Big Brother 17 (U.S.)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I don't know, but...

DaVonne must not be a very good dealer because she's not good at hiding her feelings. And, as far as strategy is concerned, it is a good move to get rid of Audrey. She has proven herself to be a bad player. She makes no bones about telling/showing everyone her hand, and she is way too conspicuous. She's not even thinking straight. All she's thinking about is having a woman win, and not mapping out a clear plan.

Jeff is a real *******.

I haven't been watching that closely yet, but, so far, i'm rooting for bubba James to win this. But, I would also like to see the very nerdy Steve win this, just because he's in school to be an audio engineer. :righton:

minerwerks and rburly like this.
  2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'd like to see Steve win too. He's a little naive socially, but he just graduated from college. There are other people I wouldn't mind to see winning, and those I definitely don't want to see win.

Grant likes this.
  3. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I was listening to Steve and John talking earlier today, and Steve went into how a fraternity he was pledging manipulated the rules so he would have to leave. He couldn't tell they did not like him, because he missed all the cues. He mentioned how he needed people to spell these things out directly to him. There's occasional speculation in these threads that a houseguest has Asperger's - this kind of thing is a hallmark of that diagnosis, isn't it?

I sympathize with Steve a lot. The way he acts around the house is how I feel in situations where I don't feel like I have a lot in common with the people I'm around. Another moment that hit close to home with me was a time that Jace cornered Steve and started a hard press on him about how Steve needed Jace going forward (and therefore should not vote him out). Jace was laying out all these points and Steve was simply nodding and saying "yes" in acknowledgment. It felt clear to me that this was the best that Steve could do as far as keeping his real thoughts from coming out, but this is exactly the kind of situation where you have to have a poker face and not give that away. Jace had figured out Steve's weaknesses pretty quickly and this interaction (along with another one I saw earlier in the week) felt to me like borderline bullying. Jace would have been told off if he handled any of the other houseguests the same way.

Grant and Tom in Houston like this.
  4. minerwerks

I wish he would just shut up. Not that I want him to do better, but he's going to hurt his chances if he doesn't.
    Sadly, I found out he's from Tampa, which is basically where I live. :rolleyes:

rburly and Grant like this.
  5. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

What would a threesome romance on a reality show be called , a throwmance?

rburly likes this.
  6. minerwerks

I'm not alone...
    @AarynsInnerself tweeted: If Jeff's alone in the woods, and there's no one there to hear him, is he still talking?

rburly likes this.
  7. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Still, I don't find John's behavior offensive, neither manipulative, abrasive, nor aggressive. I kind of like him, in the same way I am generally in favor of James, and Steve.

Maybe it's the way John laughs his way through his answers to anyone's questions, and through his confidential talks with the camera to the world outside the house. Maybe the laughter makes it seem that he isn't taking things seriously, that would be kindred to Spicoli. John comes off a little goofy. (insert nitrous oxide joke here).

I realize that you are referring to his actual speech patterns, and accent. I don't think he is quite there, but I don't have BBAD to let me see/hear more.

I also think that Audrey has been neutralized. Audrey can wait to leave in a round or even two. I'm ready for the new HOH to get her way and push the ever caustic houseguest she has her sights on, on out the door. From what I've seen, that player's relentless pot-stirring (2nd only to Audrey's) has earned her an early exit too. Might as well be now.

rburly likes this.
  8. minerwerks

John is so amped up in the Diary Room when we see the final edited show. When he's just casually having conversations with the other houseguests, there's something a little different about him, but not the same as they're playing up on TV.

As far as John's laugh, he has almost exactly the same laugh as Seth Rogen.

I was thinking, if Audrey's intent was to get things stirred up on week one and then lay low, that might be a workable strategy. She gets to see how everyone acts under pressure, who is most (or least) trustworthy, then she can align with others who might not be sure where they stand.

There was a Big Brother "prom" and talent show the other night on the live feeds, and it was interesting because everyone except Jace and Audrey were participating and having fun. That can't help her game. Kathy Griffin's joke on the live show about Audrey needing to get out of bed was spot on.

rburly and Tom in Houston like this.
  9. SomedayMan

SomedayMan Active Member

Could be. I don't like to be too quick to label as Asperger's as too many use that as a catch all to describe someone (including themselves) that has social awkwardness and quirks. I've lost count how many people have said about themselves "I'm an Aspie!" and they simply self-diagnosed themselves. That's not how it works.

I would much rather describe someone as being on the Autism Spectrum when in fact they are and that applies. I feel the Asperger's label had been abused and overused and used incorrectly. Not always of course.

rburly and minerwerks like this.
  10. Grant

Steve mirrors me in a lot of ways, and I think a lot of people here are also Aspergers, even though one forum member gets angry when I suggest it. A lot of Aspergers do go into engineering, are obsessive, and aren't exactly socially adept. I'm not wrong! I digress.

But, anyway, for that reason, I hope he finds a way to make it in this game.I hope some good person in that house decides to partner up with him. They guy is smart. He has studied the game, so he is a valuable asset.

And, seriously, Steve is the kind of guy i'd like for a friend. He's into audio engineering! That's my thing!

minerwerks and rburly like this.
  11. Grant

Well, you're right there, but, c'mon! I think there are a LOT more Aspies running around in this world than you think! We're not talking classic Autism here, just a degree of an Autistic spectrum.

