Fare Thee Well - Show #5 - Chicago, July 5 - Live Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claxton, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

They blew the big one, no doubt about it, your points are on point. For those of us who were full on there for all five nights in any combination of live or feeds, well I can only speak for myself I suppose, but I'd like to think we can forgive tonight.

They did what they did and it took 3-5 nights to see it. It never manifested itself in one consistent streak.

I am not calling out your, or anyone else's, considerable Dead or music analytical and criticism skills, far from it; I would however highlight for anyone tuning in for the first time this Fare Thee Well that one night does not a successful run make. But maybe I am getting "seen all nights" possessive; I assure you that is not ego, just protectiveness. Cheers and thanks in advance for considering.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Archtop and Stone Turntable like this.
  2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Hard to compare this band to the one that played a hundred shows together every year for thirty years...mostly noticeable in the transitions and not being able to choose songs on the fly. As much as I loved these shows, it's a shame they couldn't have done a full tour or two to really get it together.

ronbow likes this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not a lot of complements to Bob Weir. Nothing to complain about there?

Archtop likes this.

4. As one who did not see or hear any of the "Dead" farewell, I am very interested to see how readers here view the attached review and comments.

(As a 70's Dead Devotee and lifelong fan, especially Jerry, I chose to listen to my favorite live cuts while reading this informative, entertainining and passionate blog. thanks.)

Grateful Dead pays slack tribute to legacy

Los Angeles Times-3 hours ago
    It began Friday as it ended in 1995, with one of the most beautiful songs in the Grateful Dead canon. "Box of Rain" was the final song performed ...

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i read. the fact the person refers to hornsby as a newcomer, or at least it comes off that way, shows they know nothing about the dead

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have full confidence Jeffrey Norman will make those tapes sound even better.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

His singing was pretty bad, especially when he tried to sing Jerry tunes. But Phil's was even worse, so that kind of let Bob off the hook. Odd to me that the best singer on the stage (Hornsby) barely got any lead vocals, especially on tunes he'd sung often (and well) in his solo gigs. Also, I know they were trying to keep it as much like old Dead shows as possible, but I really think adding someone like Joan Osborne as a harmony singer would've helped immensely for those big harmony bits in "Touch Of Grey," "I know You Rider," etc. Obviously no one is listening to the Dead for their vocal prowess, but i was pretty surprised at the division of labor there (granted, tonight's was the only show of the run I watched).

I've been thinking this during the whole runup...any good musicians can play those tunes, but the magic takes so many dozens of shows to really develop. Vocals aside, this would be an amazing band if they played regularly.

bmoregnr likes this.
  8. You may disagree with the review, certainly, but it does say Hornsby played with the band in the past.

.......but wait! There's more........read on and see this in the article:

Hornsby, who played with the band in the early '90s -- and a new chemistry must be created, and that's something that can't happen over a couple of shows or a few weeks of rehearsals.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They didn't like the second set at all.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Eh, well what do you want to know specifically. Look, obviously I write hacky stuff so I know of what I speak; lucky for the world the LA Times does not publish me. F off poser is my general response but I give him credit for Googling harmolodics.

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

By the way something, I restarted the show and four songs into it again I love it much more this time. That was like my team in the World Superbowl Cup Final Championship Seventh Game... I was not going to enjoy it until I knew the outcome.

12. OK, it's over and everyone has their feelings, thoughts and memories of this "farewell."

I am very curious how reactions will be as time moves forward. I grieved the end of The Dead when Jerry passed. I admired the remaining members musicianship and legacy preservation over the years.
    But I wonder, if any of the supporting musicians and collaborators of the Dead over the years were considered for a role in the farewell?

When Chicago was announced as the last stop due to their last show there, blah, blah, my thought was:
    "Tragedy struck the Dead after that last show, Jerry died, why go back to that sad vibe? was Chicago Dead noteworthy over the years for any other reason?
    Ending it all in the Bay Area makes the most sense, No?

To make a road trip to avail other fans, why not where they had legendary show after show - like in NY, Philly, Boston?

OK, they added Santa Clara, OK compromise, but it would have been better to start elsewhere - even Chicago- but finish it in the Bay Area. Those last shows should have been here.
    The Dead always fed off the audiance, a better ending would have been guaranteed in the SF area.

