R.I.P. Chris Squire of YES

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd man

floyd man New Member

terrible news..so strange that in coincided almost to the day with the release of progeny...7 live shows of pure squire mastery...there will never be another like him....

2. Some of my favorite Yes songs showcasing Chris Squire's bass and vocals:
    Survival
    Starship Trooper
    Heart of the Sunrise
    The Fish (instrumental, live)
    Ritual Part 2 (live)
    Parallels
    On The Silent Wings of Freedom
    Tempus Fugit
    That, That Is
    Homeworld
    Spirit of Survival
    Can You Imagine (lead vocal)
    The Man You Always Wanted To Be (lead Vocal)

ledsox and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Like many, this has hit me like a ton of bricks. As a bass player he's surely influenced me not only in a musical way
    but in his attitude as well. I have an old Star Licks lesson video on VHS and I learned as much about his thought process
    and approach as much as the classic bass lines. I honestly haven't listened to Yes for a week now. Last Saturday I bought
    "Yes", "Time And A Word", and 90125 from HD tracks and was really getting into the first two albums like I had never before.
    The very next morning, last Sunday, I saw a post from Fish(ex-Marillion singer)mentioning Geoff Downes' twitter post that he had passed.
    It wasn't long after that it was announced and it seemed the whole internet just blew up. It also came right at the time at the end
    of last week that I'd been fighting some health issues myself. It just all kind of crashed at that point for me.

However, after reading all the messages from fans and all the musicians paying tribute in every way they could
    I'm starting to come around again. I realize he lives forever in our hearts and the music he contributed to that
    we're all fans of for life. I will pay my own respects in my own way by playing Yes this holiday weekend and even
    breaking my basses out to learn some classic Yes.

Thankyou and God bless you Chris Squire, and to all the Yes family, fans everywhere.

AndyNicks likes this.
  4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

"Castrati vocals"? ... ugh.

5. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

6. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

This was recently posted to YT. A pretty interesting video which was part of the Fish Out Of Water reissue.
    Chris listens to and does commentary on the album (plus an interview).

7. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Video tribute to Chris Squire from a fan.

Jeff57 likes this.
  8. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Priceless video...

9. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

That's because Chris owned the band name. Without him, no band could not be called Yes. If you count ABWH, there's Tony Levin.

I know there is no shortage of Chris Squire pictures on the Internet, but if you want to see the pictures I took of him when Yes played in my home town last year, here they are:

http://emiliopacheco.blogspot.com.br/2015/06/chris-squire-1948-2015.html

ledsox likes this.
  10. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Tony Levin never really worked for me

11. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Me neither. Tony Levin is a very good bassist, but he's just way too clinical for me. That may be why the ABWH album never quite worked for me (although it had its moments). On the other hand, Chris had a very organic style to his playing. Furthermore, Chris was the one person, who made me want to get a Rickenbacker bass.

Scottb likes this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I love the Spinal Tap-esque discussion of the bass with the long neck. "Why can't we go lower this way?"

13. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

at 0:14

Do I play a regular scale? (plays it perfectly) ... uh... no.

:D

chewy and Fields&Lanes like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Chris did not always own the band name. That was due to his longevity in the band more than the other way around.

15. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

'Clinical' is no way the word I'd use for Tony Levin's playing. :sigh:

16. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

I think he got it after the split after the Drama album. By then it was only Chris and Alan in limbo.

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks for posting that. I will watch it tonight.

18. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Different strokes for different folks.

19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Today It was kind of eerie going to the hard rock café in Southlake Tahoe and seen one of Chris's old Rickenbacker basses and also the old kimono jacket that he used to wear back in the 70's.

20. downer

downer Senior Member

21. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Beautiful Tribute from Alan White:

http://alanwhite.net/christopher/

"It has been harder than I can say to put thoughts to words—to express the sense of loss I feel upon the passing of my cherished friend and band mate, Chris Squire.I am without one of the most important, most loved people in my life. I always called him “Christopher”; it was his formal name and a term of endearment that I hope conveyed my respect and affection for the man who was always a gentle but strong leader; a steadfast rock of my existence.

Partnered together for forty-three years as the complicated rhythm section of YES, throughout the years and in so many ways he was my true brother; the one I never had. He was the driving force in YES from the beginning and I admired his passion. Striving for musical perfection, he set the bar high for himself and expected nothing less from the musicians around him. With deep conviction, even through occasional differences of opinion, we were united in our belief of YES music and the need to keep it alive and interesting. Through good times and hard times, we were kindred spirits, I had his back and he had mine. We shared a sometimes unspoken communication, it was something we just knew and understood. We were relentless in our quest to create meaningful music that would live on with or without us—I just never expected to be without his company at this early time in our lives.

It will be more difficult than I can imagine to perform on stage without looking at that imposing pillar of strength alongside me. He will be missed the world over but none is greater than the loss in my heart. He is no longer a fish out of water, he is free and swimming in the big ocean now.

Gigi and I want to thank all of our dear friends who have left voicemails, sent emails and cards, and given us tremendous support through this difficult time. There are too many to respond to individually, but please know that we have listened to and read each and every one of your messages and greatly appreciate everyone who has reached out to us. We are truly blessed with love and friendship.

Our thoughts are with all the Squire family members and loved ones—you are in our hearts and prayers

With love,
    Alan"

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Carserguev, ultron9, Endymion and 9 others like this.
  22. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Great vid- hilarious! Thanks for posting this.

Jeff57 likes this.
  23. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Chris on this track from way back; also, actual film of Steve playing impossible frills and riffs in the solo. I always loved that bit.

24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

1 Hell of a bass player..................:cheers: RIP

25. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.