The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

New budget Japanese reissue (using 2005 mastering). Best I've heard this recording.

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That Jazz At the Plaza has always seemed underwhelming to me. I bought the single layer SACD from Sony circa 2001 and it is has never done much for me musically speaking. I'll give it another spin soon and see if I can be more specific.

WP Red Mitchell - One Long String (Sunnyside) reissued by Universal France.

NP Duke Jordan - Trio & Quintet (Savoy) 1991 Japanese reissue.

4. Lonson

I really like Bill Evans and Cannonball on Plaza, and Paul Chambers has a great picking' and hummin' solo. Sound isn't great, I have never sprung for the SACD, but it sounds really good on this reissue.

The Ellington at the Plaza is much better sounding and a really inspired performance.

Right now, budget reissue from Japan with 2005 mastering.
    [​IMG]

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks for your comments. I had never heard the album before I bought the SACD but I got it in a sale back around the time it came out along with 'Round About Midnight for very cheap so while it didn't cost a lot, I was disappointed with the sound on the Plaza disc. I'm assuming the source tape isn't great to begin with but I rarely play it. One of the few Miles albums from his discography I rarely play. I'll check out Cannonball and Chambers' playing when I play it next time, say in 2020. :) I hope I remember this!

NP Joni Mitchell - Shadows And Light (Asylum) WLP
    I guess this is jazz with Jaco, Metheny, Brecker and company playing this live date. I love this period of Joni's as much as her early folk material.

6. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

[​IMG]

gary peacock trio | now this | ecm 2428
    --

gary peacock - bass
    marc copland - piano
    joey baron - drums
    --

recorded july 2014 | rainbow studio | oslo

--

[​IMG]

7. Lonson

Well, I've known the lp since the 'seventies. .. it was more of a revolutionary release then than it seems now as there was little like this officially released beforehand. I like the whole vibe of the record company party at the hotel. . . I once suggested around the fiftieth anniversary of the Plaza recordings to Cuscuna that Columbia release a box set of what they had of the whole event as photos and a recounting of the event would have been very interesting, and I bet there's more interesting music to hear. But there didn't seem to be a chance of that happening.

Anyway I like it, there's a relaxed feeling to this and I like thinking of it as Miles playing for a different audience than usual.

Now listening to
    [​IMG]

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This afternoon, clearing out the mental dust with two altoists:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Not sure why a few members here have changed their avatars to the cover of Lester young's unity, but it prompted me to give this a listen for the first time today. I am enjoying it quite a bit...

Marzz and bluemooze like this.
  10. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Interesting, I didn't realize that other folks had changed to this avatar other than me - bummer, I may need to change again, don't want to be redundant!

Anyway, the really cool graphic on the cover was one reason I made it my avatar - but moreover, the fact that it's one of my very favorite jazz albums of all time, easily in the top 10. Just the lineup alone - Henderson, Shaw, Young, Jones - fierce! - and they utterly and completely deliver. It's one of those albums that starts off like a runaway freight train and just keeps picking up momentum. Tune selection, tempos, soloing, mix of musicians - all perfection!

11. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Well, I appreciate the recommendation... I am enjoying it.

Saw the image in your avatar and also in that of a couple of the folks discussing the dead stuff this past week or so...

Anyway, glad I gave it a listen, because I dig it, too...

DrJ likes this.
  12. Lonson

SHM-CD. Good music for packing.
    [​IMG]

13. Lonson

And the new SHM-CD has alternates never before released!

14. Lonson

Now onto Lee Morgan's last session. Can't help but wonder where his music would have gone had he not been gunned down right after this. . . .

SHM-CD
    [​IMG]

15. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Eberhard Weber - Pendulum (1993)
    ECM 1518

The best way to test a sound system and to dust off your room (and maybe upset your neighbours). :uhhuh:

[​IMG]

16. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Steve Lacy Octet- Vespers (Soul Note)
    [​IMG]
    From the Black Saint/Soul Note Quartet Quintet Sextet Octet box set.
    A lot of "et"s in that previous sentence.
    :winkgrin:

17. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

masterpiece alert! (there's no such thing as a bad weber record, imho)

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus. 80s reissue LP with different cover. Mastered by George Piros. Great sound quality, minus the collectors price :)

[​IMG]

19. vapor minor

:thumbsup: Eberhard is THE man! For me, one of the very few (underrated) gods in music! So sad, that he'll never be able to play his instrument again.
    I visited a Jan Garbarek concert 4 weeks after Eberhard Weber had had his stroke... so close, so sad!! :cry: Actually, I was there to see him primarily.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  20. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Always liked this photo. Lee exuding a relaxed confident look.

Marzz, ether-bored and TimArruda like this.
  21. vapor minor

Eberhard Weber - Fluid Rustle (1979)
    ECM 1137 - with Bill Frisell, Gary Burton, Norma Winstone

[​IMG]

22. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

I love Vespers - I play it to jazz fans who "can't stand" Irene Aebi's voice - may not change their overall view, but most will acknowledge that her singing on Vespers is "not so bad".:winkgrin:

23. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Not a fan of female jazz singers in general. I agree that she sounds fine on this though. NP

Steve Lacy Sextet- The Condor (Soul Note)

[​IMG]

24. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

[​IMG]

Not a single number is not a classic, even his interpretation of "Just a Gigolo".

25. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Interesting that this comes up at the same time as the Robert Christgau thread resurges -- it is his favorite album of all time.

macdaddysinfo likes this.