True Detective Season Two*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I also hate the intro music, but I don't hate the season - so far.

2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

absolutely.

i actually hate farrell, but as of 2 episodes in to season 2 of true detective, i like him. a lot.

the second episode was bursting at the seams with plot and overwhelming to take in. i was actually a little confused.

it's my understanding that after the first two episodes, things start to flow better and get moving. i'm definitely sticking around.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Nobody laughs, cracks a smile, tells a joke.....everything is so darn deadly
    serious and autumnal.

4. Yeah, season one was a laff riot, what happened?

Actually, I finally caught up with episode 2 today on demand, and I must say, WTF? :shrug:

5. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Autumnal - I like that. It is very orange and teal as well.

6. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

I've seen episode 1, but I agree with an early post that there were too many characters introduced in this episode.

Also
    Agreed. I think Vince Vaughan comes across well in the first episode, and I also prefer his dramatic performances to the comedy Vince

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the decision to get rid of the laugh track in season two.

enro99, Gumboo, GentleSenator and 4 others like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

ep3 was pretty good. It started off nicely with a very artsy opening scene and then ramped things up in the first half or so of the episode. Thereafter, things did get a little flat for a while, but it got interesting again towards the end. I think it helps that we know the characters better now. Rachel McAdams & Colin Farrell are definitely starting to stand out amongst the cast.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

They do seem to have picked up the pace a little with episode 3. I'm trying to figure out the point of blasting Velcoro with rubber pellets instead of the real thing :confused: Anyone have a theory on that?

wayneklein likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

To send a message?

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Made the mistake of watching ep. 3 after watching the outstanding season finale of Penny Dreadful. The episode/series, besides being s l o w, feels, I don't know, empty? With only 8 episodes to tell the story, sure seems like they're wasting a lot of time. Although I'm a fan of all the actors, only McAdams has impressed so far. And truthfully, she really hasn't done much, it's just that the others are SO flat. I'm giving it ONE more episode before I bail!

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I felt bad watching Vince Vaughn's fight scene, looked like a bad bit from Saturday Night Live!;)

stumpy likes this.
  13. That's the problem I had with season one of "True Detective". Just not enough substance to hang the dark, brooding drama on. I'm still goi g to give it a chance.

14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this season just really isn't very good. season 1 had bravura performances from McConaughey and Harrelson and atmosphere coming out of its shoes. this season is overpopulated with a lot of marginal performances and no atmosphere at all. for all of its faults, season 1 felt like something more than just a television show. season 2 feels like just another television show.

15. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

Yep, as mentioned before by others, slow moving and lacking humor but those are not the biggest problem with this season for me. The acting for the most part is fine (especially Farrell) but the other two leads, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch are big dissapointments. It seems to me their approach to acting as tough brooding cops is merely by squinting. They'd probably practiced hard on that look in front of a mirror and what we have is the very same expression plastered on their faces on every scene. Too bad I really liked McAdam's work before...

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd agree with you about Kitsch, but not so much about trying to act tough, more that he's just an uncharismatic lump of wood! And I totally disagree about Rachel. She's actually playing it low-key and just gets on with it. Clearly she has issues with personal vulnerability as she remarked to Ray when asked about all the blades she was packing, but her performance is excellent IMO.

zobalob and wayneklein like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i really like it so far...mcadams is the gem...she shows that she can act.

how about her boss telling her to f**k colin ferrell........i knew it would go there.

18. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I'm enjoying the series. There isn't much else of any substance on elsewhere.

19. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Vince Vaugh's character/acting reminds me of something out of Christopher Moltisanti's "Cleaver"

enro99, EVOLVIST and Mark E. Moon like this.
  20. Because they wanted to shock us and NOT kill Colin. They thought about it though...

21. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^Or to remove him from suspicion of being corrupt?

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

its a tough call based on what we know so far.........you cold be correct, but his wife offering the envelope tells us something different.......if anyone would know about anything illegal, wouldn't she?....or would she?

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'm enjoying it so far, sort of noir on steroids, although at times I feel as if David Lynch could have a really strong lawsuit against the show.
    Curious to see how they pursue the closeted angle with the character played by Kitsch.

Michael Ries and Rufus McDufus like this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's a Travis Bickle waiting to explode.

ralphb likes this.
  25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I think his flat take on the characters personality is intentional. If he indeed is closeted and fighting it, holding everything in check would make him come off that way. The comparison to Bickle is a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.