The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In the "1968 Mystery Reels" there is a set from circa summer 68 with an interesting early Stephen with only Garcia on vocals, and without the segue to The Eleven. It is part of the "return the scratcher" set at the end of disc 4 here: http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=145667

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Damn, Scarlet begonias is wild from Chicago man

John Bonham likes this.
  3. I watched a bunch of Fare Thee Well videos on YouTube this morning:
    Foolish Heart soundcheck,
    //Help > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower,
    Scarlet Begonias,
    Standing on the Moon,
    The Wheel and Crazy Fingers,
    Stranger,
    Morning Dew,
    Bertha

I was very skeptical about these shows, but after listening to the stream of Chicago night #1, I am headed to the cinema tonight(7/5) for the simulcast.

4. budwhite

I was reading about Bill Walton's 855+ shows and I wonder how many dead shows you guys went to?

I followed Springsteen from city to city and country to country for a while, great fun.
    To young for the dead I'm afraid

5. I saw The bona fide Grateful Dead 60+ times, probably saw a dozen Jerry Garcia Band shows.
    I was born in 1973, so I got on the bus very late (1989).

US Blues, warewolf95 and budwhite like this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Plus or minus a few from 70. I was not the best record keeper in those days. I looked recently and I have 1 ticket stub left. I had a box with a bunch of cool stuff including all my GD Productions tickets but alas I think some sticky fingers made off with it. The one ticket that is left must have been known what was up and booked it.

[​IMG]

US Blues, warewolf95 and budwhite like this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. budwhite

I was born in 83, and on the wrong continent for the dead.... bummer :laugh:

9. budwhite

I'm groovin to Bertha@Chicago :pineapple:

****ing A! I got the vibes from this one. The Treyful dead

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

First Dead show 3/9/81. MSG. The tender age 0f 16 !

11. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Those were my first GD shows and we all just called it a jam so I stick with it, but yes you are correct that for years it has been called "Happiness Is Drumming" and as far as Not Fade Away goes it is not on my old tape and I have no real memory of that as an encore so now I have more of my past revealed to me...

I asked an older Head before the shows "what should I take for these shows?" His answer " Take as much 25 as you can handle and then take some more" I followed his instructions to a tee and then some!

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I saw 246 "bona fide" GD shows, or 247 counting the 1994 Phil & Friends show at Berkeley Community Theater which was the GD without drummers, which I usually count. 50 JGB/Garcia-Grisman shows. I started at the age of 16 in '87 (28 years ago yesterday), but when I get into something I get really into it..

bzfgt, John Bonham, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Finally managed to finish the storming 12/31/79.

That was a fantastic show, almost as perpetually awesome as the 5/22/77 show I was raving about earlier. Some of the playing, particularly Jerry, was rather sloppy/uninspired seeming in parts, but there was an overall explosive energy like a train running down the tracks full steam ahead.

I highly reccommend it to anyone who has not heard it.

On now to 3/24/90, the main show for Dozin' at the Knick. Let The Good Times Roll takes us into the '90s.....

:)

budwhite likes this.
  14. warewolf95

3/24/90 - Albany

The Help>Slipknot was rather average at best, but the following Franklin was absolutely smoking. Tons of enthusiasm and energy. Defintiely a keeper. Now on to Walkin' Blues and some actually competent slide playing! That's a surprise! :)

15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Just wait until you hit Loser....

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. warewolf95

I'm not sure if you mean to say that Loser is awesome or that is is ruined by slide. :)

I'm still shocked that this Walkin' Blues is so great. I normally can't stand this song.

Jason Tenney likes this.
  17. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Best Loser ever. I was there. GREAT show.

18. rockinlazys

Starting on 6/26/76 at the age of 14 to 8/23/87 I saw 400 Grateful Dead shows. From there I was becoming a grumpy Head and thought my space was better served by letting someone who would enjoy the music and scene have my spot. I still went to about a dozen a year from there to catch up with people I cared about beyond folks that had become family and part of my everyday life. Finally stepped off the bus in late 1993. So in all about 470 GD shows. Side projects is another couple hundred until my now wife talked me into Phil's 60th( two Phil shows this and 1994 BCT, no Dead, Other Ones, Further,etc. not my bag) and I HAD to leave during Terrapin and that is all she wrote...

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  19. warewolf95

Serious question - how do all you people afford to go to so many shows and how are you so lucky to be in the areas that they played? (assuming you aren't in NYC, LA, etc.)

You must've done some serious traveling to see that many shows. How did you afford to do so? Didn't you have a job, etc?

20. warewolf95

Wow, this is a fantastic Loser. I'm not the biggest fan of this song, but I'm loving it at this show and Jerry's vocals were NAILED. :)

Jason Tenney and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I lived in the NYC area, Rhode Island for college, and then Oregon and California. I was in high school, college, and then out of college for a couple years before Garcia died. I travelled a lot, but given those locations, there were a fair number of shows every year within a 2-3 hour drive. I funded my travels by selling t-shirts, bumper stickers, and food. Sometimes I was scraping by, but with a few good days at stadium shows with lax vending policies (Soldier's Field was the MVP in this department), I could make enough to get through a low-paying internship or make a down payment on rent until the next tour.

bzfgt, nitsuj, budwhite and 1 other person like this.
  22. warewolf95

3/24/90 - Albany

Set two just started and I have myself an upcoming PITB>UJB>Terrapin fiesta. :)

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Just won sunshine daydream from ebay

24. warewolf95

[​IMG]

notesofachord and Jason Tenney like this.
  25. rockinlazys

Plains, Trains, Automobiles, Buses, My thumb... Grew up in KC, great central location if you do not mind the road. A lot of traveling and then in early 80's moved to Berkeley , but kept up out of state ( and Fall '81 Europe ) shows for many years. I did not finish High School and some Rock and Roll Band were part of my schooling. To this day my parents are not overly fond of the GD but are at least understanding that everyone has there own path.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.