Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full (Unmasters)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

What is this version of the album. Is it official and if so how does one get it? It's looks far less less compressed than even the vinyl!

[​IMG]

2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Just a sick hoax to upset us.

Jack_Straw likes this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I would be all over this "Unmastered" version if it was real. I hope it's not some guy who just did some tinkering with the standard mastering that somehow affected the DR rating.

4. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

There are a bunch of these listed at http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=unmaster

I think it's some dude who runs these brickwalled discs through a "declipping" filter in a DAW. I haven't heard any of them, but I don't see how it could help all that much. The damage is already done.

5. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

That album is shrill and sizzle-y on purpose I think.

It would be nice to hear a more natural mix.

Alex Zabotkin and supermd like this.
  6. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

There's a chance that neither the mix nor the mastering is the problem. What if the original session multitracks are that way? Who knows? :cry:

7. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

OK, been doing some DE-clipping (and slight EQ) and it indeed improves the sound. For example the big drum in "Vintage Clothes" stands out in it's own space more forward in the mix and you can hear the reverb around it.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I don't know, I have found a copy of the "Unmasters" version that I'm listening to and it has a clarity that I am not used to with this album. I've listened to the album a couple of times now and my ears don't hurt. Definitely my goto version of the album now, doesn't feel so forced into your ears.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    nicolas0280 likes this.
  9. firedog

firedog Forum Resident

I downloaded a version called "reverse volume compression". I don't know what the guy did to the album (used a sweetener?), but it has average DR of 11 vs 5 for the CD. And it sounds much better to me. I literally can't listen to the CD, I can listen to this.
    The real hope is that McCartney will bring out a hi-res version. So far he hasn't destroyed his hi-res releases with the super high VC. The last one ("New") sounded much better than the CD as it had about double the DR rating.

supermd likes this.
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

While I'm not convinced that this is legit I'd love the chance to test that theory!

Chris from Chicago and supermd like this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just listened to "Ever Present Past" from the "reverse volume compression" version and compared it multiple times to the standard MAF version and it is indeed much better. I don't know how the guy did it. Job well done! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.