Yes 90125 Target, how is the sound?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phishphreak, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

They seem to be indentical. I have the original Atco/blue lettering, the target, and the remaster. the remaster is loud & harsh sounding, but I do like the bonus tracks.. :)

2. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I had the target. In fact it was my very first cd. I sold it a few years ago, when I still believed that remasters were the better choice. :mad:
    :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:

SHAME ON ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :realmad: :tsk: :shrug: :cussing: :yikes: :thumbsdn: :shake: :crazy: :rant:

Achim

wrappedinsky likes this.
  3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

You can find a recent unremastered copy on the cheap. The 90125 was the same WCI mastering up until the new one with the bonus tracks.:agree:

4. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

:( :( :( :(
    I want my target back !

Achim

wrappedinsky likes this.
  5. LesPaul666

It's a very fine disc.:agree: That purple ATCO Target label is a sight to behold.:)

6. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Sorry for being infantile. ;)
    Thanks for the hint ! :righton:

Achim

7. 90125 sounds great.

What do you think of The Doors, Morrison Hotel target?

8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

About a decade for me too :eek: Time flies.

I should play it to celebrate the CD's 25th birthday....it was the first CD I ever bought.

9. LesPaul666

That and the L.A. Woman targets are very great sounding discs. Those are masterings that should have been left well enough alone. Then in 1988...:D

10. You mean, other than Steve's stellar job on L.A. Woman right? :thumbsup:

11. LesPaul666

Absolutely. Steve's are the best in my opinion, but the target versions of all the Doors' CD's were good sounding as well.:)

12. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident

Wow, 90125 was the first CD that I bought, too! Before I had a CD player. I actually like both masterings of 90125 (the original blue-ring Atco and the Rhino remaster); they're very much so apples and oranges in terms of sonics, but both are great. I also have gripes with each mastering:
    1. The original mastering has a weird high frequency hum at the beginning of "Owner Of A Lonely Heart", right where the guitar comes in. Corrected on Rhino.
    2. The Rhino remaster cack-handed the beginning of "Our Song"; it starts at full volume, not the slow fade up that I've heard on all previous formats of this album. Methinks the original artists' intent was the fade-up, and I like it better that way.
    Also, I recall seeing a Columbia House issue of the original mastering of this CD which had the shiny silver, LP-styled cover on its booklet. Tres cool. Great CD.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I have a version that has a light blue Atco logo, with matching blue ring inside a black ring; on the business side, it says "Made In W. Germany By PDO". On the back insert, it says "Manufactured by Columbia House under license." Is this one groovy?

14. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Same with the instrumental coda on Does It Really Happen? from Drama.

15. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

When comparing the fade-out on "Hold On", it starts later on the remaster and sounds more stalled than faded. One reason I still keep my original CD.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I remember returning mine because of that. I think it was one of the first dozen or so CD's that I bought. Of course the second copy was the same. I haven't heard the Rhino.

17. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's on the recording. Bill Inglot might've used a low pass filter to filter it out on the Rhino remaster.

18. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

It may not be the target, but it seems jpc still has copies of the original release.
    Most likely the same mastering, just not as pretty to look at ;)

19. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Yeah,The Japanese version sounds thin and very tinny-that's for sure! Michael Boyce

20. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I found a sealed unremastered copy in a music shop. I went :pineapple:

21. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I bought the Target a year or two back only to find it's identical to the Atco I bought years back.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The label side on my copy is a dark pink (fuschia?) with silver lettering including the Atco logo.

The ring around the label (i.e. the target) is green.

Made in West Germany by Polygram

23. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

+1:(

24. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I have the original Target 1980s pressing and I always noticed it has some digital noise at the beginning of owner of a lonely heart. Apart from that it sounds great.

I first heard it at a Culture Club concert in 1984 before the concert they played the album through the PA system, sounded amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.