When you see genuine, classic behaviors, there is no other answer. I have it to a degree, but I work on overcoming it.

rburly likes this.
  12. Grant

It's his whole attitude. He even looks like he doesn't give a ****!

13. rburly

It's the classic sign and symptom of Aspergers (Autism Spectrum Disorder now). My niece has it and she had a lot of trouble when she was in school. She always has difficulty with social situations, but when we have family get togethers, I always make a point of talking to her about things, knowing what she's going through. I try to make her comfortable.

I saw John with Shelli, Clay, Jeff and Jackie last night. They now have an alliance. They were trying to think of someone they could bring into their alliance and John first said that he didn't trust Steve. Then they decided (the last I saw) that they wouldn't bring anyone else in but would all have at least one person they could talk to outside the alliance. John seems to talk to Steve more than anyone else. They're trying to exploit these relationships, but it makes sense. Jace was a flat out bully, I admit. Nothing to really like about that guy at all.

14. SomedayMan

SomedayMan Active Member

Oh I agree. Don't get me wrong. I just hesitate when it comes to using that label.

I agree. Like I said though, I just don't like to be too quick to use that label. Abuse and overuse of it gives a false impression of it and that does those with it a real disservice. Good for you in working to overcome those behaviors. I'm sure it's not easy.

Grant likes this.
  15. rburly

This is for anyone interested in what's happening and don't have live feeds or watch BBAD.
    Shelli has pointed out that her target is Da'vonne, but Steve won the POV comp, so he took himself down. The POV ceremony will be tomorrow, and while Shelli originally said she was going to put up Liz, she thinks that Day is in an alliance that includes Meg. She's been talking more the last few days about putting up meg as the pawn and not Liz. She made that more firm in discussion in her new alliance last night. Despite Shelli's desire to rid the house of Day, everyone else wants Audrey gone.

Shelli was complaining (read whining!) about no one having come up to see her or talk to her about what her thoughts about her nominees. She was so happy when Jackie and John came up (Jeff was already talking to Clay when she came in the room) to talk! It made her day. It was funny to watch.

16. Grant

Thanks! It's not easy! It can lead to a lot of depression, too. I had a friend who committed suicide because he felt he could never have a "normal" life getting married and having kids. Thing is, most Aspies I know do eventually have those things at some point.

Now, back to BB!

SomedayMan and rburly like this.
  17. Grant

I have started watching BBAD, but I need to sign up for the online feed. I feel like we are missing most of it by watching the network shows.

Steve is proving himself to be a tough competitor, despite his social issues. I also think it's time someone took a look at Clay and Jeff. From what I know, if the other houseguests aren't careful, those two could possibly make it to the end.

18. rburly

I'm watching Steve right now, and man is he active and social. I think he's just naive socially. He's really active with Shelli, John and a few others right now. Wow! Now Shelli is calling Steve mean! He's joking around with them. Shelli continues to whine about no one coming up to see her. lol

19. Grant

Shelli is "emotionally delicate".

20. minerwerks

Steve is definitely making the most of the situation. But there's just a level of strangeness that he is going to continue to unwittingly give off. My feeling is that will stick in the back some peoples' heads because they will mistake the behavior for gameplay. And as I suggested before, based on Steve's interaction with Jace, I bet he's going to have trouble with any level of deception. I think it will be really interesting to see what houseguests say about Steve behind their backs and later after individuals are out of the game.
    But like Grant said, Steve is proving to be a good competitor. The Battle of the Block that just aired should show the rest of the house where his skills will come in most handy. That would have been the perfect comp for me, having worked with video cameras for years.
    :laughup:

21. minerwerks

By the way, in memory of the departed Jace, I thought I would share a few memories of things that made me laugh on the feeds...

At different times, Jace claimed that he was going to concentrate on his music career and, most amusingly, that if he raised the money, his friend would get him in on the ground floor of the first legal dispensary in South Beach.
    When Jace was campaigning to stay in the house, he claimed that he had nowhere to go once he was out and that he had just crashed his car last week. I suppose this seems a bit heartless to laugh at theoretical misfortune, but I envision Jace to be like a real-life person I know who never takes responsibility and sponges off everyone. I would laugh at his misfortune.
    One afternoon when Jace was sitting next to the hot tub, he was making up a song about Liz and Big Brother came over the intercom and said, "Please stop singing." After Jace resumed, Big Brother came over the intercom to say, "That's annoying. Please stop." :laugh:

rburly likes this.
  22. rburly

I remember watching that. The BB "voice" can be hilarious at times. I know they have him say things at times that are funny to break the monotony of being in that place at times.

Jace will likely be the same person on the outside as he was on the inside. He's not the kind of person I'd want to be around very much.

23. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

What is the deal with "Dentist Boy", when he's in a room with someone, he speaks real soft, but when he's in the diary room, HE'S SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS!!!

rburly likes this.
  24. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I think its sad that the transsexual character is being presented as being so shifty. Really, would anyone be so dumb as to go spreading lies about people on BB when everybody talks on that show?

That's your standard BB diary room bluster voice. Dan was the first one I noticed doing it.

25. minerwerks

She admitted as much on the CBS show Sunday night, she overplayed and has to lay low. I'm sure rburly would agree, if you saw all the stuff happening on the live feeds, you would know that CBS left out a lot of other things that pointed (unfortunately) in the "shifty" direction.

rburly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.