Disappointing Musical Collaborations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love how Bjork's vocals completely overpower Harvey's. Lol

kingrommel likes this.
  2. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

I really wanted to like "The Sporting Life" by Diamanda Galás and John Paul Jones, but it's only good rather than great. So far, she's best served straight up.

3. DirkMcQ

DirkMcQ Forum Resident

Lennon & Ono

kingrommel likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd have to say Richard Thompson/Jeff Tweedy, not because it's a bad album (definitely isn't), but because Tweedy leaves absolutely no mark on it. Sounds like a Joe Boyd production from 30 years ago.

5. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

I remember this when it was aired - I love Bjork, but i was slowly sinking down in my sofa when this was shown...:sweating:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  6. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson- Get It. That's a great period Stevie Wonder song, it's fun--but I think Michael Jackson didn't "get it" and over sang it. If Wonder had sung the song by himself, it would have been much better.

Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder- Just Good Friends- This is a Graham Lyle/Terry Britten song and really why are these two even singing it? Oddly enough, Michael Jackson was better at this and Wonder sounded odd.

Alan1074 likes this.
  7. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I am probably stepping on some listeners' toes with this one, and I'm certainly greedy to bring it up in this thread, but "Duke Ellington and John Coltrane" was a bit of a letdown to me. I'm a great fan of both, and was expecting something incredible when I finally got a copy of it. I really liked "Money Jungle", the collaboration among Ellington, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach. And, unlike "Money Jungle", on which Ellington and Mingus reportedly constantly clashed while recording, I had heard that Ellington and Coltrane got along great. Great! But--that was the problem. The album is best described in the (five star) review on AllMusic as "a casual, respectful, and musically generous meeting of like-minded souls". It's excellent jazz, but I was hoping for something jaw-dropping. (Again, I know that's just greedy on my part--I almost feel like I have to apologize for posting it here.)

8. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I didn't mind Get It, but Just a Good Friends wasn't really suited to the Bad album at all. It was my 'skipper' and I'm sure other tracks left at demo stage would have been better.

Possibly the worst of all time though is Bowie & Jagger Dancing In The Street. What a monstrosity.

zebop likes this.
  9. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

If you want to hear an awful duet, check out what June Carter does, with Johnny Cash, on Chris Gantry's Allegheny. She sounds like a cat in its death throes.

10. Robertazimmerman

Robertazimmerman Member

This probably doesn't count, but seeing Brian Wilson in concert with Jeff Beck just didn't work for me.

11. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That "Dancing In the Street" thing was awful. There was a thread about what happened to change the music in the '80s---it was that song and video :)

12. Django

Django Forum Resident

most of them........

13. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

14. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Beat me by 2 minutes!

I had the link all set to go and everything. :(

15. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

GMTA, Muddy! :wave:

Interesting how so many of these are from the 80's, such as:
    Mick Jagger and David Bowie - "Dancing in the Street" (I think we may have a "winner" here!) :hurl:
    Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder - "Ebony & Ivory" (but then I remember this, which probably takes the cake!)
    Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson - "The Girl is Mine" (would've preferred "Say Say Say" being on "Thriller")
    David Bowie and Tina Turner - "Tonight" (Tina's superior "It's Only Love" duet with Bryan Adams smokes this)
    David Bowie and Iggy Pop - "Dancing With the Big Boys" (these guys were much better in the 70's)
    Dylan and the Dead - the entire album was "disappointing" (to say the least!)

16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

To OP, I strongly disagree about Ebony and Ivory, Say Say, The Man, and The Girl Is Mine.

You take the british king of pop and the american king of pop and put them together (Stevie aside), and what did you expect, Mozart?

Say Say Say and The Girl Is Mine are two perfect pop songs if you ask me and despite the slight cringiness of Ebony and Ivory (racial overtones, etc.), it's just as great.

Not to beat on OP, just had to politely inform him his opinion is wrong. :D

17. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Tonight was definitely another of Bowie's weaker efforts. That was the best he could do with Tina Turner?

18. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Naaahhh, all of these are pretty much chopped liver.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

Paul Weller & Terry Callier: Brother to Brother.
    They're two of my favourite artists, but this was kinda disappointing. I like the song concept about racial unity, but honestly, I think that song was not up to any of these artists' standards. A missing opportunity.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Prince and Kate Bush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.