Album Covers 45 - Discwasher's Revenge!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nostaljack, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast Thread Starter

Newly added:

The Temptations - "A Song For You" (front, back, sleeve, labels)

The Temptations - "Hear to Tempt You" (front, back, sleeves, labels, promo photos galore)

The Temptations - "Bare Back"* (front, back, sleeves, labels, promo photos)

Ed

* = This one was, like the others, on the old site but I fixed the back cover as it had many issues that I didn't have the knowledge to fix at the time. It's also far larger so you can read all the text.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The color will look somewhat different on every monitor and printing device, due to differences in calibration. That's why the industry has developed a set of color management standards for prepress and printing vendors:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specifications_for_Web_Offset_Publications

3. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Excellent site! Worth it just to see Pat Cooper! LOL

4. Nostaljack

Thanks for that! When I scan, I use the cover in front of me as my guide. That's how I got into trouble with the Raydio cover at first. It was waaaaay off due to sun damage and I didn't know it.

With Niecy, I looked at others too and, while I noticed she wasn't colored as much as she is on mine on some of them, I decided to just go with mine because the result I got was true to the color of mine and I do see it represented in other colors. I've also seen some that look like Grant's fantastic job. It was a toss-up, really... ;)

Ed

5. Nostaljack

Thanks so much for looking around in there! I saw that cover elsewhere on the 'net some time ago and just about died. I absolutely had to have that album. One quick trip to eBay and I had one...sealed! Never thought I'd find one factory sealed. I confess to not having heard it yet but the cover is just genius!

Ed

goodiesguy and Andrew like this.
  6. Nostaljack

Newly added:

The Temptations - "In A Mellow Mood" [U.S. and Korean Red press](front, back, and labels for both)

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/the-temptations-in-a-mellow-mood/

This was on the previous iteration of the site but I re-scanned all the U.S. parts. When you see the page, you'll know why I did it.

Ed

7. action pact

Again, your scans will likely look somewhat different on every monitor and printing device. Different original examples of the same LP cover could look different due to age and also due to being done in different press-runs. Press operators do fine-tune the color balances (hopefully using SWOP proofs for guidance), but it's not an exact science and color shifts from different runs are not uncommon.

In some instances (ie: "Meet the Beatles"), the cost-saving decision to switch from Pantone inks (which are pre-mixed blends of pigment that create specific colors) to less expensive CMYK process inks can occur, and that will affect the final reproduction.

But using the cover in front of you as a color guide is pretty much what we in the printing industry do - use a standardized proof for color guidance.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Nostaljack likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do notice that the software will produce some colors more accurately than others. BTW, as far as detail is concerned, I seem to be getting an incredible amount of it, even when it doesn't show up on the original in front of me. I am scanning at 600 d.p.i..

Nostaljack likes this.
  9. Nostaljack

Okay, I've just added a bunch of Temptations' albums:

House Party (front, back, labels)

Wings of Love (front, back, labels)

Do the Temptations (front, back, labels) [a personal favorite]

Reunion (front, back, labels, promo photo, promo materials galore)

The Battle of the Champions [w/ the Four Tops] (front, back, labels)

More are coming as they Tempts have released 263,842 albums...LOL!

Ed

Grant likes this.
  10. Nostaljack

I've done 600 dpi for some unrelated things but the album covers don't gain much by doing them at that resolution. I've settled on 300 dpi for everything on the site and I've been pleased. Doing them at 600 dpi just gives me more size to fight with and it takes longer to scan them.

Ed

11. Nostaljack

Truth! The Epson software didn't like "In A Mellow Mood" at all! It wouldn't render the color correctly. The software continually wanted to make it too purple. Drove me nuts! I spent 30 minutes last night making adjustments to it until it looked like the cover I was holding in my hands.

Ed

Grant likes this.
  12. Nostaljack

Grant likes this.
  13. Grant

I scanned the 45 sleeve of Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" with my Epson scanner, and the bluish colors just would not come out right. I tried in vain to fix it in Photoshop CS5 with no success. So, I had to just settle for an approximation.

Nostaljack likes this.
  14. Grant

Good that *someone* cares enough to preserve the original cover!

I have most of the songs on this album on CD in both mono and stereo, and I remember it from my childhood, but, I don't own it. I'll have to get it one of these days.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Nostaljack likes this.
  15. Nostaljack

I love this album dearly. It's amazing considering it's really just a collection of singles they released before they were successful. I can't believe they bombed! Great tunes! You need this album...

Ed

16. Grant

BTW, you missed some splotches in the upper-left hand corner.

17. Grant

Huh? The Singles didn't bomb.

18. Nostaljack

GAH! I'm thinking of the wrong album. I had "Meet" on the brain. LOL! I think working on "Temptin'" melted by brain. My bad.

Lemme go check it for the blotches so I can remove them. Thanks for catching them!

Ed

19. Nostaljack

Okay...

I fixed the cover by cloning out the minor splotches @Grant found. Glad they're gone. I want this one to be perfect so I'm glad he caught them. While doing it, I discovered that the back looked awful. The thing was grey. Clearly, I had worked so hard on the front cover that I wasn't capable of going further. After a bit of a break, I saw how bad it looked so I re-did it. Now, it looks exactly (color-wise) the way my physical copy looks.

LOL!

Ed

Grant likes this.
  20. Grant

For my personal copy of your cover, I whitened it up a tad. I figure something that old will have yellowed a bit.

21. action pact

It could be the scanner, software, or monitor that are out of whack - or all three! :)

Blue is an especially difficult color to reproduce correctly.

One potential benefit to scanning offset-printed images at very high resolution is preventing moire patterns caused by the screens in the printing.

22. Nostaljack

Yeah, I noticed...LOL! That took some time to do. Drove me nuts!

Ah! So that's another way to reduce the moire'ing I was getting. @Electric Warrior mentioned "bicubic sampling" and "discreening". I don't use the descreening anymore (image became too dull) but the bicubic sampling seemed to eliminate my issues in that department thus far. I'll try the next one at 600 and let everyone else be the judge. If it really does look better, I'll move forward at 600.

Ed

23. action pact

Here's another trick... if space allows, place the original on the scanner bed at a 45-degree angle.

24. Nostaljack

Really? What is the advantage of this?

Ed

25. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

600dpi sure captures the screen pattern quite well - which is necessary for descreening properly.
    Shrinking from 600dpi or 300dpi down to 1000x1000 doesn't make all that much difference in my opinion. 1000x1000 is so small (in comparison to the resolution of an LP cover) that moire is not an issue for me.
    I usually end up with something like this:

[​IMG]

goodiesguy and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.