Pre/Pro recommendations that is HDMI ready and is a decent two channel performer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hammmerhead, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new world man

new world man Member

What I have or don't is neither here nor there. I don't use an HT bypass (no need for it, the Onkyo is excellent) and I've bought it in comparison to solid two channel amps by HK, Exposure (the 3010S2) and a Leema Pulse.

And by others I mean Andrew Everard - aforesaid reviewer of many years standing, currently at Hi Fi News and Hi Fi Widow publications, formerly of What Hifi for many years (like, when they were good). Also has his own site (Words and Music). Oh, and he owns one. As in, in one of his home systems and he still rates it and he still uses it for review purposes too. I'll add in Noel Keywood, publisher of Hi Fi World who's reviewed more Onkyo gear than most in the last five or six years and also rated the 818.

I'll let you work out what gear they've used. Hint, a range, over a wide spectrum of prices. That's just two. You can find others on the web. I'm pointing out that they produce good quality gear with great sound quality. You're trying to dismiss it asnd make out your experience is of greater worth. Doesn't work that way mate.

Oh - ;)

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm nothing if not repetitive. Polly Wanna Preamp?

Yeah, all bets are off now. :laugh:

Linger63 likes this.
  3. Hammmerhead

Hammmerhead Member Thread Starter

My two front channels and my two rear channel speakers are 600lbs alone. I DONT have a WAF issue, just want her to be able to use it with a little training :) Sorry, but since Im new my posts are taking a while to get "approved." How long will my posts need to be approved? Cant seem to set up an Avatar either. hmm

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Sorry about the WAF chuckle, but the phenomenon puzzles me. It isn't just WAFs or women. I set up HTs for all sorts of friends, dumb everything down to the simplest universal remote ever, and somehow the process goes off the rails 9x outa 10. :confused:

Honestly, I've always assumed the Oppo outputs are fixed, especially the 5.1. Also assumed you'd have to address usage-as-a-pre somewhere in the Oppo setup; fixed should be a default. Volume should be controlled in the Denon, like normal.

Best to ask Oppo directly. Their customer service is most responsive.

5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I would seriously take a look at what marantz would offer.

6. Hammmerhead

It has Fixed and variable outputs to use it as a decoder and what not for stereo and multi channel (I think). If I read it right, a previous post mentioned to try the Oppo as full control using the variable output as a Pre and decoder direct to the amp. That isn't gong to work for my needs. Just looking for a better all in one solution. The Anthem may be it for the money as it has stellar specs and seems to be regarded as great sounding piece from Sonic Frontiers. Nobody likes HDMI problems though and like many have mentioned here a Marantz pre may be the ticket. I just don't know how much Im gaining going from Denon to Marantz

I money wasn't an issue a Mac MX 121 would be an easy decision

7. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

i have been happy with the sound and features of xmc-1 and have used both oppo 105 and 103 with it. While I wish I had the 105d for DSD I sold the 105 and kept the 103 and use the xmc1 Dac.

The mag reviews like stereophile have been positive even at the new higher price.

Prior I used a high end stereo tube preamp (Dodd Audio) which had great sound but no pass through and I wanted the convience of a pre pro.

I think the xmc-1 delivers on the promise of good stereo sound with pre pro features at a reasonable price....certainly better than original DMC-1 at $2500 MSRP and Denon 3805 I have used.

8. Hammmerhead

My 103D has DSD playback. Does the XMC1 not accept DSD or is there some variable I am not aware of with the 103?

9. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I recently moved and no longer have a dedicated music room. In most ways this will be a good thing as I'll listen to more music, but since I have an integrated amp I've been wondering what to do with my Apple TV and DVD player. I could try connecting them to my TV instead of the AVR and using the optical out from the TV into my DAC, but I'm starting to feel like one of the Oppo players may be a better overall solution.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The XMC-1 will accept DSD when using HDMI from the 103 and the 105D with a slight issue. There is a volume dependent thump when stopping SACDs when the Oppo is set to DSD with HDMI. Emotiva claims there is a new FW due out soon that corrects this issue.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.