$2400 speakers vs my $150 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There aren't any true hi-end audio stores in my area, so my experience in this hobby isn't sullied by such experiences. I intend to keep it that way. I want to hear important music recordings better and better as I upgrade and I don't need a sales guy pushing their own biases. I also don't need any Mac gear for my purposes.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

no stores in Pburg? That sounds crazy. I wouldn't buy speakers, amps or receivers that I couldn't audition in person.

3. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

I've heard analog sources through Golden Ear Triton Twos and watched movies using a full 7.1 Golden Ear setup. All sounded pretty great, very smooth and plenty of bass from the tower's built in subwoofers. I can't say they completely blew me away or anything, but they're nice speakers and much better than a lot of modern towers I've heard.

I think the problem here is the Limp Bizkit... I don't know what kind of magic speakers would make that sound good :).

Synthfreek likes this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A: The A/D/S speakers are exceptional for their time.

B: Nothing can make Limp Bizkit sound good. You should have told the person giving the demo that you don't want to hear LB, will leave the store if they play LB. It's your taste in music that counts here, not the taste of the person giving a speaker demo. When hearing a speaker demo, always bring your own music. You know what you're looking for in a pair of speakers, they don't. You know your musical tastes, they don't.

C: There are some great speakers being manufactured these days.

bhazen likes this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

All three points are the truth. Sounds like the sales guy was behaving like an ass.

Robin L likes this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Ahhh...to relax, close one's eyes and take in the lovely sound of "The Bizkit" while auditioning expensive audio equipment. How could anyone even do that without cracking up?

jh901 likes this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Slap it on the end of some Cerwin Vega! speakers and feel your eardrums liquify! :cop:

bhazen likes this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Stacked Klipschorns coupled to Parasound Monoblocks, cranked to 11.5.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Did hearing Limp Bizkit make you wanna break stuff in the store? ;)

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Getting into serious hifi resolution when we start talking Cerwin Vega. Maybe crank up some Maroon 5 or Florida Georgia Line. Ooh. Evanescence for some female vocal magic! Finish up with Linkin Park.

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  11. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

that's some lo-brow hi-fi right there.

12. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

they make things different and hype it to death today,to get you to buy ridiculous looking speakers with sound that can be found in many good vintage speakers, and in some cases, better sound in the vintage market, with a little research and effort
    Heard mentality at work today, it is cheaper to stamp out small speakers,than cast horns and build drivers, ask any bean counter.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My towers sport twin 6.5¨ and they kick my @rse with properly-recorded music. I mean they do bring down the house ! So much so sometimes I have to turn my sub off.

14. There's no doubt there are some good vintage speakers out there, but I don't think you can say that about the vast majority of them....and I've owned my fair share in the nearly 50 years I've been a music/audiophile.

KT88 likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Totally agree; I love vintage everything except speakers. There really has been progress in that department. To my ears, good modern speakers trounce good vintage ones. And most of today's budget ones are simply lightyears ahead of budget speakers of the past. Case in point ? The new Pioneer U$ 130 towers. And they're just an example.

PearlJamNoCode and bhazen like this.
  16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There were definitely good speakers, which are now considered "vintage" but we have to compare them to the technologies of the day to be fair to their designers. In a more practical manner, comparing old to new designs today, there are few vintage models that can compete sonically with many of the better modern designs. Speakers are not the only area to have improved either. Even when we look at great older designs of some amplifiers for instance, we can see that many have age related issues and can sometimes cost as much as a modern replacement for proper restoration. So, I agree it is more related to time and available technology than to a lack of passion in the designers of gear that is now "vintage".
    -Bill

Johnny Vinyl and The Pinhead like this.
  17. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've got some 'Giant Killers' myself.

$349/pr. Paradigm bookshelfs that sound better than many speaker systems I've heard that cost in the thousands....

18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

That's such a broad conclusion. How much time did you spend with these other speakers in your current set-up?

Think KEF LS 50 will get taken by yours in your room? See if you can borrow a pair and then let's see about killing some giants.

19. new world man

new world man Member

I think it really depends on the room and how well a design works within that room. How a speaker's voiced will have an impact too, so I'm not so sure it's all down to a straight race between the Paradigms in the earlier example and the KEF LS50s. Could I believe, however, that the Paradigms could be a more well suited speaker in some circumstances over the LS50? Yes indeed. Not least, when it comes down to a personal preference.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I realize that most folks feel that they have to audition a piece of gear before buying it. I'm of the opinion that you really have no idea of what a particular item sounds like until you have it in your system, in your room and live with it for a while.
    I can honestly say that with the exception of one or two items i've owned, most items were bought without audition. Now, i do my research, I read reviews and surf the net reading peoples opinions but i do buy based on past experience with brands and reviews.
    Sure, i've made mistakes but i sell it and buy something else an just move on.

21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I didn't like the sound of horns back in the day, and I still don't. That's based on my own listening, not following some sort of "heard". Horns sound good to some people, not to others. I try not to make sweeping conclusions based on my own limited experience.

John K.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I, too, am a proponent of alternative gear selection methods, but for those such as myself who appreciate your point, it would be nice to have a few genuine hi-end audio dealers within an hours drive. Theoretically, it would be possible to home demo gear after building a relationship.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

my speakers weigh 85lbs each, mailing them to and fro would be a challenge. You wont know exactly what they will sound like until you have them in your space and system but you can get a good sense of their personality on a demo.

24. Guy, I don't know if this listening session was spontaneous or planned. If it was not planned then I understand your position and I suggest you listen again with different music.
    You went in, tried a pair of speakers, heard unknown source material, made an opinion, and left the shop unimpressed.
    However, if this was planned I feel you sold yourself short by listening to unknown material.
    Whenever auditioning any equipment, especially speakers, it is in your best interest to bring very well known music.
    While it is great to have, well mastered, high end recordings it is even more important to know the music you will listen to very well.
    When you know the exact music you will listen to you are then able to control a big portion of the whole result by having a know expectation in said recording.
    Letting the clerk pop in anything to listen to leaves you wide open for far too many variable to muddy the test, even if the material is first rate.
    Even if the music is something you know, a familiar song, it is not the exact music you regularly listen to and know from personal home experience.
    Anyway, go back, bring some music you know by heart and listen for what you know should be there. Then you may have a somewhat better idea about what speakers offer.
    As always, your hearing is unique to you and your likes and dislikes are yours too. These do play a huge role in what sounds good to your ears.
    As a side note. If you want to go see how the other half lives you should step way up and try stuff in the new car price range just for fun.
    I have listened to a $70,000 pair of speakers set up in a specific room with ultra high end equipment providing the input.
    While I don't think I will ever purchase in that range I am glad I tried it when I had the opportunity.

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.