Which album have you given the most chances but still ended up disliking?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

You hvae a quote on that?
    Have you ever heard anything from 1966-1970?

2. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

He told me that himself. Good enough?

3. 905

905 Senior Member

It took 37 years before I loved Astral Weeks. It happens or it doesn't.

4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I think all those three are better than BB too. However miles runs the voodoo down.... Now that is special

Gavinyl and Robin L like this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Believe I've got a live recording of that Jam in so-so sound on a Sony issue.

It's Felix likes this.
  6. squittolo

squittolo Forum Resident

Live Bullet by Bob Seeger & The Silver Bullet Band.

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Was Animals a big hit when it came out? There isn't a lot of love for that album nowadays, and I don't hear people mention it when recalling the "classics" like they do Dark Side, Wish, The Wall, and to a much smaller extent Meddle.

8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I don't find that so odd. BB is often going in several keys at once due to the keyboard players. It's a great deal more polytonal, or atonal, than the other albums. JJ is as close Miles ever got to rock music, and Agartha and Pangaea have extended guitar and sax solos in stated keys and most tunes have a 'head' melody.

Gavinyl and Robin L like this.
  9. Say

Say Forum Resident

I think Animals was a major event too. Floating pigs during the concert as well. The thing is that the songs are so long that it wasn't radio friendly.
    Interesting tidbit with middle years Pink Floyd (and Animals reminded me of it) are sound effects. Starting with Meddle up to the Wall we have; snippets of a dog, sonar, cash registers, bells, clock alarms, an elevator/machine, pig, sheep, helicopter, and telephone, etc).

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Nick Lowe "Party Of One". Lowe is great, but the whole thing just sounds so stiff and contrived to me. This album has no feeling, no soul.

Fullbug likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I wasn't into the Floyd in the 70s so I don't know how it went down with fans, but it sold! 4X platinum in the US and it peaked at #2 in the charts.

It's a "commercial disappointment" compared to the other albums of that era but it's not like it bombed...

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I keep listening to this but still don't like it that much. I usually listen to it every week.

[​IMG]

Sean likes this.
  13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Hopefully that means Astral Weeks will kick in for me in another 10 years. I first heard it around 1989-90-ish and I still just don't get it!

14. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

I understand Lps. But I find it difficult to understand how anyone with even a passing interest in rock could dislike every Jethro Tull or Led Zeppelin song. Not even "Hot Dog"? Sheesh!

15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Three words: Trout Mask Replica. I like about three tracks on it.

16. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

Dark Side of the Moon

Blasphemy I know, but it is what it is........

17. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine. Still play it once in a blue moon but just don't like it.

18. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Quite a few for Astral Weeks.

I agree. Sounded like a hastily slapped together album of two-chord throwaways to set the stage for the greats - Moondance, Tupelo, Hard Nose and Dominic's.

19. Anything by The Grateful Dead.

20. Mr. Tambourine Man

Mr. Tambourine Man Forum Resident

Basement Tapes. I don't dislike it a lot but it is one of Bob Dylan's lowpoints I think. Maybe just because of the poorly recorded sound, because Bob Dylan and the Band weren't planning to release it. They only did it because of people were illegally getting the tapes before it was released, so they made it official, just like most of the Bootleg Series.

21. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Storm Corrosion, what a waste of talent!

22. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

David Bowie The Next Day. After multiple plays and I really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me.
    Jeff Beck Beck Ola. Bought and off-loaded in the 1970s. Likewise in the 2000s. There's nothing about the music that appeals to me.

23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I didn't realize it was actually that popular. Thanks for informing me! I only got into the band in September of 2013, so I don't know a ton about exactly what went on in their heyday. Animals is, without a doubt, my favorite album from them. Ironically, my second favorite is The Final Cut, meaning that my least favorite Floyd album is surrounded by my two favorites.

I would say that (well, nowadays, anyway) Animals is their most overlooked album, but that honor most definitely goes to Obscured By Clouds. Such a shame that so few people pay attention to that album. The first two tracks and the last one are kind of boring and weak, but tracks 3-9 are some of the best music ever committed to record, in my humble opinion. But hey, I'm here to talk about how much I think The Wall fails to deliver. Man, what a bringdown.

24. robbieplatter

robbieplatter Forum Resident

'Lite Me Up' by Herbie Hancock. Makes me physically ill every time, but I still keep giving it a try every now and then.

Anything by The Grateful Dead. Good lord, I can't stand it.

25. KN65

KN65 Well-Known Member

I could not have stated this better myself. I agree 99.9% with this quote (BB's are my all time favorite; I love SMiLE, Wild Honey, etc.; 1967 was one hellova year for "deep" music, etc, etc) but.....Smiley Smile just doesn't work for me. And I've tried many times over to like it. Just can't get into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.