Alice Cooper 15cd boxset coming July 31 (finally!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

As a hardcore Alice Cooperfan I can tell you that's NOT true.
    The set mentioned 8 years ago was supposed to be a super boxset with all the albums and extra's. That never happened and was put on the shelf. This box is just a simple box as Warner and other companys are releasing for a couple of years now.
    Throw in all the albums in one cheap box in mini lp style. There are already one or two of these boxes for Alice Cooper.
    Sometimes the recordcompany put some extra's in those boxes but mostly not. Just a quick cashgrab.
    The best we can hope for that they will include the bonustracks that were on most of the last releases.

And to answer the other question about the use of the Steve Hoffman mastering I can say NO.

2. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Ok...all I ever heard back then was they were doing a boxset of all the WB albums so I assumed this was it...obviously a boxset with all the extras would be preferable but seems like that's not gonna happen anytime soon then :-(

3. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Thank you, Steve.

I probably could have done my own research, but laziness may have creeped in, OR, maybe I knew this and had since forgotten as the brain cells diminish as I enter the... um... what were we talking about, then?!

Truly thanks.

OberonOz likes this.
  4. moops

moops Senior Member

I'll be going for it, don't have the first two or anything after WTMN.
    I envision a box similar in quality to Rhino's ZZ Top box from 2013.
    I'd be perfectly happy with that.

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I wish they would give Maria Muldaur this box set treatment :cheers:

wayneklein likes this.
  6. moops

moops Senior Member

I emailed Dr. Rhino about remastering for this set .....

Thank you for your email.
    The titles in this box set were not remastered for this release.

Dr. Rhino

7. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Let me guess....you don't know what DaDa is either....

8. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Nope. Always figured it was the flip side MaMa.

9. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

HaHa

10. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I just noticed it's now listed on amazon.ca for $83.45, which works out to less than $6 per album. Pretty good deal, in my opinion.

11. mark kirk

mark kirk Forum Resident

Good news! I've had it on pre-order from amazon.ca at $127, so this is going to be a big savings... thanks for letting me know Sir!

12. No, the Little Feat was a mixture of newer Japanese remasters and the original masters. it was whatever Warner had on hand.

Some of the Rad Gumbo discs were slightly compressed, some were just a bit less bright than previous, etc.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/album?artist=Little feat

Some used the plain Jane original masterings and some like Waiting for Columbia used the deluxe (since that was the only mastering for the two disc set)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  13. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

This is what I expected. There is a trend to repackage existing masterings of discographies and sell them cheap. Regular CDs are diving in sales so bundle and try to squeeze a few more dollars before cd era all but ends.

For artists with decent common masterings these can be a good value. For Alice there are audiophile pressings and other titles are cheap so I like the individual purchases.

I like the boxes where some titles are rare and expensive individually and regular mastering is fine

I file Alice Cooper under C and Elton John under J. If I was doing this back in the day when AC was a band and Vincent hadn't become known as Alice on the golf course I would file them under A just as I file Jethro Tull under J

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You lost me, what am I supposed to see in that DR link? I see Rad Gumbo discs that match my Mini LP's Rhino 2 CD Columbus and older Hoy Hoy.
    Sorry to veer off track here

15. eelkiller

Thank you, glad I did not preorder.

Trapper J likes this.
  16. Ah I see you were referring to the Japanese remasters? Yes, they are the same as those. I thought you were referring to the original masters that Warner put out domestically.

Many thought that the masters for the U.S. Editions were in the Rad Gumbo set and that's not the case for all of them. Some, like HH are identical to the earlier U.S. Mastering while others are not. It's a real hodgepodge.

Kind or the same issue that initially dogged the ZZ Top set.

I know that a Rhino will never do this (they've become the el cheapo label IMHO since being purchased) but I have suggested to them on many occasions to list what you are getting vs. just dumping them in a box as they actually might sell more copies (realistically, probably not enough to make a difference to a jumbo corp like them).

17. I think it's more a catalog issue myself. Catalog titles were once some of the biggest sellers and they aren't quite as much as before for some artists. They realize that the older titles that they have squeezed boomers and others over are just not selling like before and that interest in physical stuff will be more like a limited release type of thing for awhile (somewhat like vinyl although with little to none of the hipster element that comes into play. That's ok by me....)

Well I'm not surprised. At least they are honest about it. For some they have stated they didn't know.

I have to give Sony credit. At least they give you the bonus tracks on the regular expanded, remastered editions. Unlike, say, the weird The Replacement boxed set.

18. eelkiller

I was referring to the Japan Mini LP discs. Te words pervious masterings meant anything prior to box release.

Who knows what they will use for the Cooper set, it is possible they grab the Japan versions again.

19. Typically Rhino has not done this unlike Sony.

20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

this and others says it all folks......a throwaway issue with nothing for the old fans.
    bum on them for this kind of **** release.......
    the beave

21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

And you my friend are the problem with this kind of release.
    the beave

22. eelkiller

:wtf: Did you read what he said, he is missing numerous titles. I can guarantee people will buy this when they own every note on the discs.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  23. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Likewise I'll be buying this as it's a nice easy way to pick up the early catalogue of which I only have from Love It To Death thru Muscle Of Love :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. moops

moops Senior Member

I'm all ears Beave, your insights should be fascinating .......
    the moops

25. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

Any more info on this? I want it but I want it to be good. Its available for as low as £45. Nice price, perhaps too nice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.