Sorry but the whole 1990s Music makes me cringe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Well, it started in the late 90's, but it was really in the 2000's that it took over. It wasn't until listening to music primarily on MP3 players became the norm that it truly happened, and got progressively worse.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  2. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Out of curiosity, what were you listening to?

For me, the combination of 'finding the good music that's out there' went along with finding recordings that sounded good. Sure, I bought a boatload of used LPs of varying quality condition-wise in the early '00s and missed out on the loudness issue. For new stuff, both small label rock (or, gosh darn it, post-rock), experimental, or jazz, I seemed to get CDs on labels weren't majors -- maybe that's why I don't buy into the illogic of the 'mp3s forced the majors into screwing up more than they already had, and then destroyed the initiative for anyone to make new music or good music ever since' meme.

(I know reality can be really subjective sometimes, and this may be one of those times....)

3. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Not the greatest decade, but the artists you name here make the 90's pretty damn good.

5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Call me crazy but researching and sorting through music (good and bad) to find out what I like has always been of my favorite pastimes as a music lover. I never can understand how that becomes tedious.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

That's a GREAT description of the decade. You still had songs that were like this:

Dudley Morris and Tommy SB like this.
  7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

There appears to be a lot of casual music fans on the forum who like everything spoon fed to them.

Oliver likes this.
  8. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

You can actually google the phrase 'popular ear spoons' now.

('Popular Ear Spoons' may be my new fave non-existant band name.....:righton:)

9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm sort of the same way. I think that while I was living through it, it was the horrible, local alternative rock station on the radio that brought out all of the worst aspects of 90's rock. But that period had a renaissance of sorts at my house last year and I listened to a lot of my CDs from that era for the first time in years. I realized there were scads of great things going on at that time, commercial radio not withstanding.

Rocketdog and listner_matt like this.
  10. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

The 90's were the last decade for decent music for me. It became bland and derivative after. The Coldplays of the world trying to give us dads version of Britpop...yawn.

I find it quite interesting that the 2000's have very little that is distinct and recognisable. The 60's, 70's, 80, and 90's were all unique. There were unique trends in music and fashion going on. The 80's is unmistakable.

Can anyone say there is anything distinct about the last decade and a half? 2015 looks and sounds the same as 2001.

godslonelyman likes this.
  11. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Or maybe some people are just defensive because there's some truth to what's being said. I know I don't feel the need to counteract and diminish every opinion that I disagree with.
    I came of age in the early 90s with bands like Nirvana, then found myself completely alienated from all of the 2nd and 3rd rate imitations that came after. Gavin Rossdale may have been an adequate substitute to Courtney Love in bed, but Bush as a band offered nothing to me. (I always thought it was weird when Dave Grohl was asked which bands he thought sounded like Nirvana, and he said Bush. Seemed a bit diminishing of his old band). I listened to a lot of the 80s sacred cow bands like R.E.M. and Sonic Youth as the decade wore on. To me the latter half of the decade belonged to Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind album and Patti Smith's return. I did not know that I was ingesting music that was subtly getting louder and louder. Now, I look back and none of those albums are worth much to me. There's that joke about R.E.M.'s Monster being the king of the discount bins, and I think it hides a deeper significance about the long term worth of music with little dynamic range.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Bummer.

strummer101 likes this.
  13. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I prefer Bush to Nirvana. The Brits often improve on earlier musical forms. Bush is just another case of taking a template and improving it with better compositional skills.

14. PlushFieldHarpy

The band Live could beat Bush anyday.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love Aimee Mann's 90's output!

Tommy SB likes this.
  16. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Probably been posted already...

Sneaker Pimps "Becoming X" - 1996

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    jazon likes this.
  17. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

From one of my favorite albums of the 90s...

"Above" Mad Season - 1995

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

:bigeek::yikes::shrug:

Django likes this.
  19. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Garbage - "Garbage" - 1995

wolfram likes this.
  20. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Enjoy most of Hope Sandoval's projects.

Mazzy Star - "So Tonight That I Might See" - 1993

Sondek and Bertly like this.
  21. PlushFieldHarpy

Who could cringe at this? This song makes me feel like confiding in my frat brother about that special feeling I had that one night we weren't together.

22. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Primal Scream - "Screamadelica" - 1991

Late night groove...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Izzy Stradlin And The Ju Ju Hounds - "Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds" - 1992

Great straight-up rock...

24. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth" - 1992

Beautifully haunting track...

sloaches and beatlematt like this.
  25. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Even as a Brit, I cant agree with this.
    I always thought Bush were a plastic knock off of American Garage Rock. When they came out, Britpop was in full swing. A scene that was created to get away from US Grunge music that plagued the UK charts. And here these guys were playing the exact same stuff. No wonder they were almost complete unknowns in Britain. They did well stateside though. I assume because they fitted in so well.

Shak Cohen and misterdecibel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.