Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I owned quite a few of these back in the day. Since I just listened to the Egmont, it reminded me that I loved Lenny's performance of it.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yes. Available on Tidal.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The VPO/DGG recordings are Bernstein's later years. These re-makes have many examples of Bernstein at his most exaggerated, like his remakes of Sibelius 5th and 7th symphonies. In any case, my issue with the Columbia [later Sony] NYPO recordings is the variable sound quality. I suspect that a lot of the sonic issues have been ironed out in the recent mega-box reissues. The earlier "Eroica" recording was looser is conception and realization than the re-make. On the other hand, the 1964 NYPO recording of the 7th compares favorably with the 1970's VPO production in all respects, resulting in a competitive dead heat twixt the two, at the very top of the heap. Bernstein's DGG Beethoven cycle was earliest among the maestro's DGG recordings and are are the least mannered of Lenny's remakes. There's some Mahler from the later years stretched like taffy and a slo-mo rendition of the 'Enigma' Variations that must be heard to be believed.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Mik, ToddBD and drh like this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I listened to Glazunov's Violin Concerto Op. 82 for the first time yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot.
    The cd that I listened to was with Oscar Shumsky and the Scottish National Orchestra/Neeme Jarvi (Chandos).

Anyone familiar with this work? Are there any other recommended recordings?

bluemooze likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am envious of you living in Finland just because of all these metal records that must be available there!

6. john greenwood

I have Fischer and Heifetz, both on SACD, but I have not really focused on the piece.

7. john greenwood

Tidal.:hide:

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, John! Lol, I just realized that I have the Heifetz SACD too.......:hide:

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I only enjoy Bernstein/NYPO recordings from Bernstein's early years, i.e. when he was the conductor ...

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

1939-10-28 with NBCSO--BBC Mus Mag from RCA 60269-2-RG

(Mine is packed away, too, but I usually include such things in the folder name when I do my transfers.) :tiphat:

Oh, and speaking of tipping hats, when I wrote

I was remiss: I didn't credit Gilbert Rowland's attempted complete cycle on his own Keyboard label, spanning 25 or so LPs and on into two or three CDs, which expressly organized the sonatas in Kirkpatrick pairs/triptychs. What a pity he never finished that admirable project.

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I just saw the 1939 date on JRiver (The Lenore says 1945). I need more coffee!

12. john greenwood

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of Tidal

WHitese, Mik, Robin L and 1 other person like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I love his DG Pathetique.

14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

And I love this 2-CD set...red hot, no "taffy" here for sure :D though I do agree with Robin L's take on most of those DGG/Bernstein recordings.
    [​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Well, I wouldn't recommend Jose Serebrier, and the Russian National Orchestra with Rachel Barton. I think it is mostly because of Serebrier.

17. coopmv

I know a number of you are into Toscanini. While I do have a number of recordings by Toscanini, including his Beethoven cycle, I still prefer Furtwangler over him ...

18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying CD 01 of this set, my very first complete set of Haydn piano sonatas. Great piano sound coupled with nimble, fleet playing. A winner!

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Shaham and Pletnev/RNO is my favorite performance of the Glazunov Concerto. It is on DG but OOP. Great sound.
    The Allegro Finale is a fun listen in that piece.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  20. Rose River Bear

I listen to Lenny's slow stuff on occasion and wind up stopping most of them midstream. There is one exception-his VPO recording of the Sibelius First Symphony. I may be going overboard but that is one of my favorite orchestral recordings of all time.
    I agree.....his Enigma rendition must be heard at least once. :D
    I think it is a little too slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Mik, ToddBD, Robin L and 1 other person like this.
  21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks for the recommendation and the non-recommendation, folks :wave:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The first few volume were on Archiv.

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  23. George P

[​IMG]

Uh-oh!

I can't figure out what it is, but there is a noise is, like a "pop" or "click" sound, but it's on my set and two others that I tried from completely different sources. It can be easily heard intermittently throughout the set, but clearly heard on such movements as track 11, CD 01 and track 02, CD 02.

Can folks who have this set please check and see if you hear the noise and can tell me what it is? It's on Spotify as well.

24. coopmv

VPO vs. NYPO over the past forty years? It is a no-brainer pick for me.

25. Rose River Bear

I am guessing you like the NYPO. I don't know, some Lenny fans are rabid over his later stuff. I have some of the box sets.