Anybody else feel that way at all?

rockinlazys, Mazzy and macdaddysinfo like this.
  13. Thanks, I'll mark that as a "disagree" with the review. LOL

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This is my big takeaway. It has been said and reinforced a few other times but it is a borderline sin that the capabilities these guys showed will be shelved. I know it is best to say no more, but especially during the 3rd and 4th I said to anyone who would listen, damn what could be but for six months of touring. Oh well, bow out leaving them wanting more always seems best.

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, I just got back from Soldier Field and I'm sure you guys have already dissected the show in detail. But yeah, it was basically the logical continuation to the previous four shows, with no real surprises or special features (aside from the commemorative slide show accompanying "Attics of My Life"). So, no bells and whistles - just a good collection of songs and jams, many of which were excepted. And maybe this was also the right way to go: making the five shows of a piece, without any of them standing out over the others, in terms of execution and/or content.

A couple of quick points/reflections:

- "Built to Last" was an unexpected highlight, synchronised to some lovely 67-78 footage on the screens.

- The only real misfire was "Mountains of the Moon". I love the song, but the arrangement was on the turgid side, and Phil's vocals didn't help - probably his worst of the whole run.

- Did you notice that Billy changed shirts between sets? Did someone out there in streaming land complain? :laugh:

- Good to see Mickey going all out on drums/space. I had actually felt a little bad for him, since his role has been somewhat marginalized in these shows, what with his reduced kit and not playing with sticks.

- It's interesting to note that Trey's presence and role has expanded over the course of the five shows. Remember, he only got one lead vocal on the first night in Santa Clara ("Cream Puff War). But for the last shows, he's had several. Hornsby's role and visibility, in contrast, has remained constant throughout the whole run, averaging one or two leads per night. Seems like an implicit vote of confidence for Trey.

- Most notable omissions: "Sugaree" and "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad".

Well, that's all for now... Certainly grateful to have been able to attend at least one of these shows.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    bmoregnr likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think taking this out on the road might further show off the energy that they don't quite have anymore.

They are in their 70s as has been noted. The late 80s energy is not coming back no matter how many rehearsals and grueling nights of touring they put themselves through.

O Don Piano and bmoregnr like this.
  17. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Greg Kot is a blowhard who prefers alternative music and prides himself on being more clever than veracious. I wouldn't take anything he says about the Grateful Dead seriously. I doubt he ever followed the band nor does it sound like from his review he saw anything more this weekend than the Friday night show. He's paid by the Chicago Tribune to go see concerts and I'll bet every Dead show he's seen is because of his job. Thus, he doesn't get it.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Is there a list someone has of every song played on the 5 night run? I didn't see every set list.

Was Ramble on Rose performed? Must have been.

19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yeah I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. Chicago was the middle of the country. Ok they f'd up the snail mail order system; dumb hippies. Santa Clara was electronic lottery and I should complain I got shut out... they pivoted promotion wise and music wise. They served the legacy. Shapiro should rest easy; any true head with mid-shelf funding could have been in the house if they wanted. The shows were a blast from most any physical or virtual seat. Again I am getting protective... trust me this was done right.

PS mountains>throwing is plenty better the second time.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like the "Ticket to NYE" era which I have the laser disc. Hard to believe that the performance is over 30 years old. But both Jerry and Bob still have strong singing voices there. Filmed on their home turf too.

21. Thanks for the background, there's a lot of truth to the part about "getting it" or not.

Without getting it - a decent review is impossible, though one can get it - but have valid criticsm, if warranted.
    There were several posters tonight who had criticisms that seemed to know and get the Dead.

O Don Piano likes this.
  22. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

[​IMG]

glewes, JRM and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thank you. I guess Ramble on Rose is so associated with Jerry's vocals that perhaps it was best not to have Bob or Phil croak through it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

i'm really hoping the 2 cd highlighs set of chicago includes most of these
    ripple
    golden road
    shakedown street
    built to last
    days between- not fade away

25. Matthew Tate

they did several songs though that i thought couldn't be done without jerry though. "deal", "touch of grey", "row jimmy", "morning dew" and "wharf rat"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.