I hate Jurassic Park! Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I thought the movie was ok. Never thought it was a great film.

PlushFieldHarpy likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I never really stopped to think about it but yeah....that electric fence scene is pretty stupid. The kid should have died, dammit!

It's a light-hearted family adventure film so I don't really expect it to be logical and realistic. Not to mention all the dinosaurs running around. Just a summer blockbuster with fancy special effects. I find it enjoyable enough, though I think I've only seen it two or three times. I have the DVD on the shelf but I don't think I've ever played it. Never seen any of the sequels either.

Spielberg does sugar coat things to a sickening point at times, I agree. This is why I absolutely hate E.T.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Yeah, that's how I watch it mainly now,,bits and pieces every month or so. That's enough for me.

4. It's a movie guys. Suspend disbelief and enjoy.

It reminds me of all the movies thst get things wrong about the Golden Gate Bridge. I cross it for work but still can enjoy the films (although I do ask why the small details weren't kept because it was t like it was a major plot killer)

Wondering and Hot Ptah like this.
  5. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I do think Spielberg was starting to strain at this point, although the dinosaurs pulled it off. I remember getting into an argument with my friend after seeing it for the first time. He didn't like it and I took him to task for not just appreciating it for what it was. I think I was a bit of an a## back then. The film doesn't offer much beyond the obvious thrills, unless you're overly enamoured with the cute kids and Jeff Goldblum.
    I think the electric fence scene mainly functioned as suspense when he was still climbing on it while the seconds ticked down before it was turned on. But the blackened skin and sizzled hair were a bit over the top. And wasn't the kid like twitching for awhile afterward? That seemed a little in bad taste.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Fair enough. I've seen it a bunch of times over the last 22 years and think it remains entertaining. Not Spielberg's best ever, but arguably his best since the 80s.

I thought you were being sarcastic because... well, because it's you! :D

7. Oatsdad

I never minded "toasted Timmy" too much, but it bugged me that he bothered to climb to the top of the fence at all. The holes in that fence were enormous - I think all three of them could've fit through the holes, but at the very least, little Tim could've done that.

The kid didn't need to climb the stupid fence - go through the holes, ya dope!

DHamilton likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

I think Spielberg "started to strain" after "ET". "Temple of Doom" was enjoyable but a big step down from its predecessors, and I thought "Color Purple" was weak.

I like "Empire of the Sun", and "Last Crusade" was a pretty good return to form, but "Always" was forgettable and "Hook" was awful.

I thought "JP" was a bounceback after those two - and I think it's a better movie than "Schindler's List"... :hide:

9. Oatsdad

To be fair, the first act - heck, even the first half - provides an "origin story". The movie needs time to introduce the characters and set up the situations before the action begins.

I think the semi-prolonged intro works fine. It creates suspense and gets us involved in the movie's universe.

Besides, there's some action before the main characters encounter the dinosaurs. Heck, deaths occur in the movie's first scene, IIRC!

I think it's a lot like "Jaws" in terms of construction: a few dollops of mayhem/action in the first half with a lot more to come in the second half...

10. Hey, when I'm being sarcastic you'll know it, baby! :)

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think "Last Crusade" was the only movie he made worth a damn between 'Raiders' and 'J.P.'

I like "Schindler", "Minority Report", "A.I.", and "Private Ryan" too. But looking over his body of work at a director....a lot of stink there. Far too much stink. But damn do I love "Jaws".

Solaris likes this.
  12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The novel definitely wasn't a light-hearted family adventure, which is why Spielberg's cutesy-pie leanings really pissed me off.

13. Kelan Wood

Kelan Wood Forum Resident

You're not alone. I know people who don't like it. That said as much as you're entitled to your own opinion, I don't quite understand these reasons myself. It doesn't matter the logic of how the kid survived, it's that the audience is supposed to want him to come out okay. It's the idea of building suspense that Spielberg is a master of.

14. Kelan Wood

Kelan Wood Forum Resident

You don't like The Color Purple or Empire of the Sun? Two of his best dramas. How about E.T? Classic.

15. Oatsdad

"Empire of the Sun" needed time to grow on me, but I now think it's probably SS's best "serious" movie:

http://www.dvdmg.com/empireofthesunbr.shtml

Kelan Wood likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Is this a sarcastic comment? :confused: ;)

17. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I love the film, in spite of its flaws. I agree with the OPs dislike of the electric fence scene; while suspenseful, it does ignore electrical science. Worse for me is the cliche Hollywood loves to use with people escaping from a threat (bad guys, dinosaurs, etc.) by climbing into a suspended ceiling. I worked in architecture for a number of years and I can tell you that the grid and the tiles are completely incapable of supporting the weight of even a child, much less 2 adults and 2 children. That scene really tests my suspension of disbelief. Otherwise, the rest of the films flaws don't bother me enough to change how much I really like it.

18. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I loved the movie and typically don't notice any of those issues. Unless it's a submarine movie, in which case I nitpick everything.

DHamilton likes this.
  19. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

I disagree to an utterly ridicoulously high degree.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its Dinosy World. Its not suppose to be a horror film. Scarey enough for the adults, not too scarey for 7 yr olds. Its called a family film.

21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

me too

22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Having touched exposed DC wires when I was a kid (stupid, stupid!) and having been thrown quite a ways, I can attest to this.

Except for dead as a doornail part, of course.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, in retrospect it's a pretty dumb film, but I can still remember the thrill I got watching what passes for a very lifelike T-Rex on the movie screen for the first time.

However, you still have to listen to Laura Dern and others emote such idiotic lines as, "You can't think your way through this, John. You have to feel it." Oh really? Emotions are going to get you off of an island infested with man-eating runaway dinosaurs? Too much thinking got everyone in that predicament? :laugh:

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

25. 1 decent film and 3 crappy sequels. Not liking Jurassic Park (the franchise) makes sense to me.

As for the new one specifically, everyone is kinda "Meh." about it even though it's making gobs of money. Which validates that idea that the amount of money made doesn't mean people like it. Why are so many people going to see it then? I dunno, curiosity, boredom, loyalty to the franchise, because everyone else is doing it.

As for the first one I remember not really liking it, but just kept my mouth shut cuz everyone else raved about it. I think the novelty of it was what they liked but who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.