Will Taylor Swift's "1989" be the Next "Teenage Dream"? (5 number one hits?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Could Swift's blockbuster be just the third album, following smashes by Michael Jackson and Katy Perry, to yield five Hot 100 No. 1s? Or ... more?

As Taylor Swift just scored her third Billboard Hot 100 No. 1, "Bad Blood," from her 11-week Billboard 200-topper 1989, it's got me wondering about the set's place historically. Specifically, could the album become the next Teenage Dream?

Katy Perry's 2010 album Teenage Dream famously produced five Hot 100 No. 1s, tying Michael Jackson's Bad for the most leaders from one album. Perry's "California Gurls" stayed on top for six weeks, followed by the title track (two), "Firework" (four), "E.T." (five) and "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" (two). (The deluxe Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection contains another No. 1, "Part of Me," but since it's not on the original album, it's not generally considered a sixth No. 1 from it.)

Back to Taylor: her "Shake It Off" spent four weeks at No. 1 and "Blank Space" led for seven, prior to "Blood." Could she lead (at least) two more times from 1989? Let's remember that it will likely take a long time until her next album will be released: she's always waited two years in between releases. Her first was in 2006 and since, she's offered new studio albums in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014. So, maybe October/November 2016 will bring her next one. In other words, she probably still has a long span in which to release singles from 1989. In my opinion, great picks for No. 1s from it could be "All You Had to Do Was Stay," "Out of the Woods," "New Romantics" or "Wonderland."

Do you believe that 1989 has enough to offer to become the next Teenage Dream? Or, could it even become bigger and generate a record six Hot 100 No. 1s?
    @Thom @Bobby Morrow @SITKOL'76 @Marko L. @chervokas
    @Glenpwood @driverdrummer @PaulKTF @mfp @sunspot42

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...-is-taylor-swifts-1989-the-next-teenage-dream

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I'm sure that's the goal. Don't Taylor and Katy have a 'rivalry'?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

Legend has it that"Bad Blood" was written with Katy in mind. ;)

Thom likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Aha, drama! Manufactured by publicists and the media, I'm sure, but... drama. :cool:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

Another Madonna vs. Cyndi? :) One career will proceed forward & evolve and the other....:evil:

driverdrummer and Thom like this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Yep, Taylor can't do that!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Katy is more talented than her sex sells persona leads you to believe. Taylor is just annoying, and I don't know if I've heard a single song off her 1989 album.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

Katy for the win! ;)
    Katy had 15 writers on that album. :sigh: Sheesh. Still love it!

10. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Katy was able to hold John Mayer's attention for nearly a year, Taylor was barely a one night stand. Enough said. :D

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuest

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't know if 1989 will generate 5 or 6 number ones... That said, the album has been huge. Barely out of the top 5 in the 8 months it's been released. I'd wager 1989 has outsold Teenage Dream. Even at this stage.

13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Worldwide Sales
    Teenage Dream - 5.7 million
    1989 - 8.6 million

So say us all, according to the gospel of wiki.

14. Bobby Morrow

Thought so.

I don't remember Teenage Dream hanging around the top end of the charts anywhere near as long as 1989. Weird that TD's big singles didn't really 'sell' the album, though it's by no means a flop.:D

15. JohnnyQuest

They didn't sell the album but they sold the singles. Which is most important nowadays. :sigh:

16. Bobby Morrow

I don't think that's true. The album has always been the main thing.

17. JohnnyQuest

Not anymore Bobby. My nephews and nieces only buy/download singles and whichever songs they like in the album but rarely the whole thing.

ARK likes this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, Taylor's third single, Style, already missed the number one mark, so it would now take at least 6 singles to get five number ones, whereas Katy did it 5 for 5.

I have fond memories of Teenage Dreams, propelled in part by winning tickets to see Katy at the Roseland Ballroom, back when the album only had 2 or 3 number 1's. I was gonna see her again for the big tour in 2011, but I got a job working overnights, including Friday nights, which led to a frustrating scramble to resell a bunch of tickets for various concerts. Most had shows other nights/venues, but her show was one I couldn't make. I'm not much of a fan anymore. I think her best material was her radio stuff. I bought Prism, but I don't plan on buying anymore of her albums.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Rumour has it Taylor and Katy fell out over who was spending more time with Max Martin.:D

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuest

Why not? :sigh:
    He must be worth a fortune. I seriously can't wait to hear what Katy,Lady Gaga and Rihanna does next. Those three are taking forever to release their new projects.

21. Bobby Morrow

I take it you mean downloads? I'm sure they're important, but I still think the album sales are the ultimate goal.

Someone back me up on this. I know I'm old but surely things haven't changed that much.:D

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

I'm reading about "Prism" and apparently one of Katy's biggest influences was "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys. :rolleyes: Sure doesn't sound like it.

23. revolution_vanderbilt

It's hard to explain, but I feel like I bought into Katy Perry because of her image (being super-popular) and a bit out of obligation (having seen her in concert) mixed with a genuine love of many of her singles. Add in my insane collector's side (I spent a pretty penny on eBay to get her Katy Hudson album, although not too crazy a price, seeing as I lost the auction, but was offered it at my highest bid after the winner refused to pay) and basically I wasn't as into her as I thought. I could have just as easily bought all of Lily Allen's albums, or Lady Gaga's, and I'd feel the same way.

This isn't to say that I don't think they are good. But they just don't cut it for my taste, at least not enough that I'm gonna buy their albums. And as far as following their careers, I really don't. So I don't even feel like a real fan. And my personality is an "all-in" type, so if I'm gonna do it, I wanna do it all the way, or not at all.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

What do you rate that album? (1-10) How much did you end up spending?
    I know what you mean. I can't even stop at one album. I have to get everything in the catalog. (There are no other options.)
    You're already in this so you might as well continue. :) Was it "Prism" that turned you off? Her songs are ok but I'm more of a Rihanna type of listener.

25. revolution_vanderbilt

I'd rate the Katy Hudson album a solid 5. Not bad by any means, but nothing special either. Production was not too good. I just looked up how much I spent and it was $88! Boy, I could have done without remembering that. That could seriously be a contender for the most I spent on one CD. And to think the $44 I spent yesterday on a Michael Gibbs album knawed at me a bit. I wouldn't say Prism turned me off, so much as confirmed that I'm not into Katy's music or image as much as I tried to be. I almost feel you with the "You're already in this so you might as well continue" but I already use that excuse every time I buy a Ringo album. When it comes to female pop stars, I'll stick with the ones that I really and truly enjoy, without reservation: Taylor, Miley, Selena, and Demi.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.