Monkee predictions for 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hutch, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delilah Jones

Delilah Jones New Member

I think the inclusion of "Aunties Municipal Court" in the setlist could have changed the musical direction of the Monkees in 2013 2014 along with st mathew, angel band, different drum, while I cry, nine times blue along with Headquarters and Head, could have redefined the boys into alt psychedelic Country land where they clearly have earned their place..

ajsmith, wayne66, cwitt1980 and 2 others like this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Agreed...

However, would they have done/would they do "Different Drum"? The only Monkees era version of the song by Mike is on the TV show, so it's really probably not considered a "Monkees" tune like the other songs you mentioned are, and as such, it probably wouldn't be chosen for a Monkees concert... But, if they do solo spots in 2016, Mike could do it then...

Delilah Jones likes this.
  3. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Peter will wear the Garth Brooks orthodontist prescribed microphone. :)

5. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

6. Hutch

Please no Garth Brooks jokes. I was in Ireland last year and found out they love that guy. Is that their view of American Country music? :confused:

EDIT: I'm going back there this week to try and rectify that. :cool:

Keith V likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I don't think Dolenz realizes all that has already been released. The stuff he's referring to has been released in my opinion. What else could there be but alternate cuts and backing tracks?

BadJack likes this.
  8. Delilah Jones

Delilah Jones New Member

My own discovery of "Aunties Municipal Court" .. I youtube'd the Birds Bees and the Monkees album after seeing them live at the Beacon Theater NYC in 2011. and frankly their whole post "Head" era catalogue ,.. I was stunned to the core...
    Great songs, different musical directions some could argue ..
    Aunties Municipal Court recorded in Jan 68' hypnotically walks you into a lush beautifully arraigned psychedelic layered dream.. along with Dolenz's mesmerizing voice and a totally psychedelic feel throughout. I mentioned in my early post the direction the Nesmith led Monkees could have taken after their triumphant return in 2012.. sitting 12th row Capitol Theater port chester ny 2013 (first show of the tour) we got "kind of girl I could love"..! But that's as far as we got into the Monkees sacred catalog! Frankly if we heard the opening tuning, strumming of Aunties and played the 4 min song the boys would have defined or enhanced their appeal .. kind of what Nez was trying to accomplish in 1969..

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    wayne66 likes this.
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I tried to tell somebody on Facebook the same thing and got sternly corrected. I still think we are correct though :)

D-rock and BadJack like this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Dolenz has maybe 8-10 stock answers to every interview question, and he probably came up with this "in the vaults" line in 1986, roughly around the same time as "I'm told I had a great time" and the tale of the guy backstage asking about Jimi Hendrix. I've kind of given up on reading his interviews. I just don't believe that this huge stash of great stuff has escaped 30 years of pretty thorough excavation.

Delilah Jones, D-rock and Keith V like this.
  11. Hutch

Yeah, but Tork is the best of the four when it comes to interviews. (Ironically) He's The Monkees' champ & keeps Dolenz in check when they interview together so, if this is a dual interview, I'm in.

12. BadJack

Oh, I still want to read this article. I don't suppose it's online anywhere?

13. Hutch

I think it's next month's issue.

14. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

This past Monday was Andrew's fundraising edition for "Come To The Sunshine," which included a way to generate a bunch of small pledges by getting your request played for a $5 donation.
    I figured I would accomplish two things at once (help the show and Luxuria, plus see if there was any upcoming reissue news.)
    I requested a sneak preview of the "More of The Monkees" super deluxe issue and he played an interesting version of "Laugh" that concentrated almost enturely on the vocal tracks, along with a lot of goofing in the background. He then mentioned that work had not even begun for this project, followed by something that sounded too close to "not gonna happen" to be encouraging.

15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

It'll happen. He's already said that Rhino is supportive and excited about the 50th anniversary.

Grand_Ennui and swedwards1960 like this.
  16. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member

I have a very strong inkling that Live Japan 1968 will get a legit release.

17. readr

readr Forum Resident

I heard the broadcast and I took away from it that we shouldn't hold our breath for this release in the immediate future, because he hasn't started working on it yet (which hasn't been given the green light yet). He did say, after the not gonna happen (meaning not soon) that the track he was playing may or may not be included on the MOTM box set. So, we shouldn't expect this release soon, but we should expect it in the future. I actually found his comments very encouraging.

The Laugh alternate was cool, but not groundbreaking. The backing vocalists aren't Monkees (sans Davy), so it was kind of a "meh". The cool thing was the Keys To The Car demo, which I guessed had to come from the same source as a lot of those demos from the BB&M box set.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Nesmith's tune "Keys To The Car" ?

Grand_Ennui and Keith V like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Be really cool if it didn't contain the broadcasters taking over the concert ...

Parlophony, Hutch and Grand_Ennui like this.
  20. BadJack

Tork said in a podcast that Nesmith "wants not to do this anymore" regarding touring. If this just applies to the current round of Monkees dates or goes deeper, we'll see. It seems that once the 2014 shows ended, Nesmith bagged his own solo tour and seemed to withdraw somewhat.

21. Grand_Ennui

I hope you're right about this... That's a great concert...

I agree, it'd be cool if they weren't on there... But, being they're part of the broadcast, there'd be no way to get rid of them without chopping off part of the song(s) and I'd rather have them on there talking over the start of each song rather than have part of the song completely removed... And I'm sure it didn't happen, but I wish there would have been soundboard recordings of the shows in Australia and/or Japan, that would have been cool...

D-rock likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

I know a lot of people seem to like "Laugh", but to me, it's the weakest cut on MOTM after "The Day We Fall in Love"... With "Laugh" being part of the original MOTM LP, I'm guessing they'd want to include an alternate take (or takes) of the song, but for me, the less there is of "Laugh", the better...

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I think he picked "Laugh" to mock us. :eek:
    And yes, I'm joking. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this wonderful series of album boxed sets is over. I would think the easiest thing they could do to capitalize on the anniversary is put out a deluxe greatest hits for mass consumption. There's probably more money in that. :(

24. Grand_Ennui

I do hope you're wrong about that (the end of the super deluxe editions)...

But whether they do the others as super deluxe editions or not, I think you're right that there *will* be a deluxe greatest hits package for the 50th anniversary...

25. 905

905 Senior Member

Nez doesn't run on Monkee time anyway, that's what makes the 2012, 13, and 14 tours even more amazing. Even if he doesn't want to tour for the 50th year he may want to in 2017 or 18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.