Brian Wilson biopic: Love and Mercy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Funny, I didn't think the movie was messy or unconventional enough. I liked it quite a bit but would have loved something that was a little more consistently as passionate and tough as it sometimes was in contrasting the focus and control of BW in the studio to the unhinged aspects of his private life. It was fairer and more compassionate than any treatment of the subject I expected, but I wish it had been a bit more artful and cinematic (apart from the sound design, which was brilliant), and a little riskier in general -- but I understand that, with Wilson himself "authorizing" it, this is about as far as it could've gone in that direction.

Almost all of the music played the film seems iconic to me so I'm not sure what you mean about that.

goodiesguy and Drifter like this.
  2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I absolutely loved the non-linear way his story unfolds! And, I've not seen a lot of folks saying they couldn't follow it.

Far from being a mess, I hereby predict the editing will be one of the many categories nominated at awards time.

Karsten and Drifter like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The non linear storytelling was fine, IMHO, as was the two Brians. But I think this film plays primarily to those who are already familiar with the story. I think what's missing, relative to a more traditional narrative/film, e.g. Walk the Line or the Ray Charles movie, is a coherent narrative that is very clear to even those unfamiliar with any of the story. And that's why this film is struggling to make $10 million. That doesn't make it a bad film. But it does mean that it won't reach as far as a conventional film would have.

sgtmono likes this.
  4. davenav

I don't think that's true at all. I've seen plenty of positive reactions from folks who aren't really familiar with Brian and/or are not that keen on the BB's.

It's an art-house biopic, and it's not surprising that the big popcorn movies are leaving it with a small audience. Had this come out in the fall, I'd guess it would do better. But, it's high audience rating could give it legs, kinda like Midnight In Paris was able to achieve.

5. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The storytelling is really not even that non-linear. This wasn't "Traffic" or "21 Grams" (thank god).
    "Love and Mercy" basically goes back and forth between two periods in his life, and within each of those periods, the story is entirely linear (with the exception of a montage near the beginning and end).

And it's nothing like "Get on Up" which jumped all over the place and was completely non-linear, and which didn't allow for any emotional connection, imho.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think there's talk of including Let It Be as a hidden bonus feature on the Blu-Ray.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That would be cool. I saw the movie in the theater, but I'd consider getting the BluRay if they include that as an extra.

8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

My wife and I saw it -- she didn't know the story at all, while I've interviewed Brian many times and know every detail. She loved the movie. I felt it was kinda shallow - but then again, that's from knowing there was more to the story. I found myself fact-checking it in my head the whole time (and it was pretty good!). But I kept thinking "I wish they'd go into this or that..."

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Turning a Beach Boys DVD into a Beatles one. SHTV strikes again!

10. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I saw the film the first weekend with three other people who did not know the backstory as well as I do. They all enjoyed the film immensely. I thought the non-linear editing fit very well and was well done, not jarring to me at all. I plan to purchase the blu-ray when it's released. I hope there are lots of extras.

Vidiot and Bill like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I gotta say, almost 24 hours later, the film has really stuck with me. One thing I forgot to mention is the single greatest thing the film does is that I felt like it really portrayed how deadly Brian's insanity was, and how awful his bad days must be -- hearing voices, hearing masses of detached pieces of music, floating away in a semblance of unreality and reality. I really got a sense of what life must be like for the poor guy.

Somebody in this thread posted a quote from Brian where he was asked, "is this movie accurate?", and he basically said, "yes, only my life was a lot worse." :eek:

I look forward to them releasing a 3-hour version of the movie with lots of outtakes and much more 1960s Paul Dano as Brian in the studio. That stuff is great.

Oh, and kudos to real-life engineer Mark Linett, playing 1960s engineer Chuck Britz. They even gave Mark a line in one scene, which I thought was nice. Mark is a very nice (and funny) guy in real-life, and I'm glad they threw him a bone with the movie.

goodiesguy, vince, Dee Zee and 2 others like this.
  12. Vidiot

I thought the non-linear storytelling didn't advance the plot like it could have. To me, it just felt too "showy" and "artsy," just an attempt to be another flashy indie drama.

If it was Brian in the present looking back, and the flashback explained or amplified something he's going through today, I could understand using this technique. Godfather is a good example of a movie that jumped around in time quite a bit, and I had absolutely no problem following it, plus it all made perfect sense. This movie... not so much.

But there's much too like in the film and I would still recommend it, particularly to hardcore Beach Boys fans. The studio scenes were impeccably done, with the right mics, consoles, tape decks, the whole deal -- though I'm not sure if Gold Star had 4-track Scully decks in this era.

Although that R&RHofF clip would destroy any good felling the audience had about Mike Love in the movie. :sigh:

izgoblin, Dee Zee and Sammy Banderas like this.
  13. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

This was too cool not to share.

This still looks like it might have been taken from a scene that was excised from the film. I continue to marvel at how "right" this all looks. I know there are some scenes director Pohlad has referenced from the SMiLE era that were cut (probably due to running time). Let's all huddle in prayer for a longer cut and/or deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray/DVD.

[​IMG]

More hi-res exclusive stills that to my eyes are new. Very cool.

http://blogs.virginmedia.com/movies/blogs/exclusive-stills-from-love-and-mercy

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

That's not from the scene where Brian is playing piano in the sandbox and has the initial idea for Good Vibrations?

15. Jason Manley

No, screen shot from that scene:

[​IMG]

16. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing those stills, JCM! That Landy still is intriguing. Looks like it's from the "bedroom years."

Jason Manley likes this.
  17. Jason Manley

Yep, for sure. Maybe from an unused flashback?

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Speaking as a longtime LA post guy, I'd say nope. That won't happen. I could positively see some best acting nods.

The problem with a non-linear editing style is it has to be justified and it has to advance the story. I think Pulp Fiction was the film that inspired a lot of other people to take a risk and go with this technique over the last 20 years, but that's the exception rather than the rule. In Pulp Fiction's case, it was wildly successful and worked extremely well. This film... not so much. I was never confused with Pulp Fiction.

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Last few days of its run here. :cry: I feel the need to see it a second time on the big screen before it leaves! Guess I'll be going Wednesday. [​IMG]

20. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The editing of Love and Mercy was completely justified and advanced the story. The film aims to create an intimate portrait of Brian Wilson by portraying two very specific periods of his life. It alternates between these two periods to keep the film moving. If the film presented young Brian's story from start to finish followed by old Brian's story, it would be oddly static and would not lend as much depth to Brian's character. By seeing the "two Brian's" juxtaposed throughout the film, we get a more complete picture of the man than if those two stories were completely separate and 100% linear.

And I'll say it again, I don't even think "non-linear" is an accurate description here. It's a simple alternating storyline. Each storyline is almost 100% linear within itself with the exception of two montage sequences. It's not like the film begins with Brian and Melinda getting married and then jumps to Brian doing LSD in 1967. That would be confusing.

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm thinking of hitting the matinee today myself to knock a few cobwebbs loose...

Drifter likes this.
  22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Apologies if this was discussed, but has there been any update on a soundtrack? I thought the collage of Beach Boys sounds was pretty interesting.

23. davenav

I think the justification is there.

By juxtaposing the high point in his life with the low point, they were able to make a two hour picture!

If I'd written it, it would have been a 12-episode mini-series ala John Adams.

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Got a very good review in Sight and Sound, the UK's serious film monthly mag.

25. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Saw it last night. Loved it!

Drifter and She is anyway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.