30th Anniversary of BACK TO THE FUTURE

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

:sigh:

2. Vidiot

I think BTTF II uses a combination of old footage from the first movie and newly-shot footage with the stand-in. What's interesting is that Glover sued the crap out of Universal for using a replacement guy that imitated his appearance and voice, and I think after a protracted dispute, Glover settled and got a good chunk of change. He talked about the lawsuit on an appearance on the Howard Stern Radio Show in the mid-1990s. Glover actually had some regrets, but he came across as a squirrelly guy.

I think given what they had to do, the actors in the movie did a remarkable job of acting like they were in their 40s, their teens, and their 70s. Glover might have been the best out of all of them, even considering the makeup.

It's strong and it's sudden, it can be cruel sometimes... but it might just save your life.

musicfan37 and MikeInFla like this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's awesome... I want that as MY text notification now, too! (Well, either that or the "ping" from Pink Floyd's "Echoes") ;)

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

If you have an Android is is available on the "Zedge" app. Download it and search for Back To The Future in notifications.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gee, sorry that my nostalgic fondness for "Jaws 2" upsets you! :rolleyes:

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

revisiting the trilogy...still entertaining.

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I can never get enough of this trilogy. I buy every medium the movie comes out on. I love watching the newest added features. Ill continue to buy them more. (Makes me understand why people keep buying the same Beatles album over and over) I still have to get rid of the vhs copies. I also bought the laserdisc trilogy to hang nice mirrory discs on the wall. Come to think about it, tonight I have grommet curtains to hang, I will be running this trilogy on the sound system.

MikeInFla and Michael like this.
  8. Michael

me too...just finished BTTF 1! will continue on...never gets old and always stays fresh...

budwhite likes this.
  9. Michael

I was unaware of this...gonna look for the double in BTTF 2. Pretty neat.

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I still love the first film of the series and watch it on occasion on Laserdisc, just for fun!

I'll admit it, but I'm a sucker for seeing old locations of where famous scenes were filmed and some guy actually took the time to hunt down many of these locations and he put together a fun little film. You might enjoy this?

11. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Thanks! I did enjoy that.
    I'm looking forward to touring these locations myself in October.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hard to believe it's 30 years old.

I remember riding my bike to see it the first time...

Benno123 likes this.
  13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Have fun! I'll be sure to tell my wife that there actually are other people in the world, who like to see this kind of stuff, as I'm pretty sure that she thinks that I'm crazy. When we got on the old Columbia/Screen Gems backlot (now "The Warner Brothers Ranch"), a few years ago and I got to see all of the homes and facades of most of the TV shows that I watched in the late '60's and early '70's ("Bewitched", "I Dream Of Jeannie", "Partridge Family", etc.), she thought that I had died and gone to heaven. And then, when we drove down to Culver City and realized that everything related to "The Andy Griffith Show", "Mayberry R.F.D.", "Gomer Pyle", along with my wife's youthful favorite, "Hogan's Heroes", had all been razed and is now long gone, we were full of sadness. Doesn't really take much to excite me, as you can tell!

I'd be the happiest guy in the world if I could just stand for 10 minutes, in old studios like "Gold Star", "United Western", "Capitol Tower" and "A&M", in L.A. or "Columbia 30th Street", "Bell Sound" and "A&R" in New York and breath in all of that sound and magic. Too bad that most of these famous studios are gone or are unaccessible to fans. Most would call these places "a part of history that should be shared", while others have no problem with them being torn down for a parking lot or new homes.

14. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

From 2008:
    [​IMG]

chilinvilin, MikeInFla and Chris C like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Ain't this the truth!

Wish for once to walk into a number of music studios for a tour or breath in the air of the room, probably in my Dreams now!

chilinvilin, MikeInFla and Chris C like this.
  16. Michael

and after 30 years it still doesn't get old! I wish they would have done another...Back, back, back, back to the future! too cool.

17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I wish Universal would remaster the trilogy on Bluray, the previous set was disappointing.

18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I watched the first movie yesterday. Was a few years ago now. Looking forward to see #2 because that must be more than ten years since. #3 I've seen almost as much as the first. I remember when we rented the vhs in the early 90s and later watched them every year or so on tv. Perfect family movies

chilinvilin likes this.
  19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Not according to my 7-year-old niece. She saw "Back To The Future" a few months ago, after which we had the following conversation:

Niece: It's not a good movie for kids. They said bad a bad word in it!
    Me: Really? Which word?
    Niece: (long pause....looks around to make sure that her dad can't hear)....They said, "Butt-head"!

(She had never heard the 'S-word' before, so she had no idea that a much naughtier word was uttered several times in the movie.)

budwhite likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They said worse than that. "S**T! right before Biff and Co. slam into the manure truck and "What, do we become assholes?" at the end of the film.

21. Vidiot

You mean this one?

[​IMG]

Looks fine to me, and Universal spent a fortune getting all the negatives scanned and the color-correction approved by Zemeckis and DP Dean Cundey.

Dan C likes this.
  22. Michael

yea, BTTF trilogy is a mess...the cursing should be edited out. DEMAND a recall!

23. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

As a "purist" I am bothered by the use of DNR, edge enhancement and contrast boost. You can see comparisons between the Bluray and a HDTV source here:

Bluray: http://i.imgur.com/TvMpRqR.jpg
    HDTV: http://i.imgur.com/RAwnMOz.jpg

Bluray: http://i.imgur.com/m6Pd7Ji.jpg
    HDTV: http://i.imgur.com/k6LFbJd.jpg

24. Vidiot

I would bet you there was only one HD transfer. You misunderstand the definitions and technology of DNR (which is no longer used), and there is no such thing as "edge enhancement." There is aperture correction (not quite the same thing) and there's H&V enhancement, there's sharpening, and there's frequency-dependent enhancement. All different things.

It's kind of like confusing "bass boost" and "treble boost" with all EQ adjustments. It's not the same. EQ can be very, very subtle, or it can be extreme. There's ten different kinds of grain reduction out there -- some gross, some very mild, some absolutely invisible. DNR was part of the Digital Vision DVNR suite, which as far as I know has pretty much been discarded, but some of the algorithms were incorporated into Digital Vision Nucoda, an entire color-correction system. (Universal Digital Video Systems, who did this transfer, did it all in Resolve 2K so there may or may not be some Resolve enhancement and some Resolve Temporal NR... which has virtually no artifacts.)

How was your monitor adjusted and how are you judging the picture quality you're seeing? If there's ringing in the picture (white edges superimposed on black detail, a typical sign of overenhancement), how do you know the monitor isn't creating the problem? I've seen all three Blu-rays and think they look fine, based on my experience. I have no axe to grind and have never worked for UDVS, though I knew people over there who do extremely good work.

This is not a simple problem -- it's very, very complex.

somnar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.