The current state of late night talk television...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ty D. Tatman, Jun 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

IMHO Corden is a train wreck and I think CBS realizes their mistake. The repeats are a deliberate effort to thin out his current and potential audience. I don't know what kind of contract they gave him, but I think he will be gone as soon as CBS can justify it.

I liked Fergusen, so I was willing to give Corden a chance but I found him way too loud, way too in your face, and way too bombastic for my taste.

Your mileage may vary of course and that's cool but not for me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    wayne66 likes this.
  2. Remurmur

I'm wondering if he stills talks about his small *****. That was always more Howard than I really needed to know ....:)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  3. Remurmur

Again, just my opinion, but Fallon has got to be the biggest and most obvious suck up in the history of late night television.

goodiesguy, OldSoul and Bill like this.
  4. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Fallon and Kimmel are much better than Leno and Letterman. Leno has never been funny and Letterman stopped being funny in the late 80s. Conan was great on NBC, but not so great now. I noticed his show got better back in the day when Richter left. Maybe he should leave again. Colbert was great on the Colbert Report, hopefully he'll be able to be as good on network TV.

5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I'm happy with the current state of late-night television.
    It lets me get a lot of reading done without any concern
    whatsoever about missing anything worthwhile.

wayne66, Dan Kennedy and shokhead like this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a running bit she does when she's on Jimmy's show, where she's supposed to be impersonating somebody but clearly knows nothing about them.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Kristen Wiig was from Saturday Night Live, which I'm now guessing is one sketch show you've never seen, since you didn't know that. :D Don't worry, she annoyed a lot of people while she was on there. You either love her or absolutely despise her and never want to see her again. I'm in the latter group, so, I haven't seen that clip, but I'm sure it's horrible.

8. OldSoul

I actually think Corden is fine. I don't get why everyone despises him so much. He's not appointment viewing like Craig was, but he does the job.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I only watch a talk show when a guest I enjoy is on.

JerolW likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've never watched SNL, so I don't know where this venom is coming from. I'd only become aware of her through her movie roles (first in Paul) and I find her to be very likable and talented.

11. OldSoul

She's better in movies, apparently. You can't understand the venom unless you watched the show while she was on.

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

40 plus years is way too long for any tv show.

Late night on cbs will die eventually Corden then Coldbeer.

13. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I know classic SNL, but that's about it really haha

OldSoul likes this.
  14. OldSoul

That's fine. Haha You especially don't need to anything about this last season.

15. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I have not watched Corden, but your statement seems to be the consensus on him. Who knows, I had another thought on this. CBS should have just showed Letterman repeats until Colbert comes on in the fall. They could have called it Dave's top 100 episodes. Better than the stuff that they are putting on know.

16. OldSoul

They don't have the rights to the show anymore.

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think that late night is so bad because of NBC's hostage-like relationship with Lorne Michaels, whose SNL franchise is at an all-time low. If Fallon and Meyers are the best we have to host talk shows, the future of real conversation and cutting edge comic bits is pretty well shot. Love yer new album discussions with the latest winners on The Voice and celebrity charades, prefaced with questions to guest contestants like, what's the wildest thing that happened to you in your seven seasons on SNL, are here to stay. Yowza.

darkmass likes this.
  18. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Corden was the first CBS had a hand in picking a host without Worldwide Pants (aka, Dave himself) and it's pretty awful.

wayne66 likes this.
  19. Django

Django Forum Resident

Keep Corden in the US please.

20. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

That was pretty quick. Oh well, it would have been nice to keep Dave on for a few months more. Too bad.

21. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would say that Corden is bad, but I know when I turn on late-night TV I have a certain expectation of what I am going to see, and he isn't meeting that. I get more of what I might expect from an Ellen type show.

22. Remurmur

Only if all you Irish folks send us all your Rory Gallagher albums ...;) :)

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The decision to fill Dave's slot with prime time reruns was made long before Corden's show debuted and has nothing to do with the quality of his show. I haven't seen the show so I have no opinion on it, but what he's getting right now amounts to an extended grace period. I doubt CBS has much expectation for his show at present, and won't take any serious look at his ratings until at least a couple months after Colbert debuts.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Aside from the fact that they no longer have the rights to Dave's show, the prime time reruns are pulling roughly the same ratings Dave's show was prior to his retirement bump. Letterman reruns likely would do worse in the ratings than the prime time reruns, as it's been established that viewers in general tune out talk show reruns that are more than a couple months old. Even in Carson's final years, they stopped showing reruns more than a few months old because the ratings dropped every time they went with an older episode. To most people, watching an old talk show is like watching an old newscast.

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

Deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.