If you had a radio of your own as a child or teenager, what model was it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulKTF, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I had a combination AM radio/record player by Panasonic. It was portable and operated on either 4 C-cell batteries or AC power. The radio was not very good in picking up distant stations.

2. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Not my photo, but I had a unit EXACTLY like this one when growing up. I think I received it in 5th grade...I remember playing Ace Frehley's solo album on it Christmas morning in 1978. Ahh, memories. :)

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I was about to compliment you for the 8-Track in the machine in that picture! :)

That's quite the way to celebrate KISSmas... er... Christmas. :)

psulioninks likes this.
  4. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

Wow, I had that radio in my room during my high school years. I think my Dad got it through the Air Force MARS program.

5. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

AF MARS mostly handed out Collins gear when I was a kid. That's why everyone joined. But if you didn't participate you might be asked to give it back, so most people would get it, participate for about six months, then claim "it broke" and hope to be told they could "cannibalize" it, for parts. Magically they started working after that.

The Collins was a better radio in terms of performance but it was a restricted coverage set, not general coverage like the Hammarlunds, so it was no good for AM broadcast or shortwave broadcast and utility copying unless you bought a $2o crystal for each 250 or 500 kHz segment you wanted to cover. Audio was pretty restricted too.

The Hammarlund sounded great through the old tape machine speaker.

6. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I had a small portable Panasonic transistor radio like this one:
    [​IMG]

I used to take it everywhere, listen to music, hockey & football games. Fond memories!

7. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Saved up for a year and a half for this.

telliott likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Whoa! It looks like you could phone home to E.T's home planet with that thing!

George P likes this.
  9. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

When I a was maybe 8 (So... 1992 or 93ish) I got a "boombox" type thing.... AM/FM, tape deck, and a top loading CD player. A few years later I got a changer system, I think this one...

[​IMG]

Then a few years later moved to a Pioneer 5.1 system, which for space reasons I usually ran as just a 2.0 or 2.1 system. That lasted me a LONG time (Damn thing just wouldn't die...) until I gradually moved into a component system. Didn't actually ditch that receiver until about a year ago I replaced it with a Rega Brio-R - it was an old enough model that it didn't really have digital processing (other than a few gimmicky fake surround settings) so as long as your source was good it didn't sound half bad.

10. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Those were the days...listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn on a transistor radio..1210 WCAU am.

11. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

[​IMG]

My first radio. I used it so much the doors fell off and I couldn't satisfactorily glue them back on. I was ticked but soon realized it was time to upgrade!

George P likes this.
  12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

And Chris Wheeler and Andy Musser, but of course Harry and Ritchie were The Voices.

I didn't get to watch too many Phillies games when I was a kid (we only had one TV and my mom was about as anti-sports as is humanly possible) but I listened to almost every game that wasn't a west coast trip (those games started too late for me, I was already asleep).

13. Rochdale3

Rochdale3 Forum Resident

I knew I'd find a picture of mine on the internet:

[​IMG]

14. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

When I was really young I made a Heathkit radio that was all mine. I did a quick search and could not find a picture of it. It was white and the shape of a box of Eggo waffles but not as big.

15. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Other than a clock radio, this was the first that was actually mine.

[​IMG]

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I still have this and it still works!

[​IMG]

17. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

The cheapest one that Sears sold, with an earplug.

18. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I had a Philco AM/FM tube table top radio no one else in the family wanted. It sounded pretty good, and it had excellent reception. I don't know what happened to it, but I wish I still had it.

19. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I had an AM/FM table radio that was housed in a wooden case, maybe a GE. I'd asked for a radio for countless birthdays and Christmases and finally got this one for Christmas in the late 60s. I must have thanked my parents a million times and listened to many all-Beatle weekends on it (I still remember falling asleep with the radio on and waking up and hearing "Across the Universe" for the first time). My family's apartment got burgled on Thanksgiving 1970 and my radio was one of the few things taken (along with my parents' reel to reel). It was years before I got another one and I never did listen to the radio as much as I did that first one.

20. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

21. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

A Silvertone tube AM table top white bakelite thing.

22. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Blauplunkt transistor radio, 1965.

23. bodine

bodine Senior Member

And before Kalas, By Saam and Bill Campbell...

And on Philly AM radio....

Butterball!
    Sonny Hopson! The Mighty Burner!
    Georgie Woods! The Guy with the Goods!
    Jerry Blavat! The Geator!
    Hy Lit! Hyski!
    Long John Wade!
    George Michael!

And on FM...

Harvey Holiday!
    Michael Cuscuna!
    Michael Tierson!
    Ed Sciaky!
    Herman!

Philly radio was beyond boss....

24. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Well in the very late 1960's and early to mid 1970's my Philco tube radio was always tuned to... "FM 93.3, THE radio station- WMMR." :agree:

25. bodine

bodine Senior Member

When I started listening to Philly underground--first WDAS and then WMMR (and sometimes to WXPN, where I worked briefly as a college sophomore)--I listened on my Harman Kardon receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.