Former DEEP PURPLE/RAINBOW Guitarist RITCHIE BLACKMORE: 'I'm Thinking About Playing Rock Again'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SonOfAlerik, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, this all that I meant. I'm not *dissing* Blackers as asking legitimate questions and hoping the project is worthy of a man of his talents.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

Glenn Hughes would be an ideal candidate.
    The vocals and bass would be covered; and then it's merely finding a drummer and keyboardist. If handled (and timed) properly, perhaps, Ian Paice and Don Airey would do it.

slipkid likes this.
  3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Actually, I think Ritchie gets plenty of respect. He's rightly regarded as one of the finest guitar players of the rock era. It's just that we've seen these kinds of false starts and rumors over and over again, going on decades now. It doesn't matter much if it came from the horse's mouth as opposed to a press blip started by Joe Lynn Turner. Blackmore's not getting any younger. If he wants to play rock again, I'll be the first kid on the block to buy tickets. But there are a lot of "I'm thinking about", "I'm not decided on", "might be interested" type of phrases in that interview you linked. As the saying goes, either **** or get off the pot. IMO, of course.

4. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

It would be good to see him do it again if he really wants to. From what I have read it is just a case of signing contracts and picking venues now.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

And then there's...
    Robert Fripp
    Jeff Beck

That's just crazy enough to work.

Dunno about Page though; he seldom shows up for work anymore. I'd try to work a crazed keyboardist into that rocking teenage combo.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

But Joe can still really sing AFAIK. I have some fairly recent AOR stuff he's done and man, he's singing his ass off. I would be up for that if they did some recording together - I know everybody loves the classic DP and Dio era Rainbow (I do too) but those ships sailed eons ago.

But now that I'm typing didn't Joe just say some stupid **** about Ritchie and/or his wife?

dkmonroe and GodShifter like this.
  7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

As Ronnie James Dio and Jon Lord both remain dead, my interest in seeing Ritchie Blackmore's return to rock is minimal.

showtaper likes this.
  8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Don't let the wig fool you.
    It'd be amusing if he got both Hughes and Coverdale on board and called the band Deeper Purple, or somesuch.

slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  9. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

That would be way cool but would never happen. As great and influential as he is ,I never got the impression that Blackmore endeared himself to his peers .. Would love to see who is on his list of guests. Can you picture Candice singing Fireball? ;)

GodShifter, jon9091 and reb like this.
  10. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

My take: I would think a Tokyo showcase, much like Michael Schenker's gigs, with some serious hired guns like Simon Phillips, Neil Murray, and Don Airey as the core band, with a vocalist along the lines of Keith St. John or even Doogie (who still sounds good), to take the Schenker comparison to its logical conclusion...

slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  11. why page sucks

Carserguev likes this.
  12. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hope at least one of the shows is filmed in full in HD.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

About damn time!

jon9091 likes this.
  14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Probably bring his own KY too.

15. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Since Ritchie didn't like the direction Purple was heading with Hughes I can't see him going that route. Coverdale's voice hasn't held up. I would like to see Paul Rodgers who was one of Ritchie's choices when Gillan left Purple the first time. I don't see why Paul would want to do it though. He may be able to get a few surprise stars if it is only for a few shows but I don't know why he would want to do it to play only a couple shows.

GodShifter, dlokazip and jon9091 like this.
  16. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Wonder if he'll still attack a roadie at 70?

17. davers

davers Forum Resident

I'd actually dig this! I'm much more of a casual Deep Purple fan then most here, and would go for any combo that could crank out catchy, heavy rock. I just saw Coverdale on the current Whitesnake tour and the guy is still really good, and fun to watch! He effortlessly rocked the cool 70s frontman look that Plant has been trying to recapture for the past 25 years (no offense to Plant as he was one of the creators...I just don't think he pulls the look off anymore).

DJ LX likes this.
  18. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

No offense, but Robert Plant is NOT trying to "recapture" that look whatsoever. If he was, he could sign off on a Zeppelin tour in a second and make gizzilions. In fact, he is the antithesis of this, and Coverdale is touring with Whitesnake playing songs he did with Deep Purple in the 70's. I think you have it backwards!

Malina, Murph, GodShifter and 2 others like this.
  19. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yep I forgot exactly what Joe said but it was pretty dumb of him to say anything negative about Ritchies wife Candice.

20. davers

davers Forum Resident

Actually I meant it more literally. Nitpicky I know, but I much prefer Plant's post-Zep short hair look that he had going for awhile. Before the golden locks came back.

Sorry for the sidetrack...back to the Blackmore story!

21. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Thinking about is not the same as doing it.

I'll wait and see.

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Regardless of what "famous people" he may be thinking about recruiting, I think he will be selecting an unknown singer. Anyone expecting a reunion with a previous Deep Purple/Rainbow singer will likely be disappointed. I just hope that he finds someone who can do the job well.

It's hard to know what Ritchie has up his sleeve. I think by "famous people", he may be talking about people that he's never played with. I certainly don't believe that any Purple members will be involved. As far as Rainbow, I'd love for Tony Carey or Bob Daisley to be in the mix, but that may be too much to ask. Just keep Paul Morris away from the project.

Murph, gklainer and GodShifter like this.
  23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I didn't say it didn't interest me, I did imply that it is a boring subject. Which it is.
    The dude has had decades to return to the rock era thing, and has obviously been content not to.
    Now it is simply too late. Music has moved on to other things. People from rock are either old or dead. His fan base are grandparents now.
    The best he would do is put out an album that most of the sales would be to die hard DP fans. I doubt he would get well promoted and even if he did would as likely as not get ignored.

24. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The article I read said that he was considering Joe Turner or something like that, someone he apparently worked with in the past, if I remember correctly.

25. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Nah, the Purple/Rainbow money must have run out and the cash from playing that silly minstrel crap isn't running in..

Carserguev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.