the job done.

kozy814, Remurmur and rockclassics like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The Butchless Brothers Band

wayne66 likes this.
  14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Dickey Betts responds to Gregg Allman (August 5, 2015):
    http://www.ticketsarasota.com/2015/08/05/exclusive-dickey-betts-responds-to-gregg-allman

One of rock 'n' roll's most famous feuds might finally be over. Gregg Allman spoke kindly of Dickey Betts in a story that surprised longtime Allman Brothers Band fans last week and now Betts, who lives in Sarasota County, is responding.

"I have no problem with Gregg, never have,” Betts said in a statement. “Sure, it would be fun to play with him again. We’ll see where it goes."

Betts and the other three surviving members of the original Allman Brothers Band acrimoniously split in 2000. Neither camp had extended an olive branch in 15 years. Lately, though, Allman has been performing the song "Southbound" with his solo band and making a point to mention the Allman Brothers hit was written by Betts.

The Wall Street Journal asked Allman about crediting Betts on stage despite their bitter falling out. "Because he should be credited for writing a very good song! Like they say, time heals. I haven’t seen him in a very long time and would be very open to it. In fact, I would love to play with him again," Allman told the Wall Street Journal for a story that ran last week.

WSJ's Alan Paul then asked, "So are you saying that…?"

...just to jam! I love my band and I’m pretty set for guitar players, but I’d love to see Betts. We had our ups and down and all our demons. We had our problems, our ins and outs and our public embarrassments on both sides. But that’s all way behind us now. There’s nothing at all wrong with forgive and forget."

Betts has not made a public appearance since performing at Robarts Arena here in November with his group Great Southern. The guitar hero has also not spoken to the media since inviting this reporter to his home for a profile piece that ran last year.

David Spero, Betts' longtime manager, told Ticket today that Betts seemed quite pleased that Allman is playing "Southbound," one of several hits including "Ramblin' Man," "Blue Sky" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," which Betts wrote during his Allman Brothers days.

"I could feel him smile when I talked to him last night," Spero said. Before there's a chance of Betts and Allman jamming together, though, Betts has to return to performing.
    "As far as Dickey’s concerned, he’s retired until he’s unretired, and I don’t know when or if that time will come,” Spero said.

GV1967 and wayne66 like this.
  15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I've been a fan since 1980 (4 years old), and while I won't jump the gun and get all worked up, it makes me feel good knowing there's potential to bury the hatchet.

I hope Gregg and Dickey can make peace. If that means getting together to jam privately, or to have lunch/dinner together then good for them. Life is too short.

ARK and wayne66 like this.
  16. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Dickey's son, Duane is out with the band Dawes right now, and if you haven't heard him play guitar I highly recommend checking him out. Looks and sounds so much like his dad it's scary!
    Here's an audience clip from 1st night of tour ... Duane crushes a solo which begins about 5 minutes in:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  17. Myke

For those unaware, I didn't see this mentioned in that great, informative post above :

This has been a very tough year so far for Dickey Betts. At Christmastime, his brother Joel was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. A few weeks ago, Joel passed away. Dickey and Joel were very close, in fact sharing the same birthday.
    Dickey advised me that he has decided to discontinue touring until further notice.
    He also wanted everyone who posted condolences to know it meant a lot to him to read them. I hope you join me and respect the privacy of the Betts family at this time.
    Signed,
    David Spero

ARK, RiRiIII, Dark Horse 77 and 2 others like this.
  18. Myke

Back in 1975, I was 16-17, and I could almost, nearly take scenes like this for granted, living just outside Nashville :

[​IMG]

RiRiIII, budwhite and clhboa like this.
  19. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

There is hope....if Gregg and Dickey miss the Allman Brothers as much as the rest of us....there is hope....

ARK likes this.
  20. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Didn't Great Southern just do a show in Tarrytown, NY or was that last year?

21. Myke

Had to have been last year.

22. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Just did some Googling. It was May 28, 2015. I wonder if he canceled?

23. Myke

He must have, he hasn't played publicly since November.

24. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Supposedly, there were a few more gigs scheduled after that one. Strange.

25. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

How do you replace the irreplaceable? You Don't...You make do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.