Do you ever find yourself satisfied with your system/s?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I took out a large bookcase and it made a nice difference with one speaker.

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

There was a time when I was never satisfied. I stopped being an idiot and learned to love the system that I currently have. I have saved a lot of money as a result.

SandAndGlass, The FRiNgE, mwb and 5 others like this.
  3. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

At some point you have to stop tweaking and enjoy the music. That's why we all have nice systems. It's not to constantly tweak them. I have tried to stay in pure listening mode and it is much more enjoyable sitting in the music room not thinking about the next possible tweak and focusing on what I might play today.

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's pretty much my take. I have stereo gear so I can listen to music in a way that's pleasing to me. Audio gear is not my hobby, listening to music is.

wgriel likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes...it's what I can afford.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Everyday.

7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I'm very happy with my stereo, which probably means something will break soon, but no upgrade plans for at least a few years.

8. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I am very happy with my system although there is a little voice telling me if I look around there is always something available "out there" to make it just that much better.

9. Close. Very close. But I've found that maneuvering through the deluge of different mastering types for digital/CDs is the contributing factor to my incessant need to tweak rather than dissatisfaction with my gear.

apesfan likes this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm always pretty happy with my stereo.

Oh, you mean happy enough that I stop looking at new gear? Nevermind.

11. I'm very happy with what I have, but that doesn't mean it'll stay the way it is.

Rolltide likes this.
  12. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

This is the happiest I've been with my stereo, and it's not even close to the most costly system I've owned.

It just works together to deliver a non-fatiguing sound that I can listen to for hours on end. Matching the room is key!

apesfan and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  13. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I like and really enjoy my stereo system. Just hope it never crashes - the power of positive thinking.

14. JonP

JonP Active Member

Not really satisfied here. I simply cannot afford the calibre of equipment that my critical ears require and never will be able to. So instead I get enjoyment reading about it, admiring other people's systems and trying to focus on collecting as many good quality recordings as possible.

15. james

james Summon The Queen

My Yamaha A-S2000 has been out for warranty for about a month now. They decided to just send me a new unit.

I worked from home all day to sign for the package and was excited to plug it back in.

Man, I am smitten.

Rolltide likes this.
  16. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

Absolutely, although I dismantled both systems a few weeks ago and put them in storage because my house is about to hit the market.

17. timind

timind phorum rezident

Now that's gotta hurt. I remember having to do that a few years ago.

18. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I must be a bit schizo.... Some days I love it, some days, meh. For the most part, it's speaker envy.

19. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

Love it! Whenever I think about an upgrade I consider that it may be a mentally ill thought.

riddlemay likes this.
  20. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Good pressing ...love it.
    Not so good pressing....get restless.
    Even though I know it's the damn record.

riddlemay likes this.
  21. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I am quite finished with my system

22. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I've actually been reappraising my system recently. I always try to get the best components I can get for my budget, but my budget is never big enough to get the "best" components. That being said, I think I've found some reasonably good gear at prices that wouldn't jeopardize my rent or life savings. Recently my receiver broke (HDMI switch on my Onkyo, a common problem with their receivers, this is a home theater receiver and I run a preamp to it from my turntable), and my NAS (which I was using as my music server) broke, and so I've been listening to more vinyl. And I decided my speakers simply weren't up to snuff. I got a 5.1 JBL system years ago that a sound engineer friend of mine recommended as good for home theater audio. Well, it is good for home theater audio but it's not great for music. My records feel thin and don't have much oomph, not a problem when listening to headphones.

So in the space of two weeks, I'm suddenly looking at replacing my speakers, my receiver, and my NAS. I actually just ordered a new NAS tonight, luckily I've already got the hard drives to put in it, but even so, that put my receiver purchase off by at least a month. And in the meantime I'm looking at speakers and I want something really good, something really special. I'm thinking something vintage might be the way to go in terms of getting a deal, finding them used and maybe fixing them up. Anyway, having to replace all these components in such a short span of time got me thinking about my listening habits. This was compounded by the free trial of Apple Music, which had me examining streaming in ways I hadn't before. I ended up doing a lot of A/B and ABX tests and discovered that I can discern the difference between lossless and lossy music at a rate no better than chance.

The result of all of this is that it made me think about what my standards really were, and I decided that "good enough" was good enough for me. I want to get some excellent speakers at a reasonable price, and once I get that and a new receiver, I'll likely be done for a long time. In fact, I think the only thing I would upgrade would be the receiver and that's only if some new home video standard came out, not for any specific audio purposes.

I would love at some point in the future to have a totally separate audio setup from my home theater, and maybe when I hit retirement I'll have the time and money to make that a reality. But as it is, I'll be quite happy with the setup I've planned out.

james likes this.
  23. mwb

mwb Active Member

My system is very rudimentary, and I've learned to enjoy it for what it is. I have room limitations that make me think that buying a dream set of speakers or amp would be a waste of money. Plus I'm really trying to focus on getting to early retirement, and spending $$ upgrading stereo gear that is already relatively pleasing to me doesn't fit into that plan.

24. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Very happy with my systems...

25. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Yes I'm very happy with each of my systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.